Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5pins Rem 700 LR $$ Pit.

5pins Rem 700 LR $$ Pit.

Inspired by NH Shooter’s 700 money pit thread I thought I would do the same.

I had the opportunity to go through the Remington armorer’s course this past summer and received an employee pricing on one Remington firearm. About a year ago I built, with some help, a Remington 700 in .308 using a Shien barrel. So the idea of getting another 700 seemed like a good idea. The only question was “what caliber’? I didn’t see the point of another .308 and I have yet to be bitten by the 6.5 bug. I ended up picking the M700 LR in .300 Winchester Magnum. Price out the door from my dealer was about $520.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...ange-stainless

I came into this knowing full well that Remington’s quality has been hit and miss and many complaining about the lack of accuracy with their rifles. I decided that the initial cost and the ability to do any necessary work myself could make this an interesting project.
    Visually the rifle looked great, fit and finish was great. The bolt was very smooth and solid feeling. The X-Mark Pro trigger was a little heavy at a just over 4 pounds. Adjustment of the X-Mark trigger is accomplished by turning the adjustment screw counter-clockwise until the desired pull is achieved. However, the adjustment screw on mine was already sticking above the trigger face. The instructions advised turning the adjustment screw half a turn at a time until you get the trigger pull you’re looking for. In my case, after turning the screw out the first half turn the screw fell out. This left me with a trigger pull of 3 pounds 9 ounces. The trigger was very crisp and I felt it was something I could work with.

I topped the rifle off with a Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21X50 using Weaver 34mm low rings and a Leupold Picatinny 20 degree mount. I then attached a Blackhawk bipod I had laying around and went off to the range.

Shooting off the bipod with a rear bag on a concrete deck I worked the round into the center of the middle of the target and then shot the first five shot group of almost three inches! I was shooting Hornady TAP with a 178gr ELD bullet. I will admit that I’m not the best rifle shooter. And I was having a hard time getting in a comfortable prone position. I decide not to waste any more ammo and come back another day in another way.

The following week I was back at the range. This time on the bench with a rest and a variety of ammo. The first group of Hornady TAP was 2.24 inches. Well, that’s not very encouraging. The only bright spot of the day was some ABM ammo using Burgers bullets. Both the 185 and 230gr rounds came in at .95 inches. Other ammo tried was Hornady’s 195gr match at 1.34 inches, Federal’s GMM 190gr at 1.45 inches, Black Hills 190gr at 2.1 inches, and Hornady’s Superformance at a little over 6 inches.

My plain now it re-crown the barrel and see if that helps. I don’t think it will make much difference but it’s an easy thing to try without pulling the action out of the stock. I’m going to thread the barrel and put a break on it anyway, but I’m just curious if this will show any improvement.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I would start by removing the action and taking a look to make sure there's nothing obvious going on with the bedding. Then reinstall the action and while holding the rifle straight (muzzle) up to seat the recoil lug, torque the action screw to about 45 inch-pounds. Give it another range session.

From there, bedding is not a hard project and JB Weld works pretty well. I used Marine-Tex for mine. There are plenty of good articles online on bedding the Remington action.

I'm betting you can improve its performance significantly.

PS - mine doesn't shoot the factory 178 ELD load worth a crap either. You may want to give the Federal Fusion load a try;

https://www.federalpremium.com/produ...rifle/f300wfs3
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 01-03-2019 at 03:17 PM.

As NH Shooter said, start by removing and retorquing the action screws. If that doesn't fix issues consider contacting Remington.

Today’s range session wasn’t any better than the last one. I decided to do three shot groups instead of my normal five in order to conserve ammo. Even with three shot groups the only two that shot well was both of the ABM loadings with .86 with the 185gr and .45 with the 230gr loadings. The only five shot group I did was the Hornady TAP and it came in at 2.42 inches. All of the three shot groups did better than the five shot groups as one would expect. I didn’t shoot the Superformance considering how poorly it did last time.

What’s interesting about the ABM ammo is the overall length is longer than the others at 3.62 for the 230gr and 3.54 for the 185gr. The rest came in under the SAAMI max of 3.34. I think this may show some insight into some of the issues regarding accuracy.

So the re-crowing did work, as I expected. Next will be to pull the action out of the stock and see if I can find anything wrong. I’m also going to thread the barrel and put a comp on it and adjust the trigger. I would like to knock another pound off it. If I can’t I may look at getting a new one. I also may make a chamber cast and see how far the lead is. I’m also going to shoot the Hornady TAP and 195gr match until I see some improvement with them before trying the others, I have a larger supply of them.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I haven’t started loading for this rifle yet but I did have some 30 cal bullets for my .308 and decided to see how far out I would need to load them to touch the rifling. It seems to be pretty far. The Burgers 185gr Hybrid Target had to be seated out to 3.755 and the 173gr pulled M118 FMJ bullets at 3.614. This is the tip to case head, I don’t have a comparator. As you can see they don’t have a lot left for the case neck to hold on to.

The Hornady 178 TAP and ABM 185 on the left for comparison.

A good friend purchased a Remington 5R Milspec 223 in 2014 and we found out pretty quickly that something was wrong.

We tried about 10 different loads, some handloads and some factory, but could not get it to group under an inch. We took it to the local gunsmith and had the action trued and bedded, and barrel swapped for a 1:8 twist Bartlein as he wanted to shoot heavier bullets than the 1:9 factory twist would allow for. The gun now shots .3's consistently with Lapua brass, Varget, and Sierra bullets.

The gunsmith said that he felt the biggest problem was that when he was truing the bolt, he found the lugs to be way off.

I bought a Remington 783 in 223 for $250 after rebate as another friend had one that shot great. Mine ended up shooting so bad that some of the bullets would keyhole. Remington sent me a call tag and I sent it back.

They called a month later and said they were sending me a whole new rifle. The new rifle shoots 3/4 MOA consistently which I am very happy with considering the price.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I pulled the action out of the stock and the screws were not properly torqued down, they broke free with very little effort. There were also two plastic shims between the stock and bottom metal.

Once out of the stock I put a Jewell trigger in and set it at 2.5 pounds. I put the stock back on without the plastic shims and torqued it down to 45-inch pounds. I also have some 220gr SMK’s that should be here on Wednesday. I intend on loading them long and see if that helps. Until then I l have some pulled M118 173gr FMJ match bullets I’m going to load up and see what happens. Hopefully, I can get to the range in the next few days if the weather’s not too bad.

I went and bedded the action, threaded the barrel and but a comp on. I have also tried out a few different handloads. It seems to have a preference for the Hornady 225gr BTHP’s but nothing I have tried out has been consistent. I have tracked the average group size from each shooting session and went from a 1.5 average to a 1.1 average. The last trip on Saturday was 44 rounds in two hours. All 225 BTHP’s with three powders .010 off the lands. All of that and I only knocked .4 inches off from the first range trip.

I give up. New Bartlein barrel on the way.

Have you tried some 168 or 175 Gold Match?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Have you tried some 168 or 175 Gold Match?
    Federal doesn't make GMM in 168 or 175 in .300. Besides, I think I have tried enough.

User Tag List