View Poll Results: Which one should I get

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 48 because practical

90 62.50%
  • DW 9mm 1911 because 'Murrica!

28 19.44%
  • If you don't get the 1911, then go to Europe, you commie!

26 18.06%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilemma: 1911 or Glock 48?

Dilemma: 1911 or Glock 48?

The introduction of the new Glock 48 single stack 9mm has caused me a dilemma.
    I was planning on getting a 9mm DW Vigil Commander this summer... but the new Glock 48 is very tempting.
    I honestly don't really know which to get.
    Plan is to EDC carry and shoot whichever one I get, so that's a fairly important factor.

The advantages to the Glock:
    -Cheaper
    -More available parts & accessories
    -"Disposable" and easily replaceable
    -Lighter
    -Reliability
    -Similar in function to G43, which would make a great BUG or NPE gun
    -I could afford a G43 (per above)
    -I already own a number of classic steel guns (S&W K frames and Colt pocket autos)

The Advantages of the DW 1911:
    -I don't own an 1911
    -'Murrica!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I think a slightly more direct comparison would be the DW ECO 9mm. I have one and when my itch to carry a 1911 flares up, it is my go-to. Very accurate, less felt recoil than my G19, and I like the safety carrying appendix. While I think this is a very sorted out pistol and mine has run on all but one brand of cheap practice ammo, it is still a 1911 and more maintenance driven than a Glock.

The 48 is an unknown quantity, and I am still a wee bit leery of beta testing new Glocks. Having said that, if reliable it is a very practical package for a lot of people. I am on the fence, but may pre order one blue label anyway.

I would get the DW, and if the 48s perform well, pick one up later.
    Last edited by PD Sgt.; 01-03-2019 at 12:23 AM.
    Polite Professional

Joe look at the Vigil CCO. That’s going to be my next 1911. CCO gives you shootability of Commander-length slide (and added reliability), but frame size compactness of Officer’s frame.

It’s going to be hard to beat the single-stack goodness overall. If you haven’t make sure to handle the Kahr P9-sized gun. It’s honestly, very slim front-to-back (slimmer than a 1911 or 3913) and it makes it easy to hang on to for shooting.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-03-2019 at 01:11 AM.

I'm super stoked about the 48 myself.

A 9mm CCO is so sweet though. I have a Valkyrie CCO 9mm and it's an awesome shooter. Much softer and more controllable than a 43.

Reliability with the single stack Glocks is not any better than a good 9mm 1911 in my experience.

And there is much aftermarket for a 1911 than the Glock.

Most 1911 guys would say a 9mm 1911 is not a 1911......

Go with the Glock, it'll work

I feel like if you're gonna get a 1911 for the sake of having a 1911 it should be in .45 and it should be a Government model. #Murica

If it's a carry gun, get the Glock. Actually for the price of the DW you can get 2 Glocks. Do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I generally prefer 1911s over Glocks, but if you're are talking 9mm and defensive use, I'd pick Glock. However, we're talking about a new Glock that's not yet vetted, so there's that. Tough call.

... or get a 1911 in .38 super, 10mm, or .45, cartridges that actually fit the gun in both length and the fact they're not tapered.

Well, summer is a long way off. You might want to wait and see how good the Glock turns out to be. I've had more trouble with the magazines in my 43 than I've ever had with a 1911. Recoil on the 43 makes it a not fun gun to shoot. The 48 should be better, but the Dan Wesson at 32 oz will be way better still.

Since you're going to carry the gun, the external safety on the 1911 is a consideration. It's real embarrassing to draw the gun, pull the trigger and realize you haven't turned off the safety. There's a big weight difference on the guns, too. You OK with carrying the 1911 all day? The 48 would take a lot less effort.

That said, I am the almost proud owner of a Dan Wesson V-bob in 9mm (because waiting the requisite 4 to 6 weeks for a New Jersey permit cause Jersey not 'Merica). I got to examine the V-bob when I paid for it. It, like all Dan Wessons, is a thing of beauty. The fit, the finish, the function, the all metal construction make the Glock look like the mass produced appliance it is.

I also think the 9mm is a better choice than the 45. A 1911 that you intend to carry or shoot a lot should be a 9. The 45 ship has sailed.
    Best of luck with your decision. Let us know what you finally decide on.
    Real guns have hammers.

There could hardly be a greater difference in pistols that that between 1911s and Glocks. I know few folks truly like them both. If you're a polymer-frame striker-fired pistol guy, get a Glock. If not, get a 1911.

Both platforms are reliable if cared for. Both have a huge number of after-market parts choices.
    Bob
    9MM: 92 Elite LTT, CenTac
    .45 ACP: Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Colt
    Confederate Civil War reproductions: 1863 Richmond rifle, Spiller and Burr revolver

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    G48 is a good 2020 plan. Look at the Gen4, G43, etc. All of them were train wrecks the first year.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List