Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5pins Rem 700 LR $$ Pit.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Federal doesn't make GMM in 168 or 175 in .300. Besides, I think I have tried enough.
    Sorry, I was thinking yours was a 308 as well.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Stories like this make me question even buying new guns. The dream of having a nice rifle that I can do X, Y, or Z with comes up against the harsh reality of “no, it won’t do what you think it will” or “it’s going to cost a lot of time, money, effort, and frustration before you sort of get there”.

Says the guy who put a deposit down on a M70 FWT Friday... b/c beautiful walnut is beautiful, and a .270 is never a bad choice. Or so they say. It’s been ~20 years since I shot a M70 anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Stories like this make me question even buying new guns. The dream of having a nice rifle that I can do X, Y, or Z with comes up against the harsh reality of “no, it won’t do what you think it will” or “it’s going to cost a lot of time, money, effort, and frustration before you sort of get there”.

Says the guy who put a deposit down on a M70 FWT Friday... b/c beautiful walnut is beautiful, and a .270 is never a bad choice. Or so they say. It’s been ~20 years since I shot a M70 anything.
    You just never know. I’ve got a “newer” .308 700 that shoots great stock (no action work, but in aftermarket stock w/ aftermarket trigger). @richiecotite shot a very nice five shot group with it, outshot me
    #RESIST

Speaking of Federal GMM, my .308 drives tack's with it.

Attachment 36050
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

The new barrel came in today.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Does the -9- designate twist? I have the same barrel in 1:10 chambered in .308 and it shoots Fusion 180s like a laser.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Does the -9- designate twist? I have the same barrel in 1:10 chambered in .308 and it shoots Fusion 180s like a laser.
    Yes, it's the twist rate. I went with 9 so I could shoot the heavier stuff.

What a difference a new barrel makes. This is the first five shot group with the new Bartlein barrel installed. Hornady 178gr TAP at 100 yards prone. This TAP was doing about 2.5 inches with the factory barrel.

I had put this project aside for a while but started back on it. Since last time I upgraded to a new Night Force 5-25. It has still been shoot well but I have never liked the stock and after upgrading my M700 .308 with a chassis, and liking the way it felt, decide to do the same with this one and put an MDT Oryx on it.

Took it out to the range today and after re-zeroing it the first group shot .532 with Remington CORE-LOKT 180gr!

The best group of the day was some Sierra 220gr Match King handloads at .372.

Then a .612 with Hornady 225gr BTHP handloads.

And finally, the Hornady 225gr ELDM handload at 1.032. I was working on a good group until the last shot.

It was not all Sunshine and Lollipops. After the first group of the Remington's the next group of Hornady's 195gr BTHP factory load shot like crap. It was also blowing primers.

This load has shot pretty well in the past and it was the first time I had noticed the primer issue. After I got home I look at some of the brass from last week and sure enough, I was having primer issues and didn't see them. The next two groups were also poor and then it started shooting well.

I think the problem was the bag rest I was using. When I started shooting I simply lade it on top. but I noticed at one point the rifle had settled down in the bag. I probably should have pushed it down tighter in the channel to start.

User Tag List