Thread: Correct SF DG Switch for a Colt M45A1 / CCU

Correct SF DG Switch for a Colt M45A1 / CCU

There are multiple "railed 1911" Surefire DG switch options. Which one will properly fit the particular frame of the M45A1 / Colt Combat Unit guns?

My last two 1911s were the Kimber Warrior and a Springfield custom shop LtWt Operator. Both used the DG18a but I havent had one of M45/CCU guns alpng side either of them. Sorry.

Jay, I have one of those M45'a that was returned to Colt and resold. It's off being wrenched on right now. If it's not urgent, I can get you a set of measurements and a Surefire part number when it returns.

Hope that helps.

Are the dimensions of the M45 different from those of the Rail Gun?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Yes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Not these days. Any recently produced Colt with a rail will have the same rail dimensions. They standardized their railed frames a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Not these days. Any recently produced Colt with a rail will have the same rail dimensions. They standardized their railed frames a few years back.
    I thought the M45/CCU frame had a thicker rail section than the Rail Guns. I was under the impression that holsters will not interchange.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I thought the M45/CCU frame had a thicker rail section than the Rail Guns. I was under the impression that holsters will not interchange.
    That was absolutely true until Colt standardized on the M45 frame for all their Rail Guns. If you buy a brand new production stainless Colt Rail Gun it will have the exact same frame dimensions as the M45. There are still some "new old stock" Rail Guns with the earlier frames available for sale (on Gunbroker, etc...) and of course used guns, but the models with the earlier frames haven't been in production for a few years.
    Last edited by Robinson; 01-04-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    That was absolutely true until Colt standardized on the M45 frame for all their Rail Guns. If you buy a brand new production stainless Colt Rail Gun it will have the exact same frame dimensions as the M45. There are still some "new old stock" Rail Guns with the earlier frames available for sale (on Gunbroker, etc...) and of course used guns, but the models with the earlier frames haven't been in production for a few years.
    Well then.. I have a DG18 on the X400 on my Rail Gun.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Correct SF DG Switch for a Colt M45A1 / CCU

Yeah I also have a DG-18 but held off on answering because I have one of the older Rail Guns and don’t know about the M45...

My brother in law has one though, if I find the DG switch before this gets answered I can probably find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-05-2019 at 12:46 AM.

User Tag List