Thread: New Israeli App Automatically Zeroes Rifles and LMGs

New Israeli App Automatically Zeroes Rifles and LMGs

I was at a trade show for the Aerospace Training Industry in Orlando in November, and ran across a booth touting this application for zeroing rifles. I thought it was pretty interesting.

It appears to use a patent-pending algorithm to analyze a picture of a target and automatically provide the adjustments to your sight necessary to zero it out, all using your smart phone:

https://www.double-shoot.com/

They advertise it with the following features:

"- An advanced and simple to use application. instructional and training system that utilizes technology in order to quickly and accurately zero rifles and light machine guns – the weapon is zeroed to a high level

- Displays the group size as a measure - against the costumer’s definition

- An advanced image processing system with learning capabilities

- A data-preservation and processing system with data analysis intelligence

- Significantly cuts down on time, ammunition, and man power – three important resources

- Wide distribution, by using a smart phone - Your Own Device"

Apparently after entering your information including rifle, sight, and target, you take a picture of the target with your smart phone, then shoot your course of fire. You then take another picture, and the system then analyzes the target and provides the sight adjustments (left / right, up / down) required to zero the weapon.

I hasten to add, I know virtually zero about rifles and even less about zeroing them, but I know some of you guys shoot rifle regularly for .leo or .mil, and I was curious what your take on it was.

Not leo or mil, but I zero at 100 yds and both my rifles use .1mrad turrets. Shoot a group, use reticle to measure adjustments needed, shoot again, usually all set. I don't even have to get up from the bench.

ETA I could see how this would be helpful for getting large numbers of people zeroed properly when the knowledge and skill levels vary widely.
    Last edited by texag; 01-03-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I was curious what your take on it was.
    It looks like just the ticket for people who can't count squares on a target.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

It's funny how their own photos show a target with grid squares displayed. There are already smart phone apps (I have one that measure your group size and tell you how far away in minutes you are off from the center).

Have we really gotten so inept or lazy that counting squares, lines, hash marks and clicks on a scope are too much for our brains??

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    ...I was curious what your take on it was.
    It sounds like an overly complicated thing that's not needed.

This is the Army 25 yard zeroing target. The numbers tell you how many clicks to move the bullet impact to the target center. The little images show which sight to adjust and which way to turn it. Kind of makes the whole app pointless and can be done anywhere without using a phone.

In Appleseed rifle clinics we teach what we call "Inches, Minutes, Clicks" which is the process of doing the math to convert inches away from target into clicks on sights. Because everyone has different rifles we don't have the luxury of a one size fits all target like the Army.

The app would take all the thinking out of that but I'd rather teach folks how to do it than just tell them what to do.

User Tag List