View Poll Results: Which one should I get

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 48 because practical

90 62.50%
  • DW 9mm 1911 because 'Murrica!

28 19.44%
  • If you don't get the 1911, then go to Europe, you commie!

26 18.06%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilemma: 1911 or Glock 48?

Quote Originally Posted by BobRockefeller View Post
    There could hardly be a greater difference in pistols that that between 1911s and Glocks. I know few folks truly like them both. If you're a polymer-frame striker-fired pistol guy, get a Glock. If not, get a 1911.

Both platforms are reliable if cared for. Both have a huge number of after-market parts choices.
    There's no more difference between a Glock and a 1911 than a 1911 and any other pistol.

Single stack 9mms have single stack 9mm hurdles to overcome, Glock or not. We've seen that Glock 43s are ammo finicky, and don't have a long mag spring life, especially with extensions. The 10 round 43X/48 mags are not going to be immune from any of those inherent issues.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    There's no more difference between a Glock and a 1911 than a 1911 and any other pistol.
    !!!

Hammer vs. striker
    Metal vs. plastic
    Tool steel, cast and MIM parts vs. steel and stamped steel
    Heavy vs. light
    Grip angle
    Single stack vs. double stack (for most Glocks)

There are other pistols (Beretta, CZ, Tanfoglio, ...) that are more similar to 1911s than Glocks.
    Bob
    9MM: 92 Elite LTT, CenTac
    .45 ACP: Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Colt
    Confederate Civil War reproductions: 1863 Richmond rifle, Spiller and Burr revolver

!!!

Hammer vs. striker
    Metal vs. plastic
    Heavy vs. light
    Grip angle

There are other pistols (Beretta, CZ, Tanfoglio, ...) that are more similar to 1911s than Glocks.
    The only difference pertaining to use is ergos. The difference in ergos between different configurations of 1911s is enough to be consequential. Different is different.

Hammer vs striker ? A DA/SA is a lot more different than striker vs SA.

A solid steel CZ with a hammer has nothing in common with a 1911.

My F150 is aluminum and has pedals, same as a Cessna.

DW, if buying within 2019, because I would not want to be anyone’s beta tester. I seem to recall the G42 and G43 having growing pains. (I am presuming that this particular DW has been extant for some time?)

Can any 9mm, however, be “because ‘Murica?” I would think, well, 9mm, einfach weil Deutschland, or, something like that. To be clear, I am not bashing the Euro-pellet, er, uh, I mean 9mm.

On the other hand, I definitely prefer that my 1911 pistols have a high-cut front strap, with the underside of the trigger guard sculpted to complement it, allowing the weapon to sit lower in my hand. The XSE, and some other Colts, have this feature. It is a bit more subtle, in the case of my Les Baers.

Seriously, I am not bashing 9mm. A G17 is in my carry rig, at this moment.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-03-2019 at 11:31 AM.

!!!

Hammer vs. striker
    Metal vs. plastic
    Heavy vs. light
    Grip angle

But what makes many hard use 1911 shooters also into hard use Glock shooters is the how you grip and fire them. High thumbs and one trigger pull. These other physical features don't mean much in the shooting, they just look different on a spec sheet.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I'd opt for the 1911 which is probably no surprise. Dan Wesson has the whole lightweight 1911 thing down pretty good and the Vigil line is priced attractively. Recoil generally isn't an issue with 9mm 1911s anyway, but the lightweight DW guns can be softer shooting than Colts in part because of the non-radiused firing pin stop and resulting lighter recoil spring they use.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    My F150 is aluminum and has pedals, same as a Cessna.
    Damn, you're almost a pilot then.

I finally got a chance to respond to the poll, because I was on my phone last night.

Buy the 1911 or move to Europe, commie.

Dilemma: 1911 or Glock 48?

Deleted
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-03-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Deleted grumpy anti-1911 post.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    But what makes many hard use 1911 shooters also into hard use Glock shooters is the how you grip and fire them. High thumbs and one trigger pull. These other physical features don't mean much in the shooting, they just look different on a spec sheet.
    This. Pre-Gen3 Glocks did not work for me, but Gen3 work well enough, and Gen4 are wonderful, even though I have long been very much a 1911 guy.

User Tag List