View Poll Results: Which one should I get

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 48 because practical

90 62.50%
  • DW 9mm 1911 because 'Murrica!

28 19.44%
  • If you don't get the 1911, then go to Europe, you commie!

26 18.06%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilemma: 1911 or Glock 48?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    New magazine and recoil dynamics are the biggest thing. But I ain't skerd. Living less than an hours drive from the Smyrna plant gives me courage.
    I'm not afraid eirther. The 19x was a deviation from prior designs and I'm just not seeing a lot of people bemoaning being beta testers with that. Picking mine up 1/22. I have a 43 already so... options.

As unabashed 1911 fan, I voted for the 48. If one doesn't have a 1911, then they need start with a Govt 45. 9mm 1911's are fantastic shooters, but they lose out on everything else (cost, weight, size and/or capacity) compared to the 48.

In all seriousness, I think if one is looking for a dedicated 10rd single stack to carry, try the 48 first. You can always sell it for most if not all of your money back. If one is looking for a fun gun, get the 9mm 1911.

A possible wildcard

Meanwhile, with tons of time on my hands until I can get anything...

I was pondering a Wilson EDC X9... and then the wild thought came into my head that if I were to convert a CZ-75 Compact into SAO (using some parts from Cajun), I'd pretty much have the same thing.

Just a thought...
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Meanwhile, with tons of time on my hands until I can get anything...

I was pondering a Wilson EDC X9... and then the wild thought came into my head that if I were to convert a CZ-75 Compact into SAO (using some parts from Cajun), I'd pretty much have the same thing.

Just a thought...
    Sure. In the way that a BMW M5 and a Crown Vic are both 4-door sedans.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Sure. In the way that a BMW M5 and a Crown Vic are both 4-door sedans.
    I'm thinking more Nissan Altama...
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

And now I'm pondering going with a Guardian in .38 Super instead.

Because if a guy who builds his own bass guitars, effects pedals, and tube amps can't spend the cost of a case on reloading stuff and roll his own, something is wrong.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And now I'm pondering going with a Guardian in .38 Super instead.

Because if a guy who builds his own bass guitars, effects pedals, and tube amps can't spend the cost of a case on reloading stuff and roll his own, something is wrong.
    Super .38 is a great cartridge to shoot in a 1911. A bit louder than 9mm but similar recoil-wise. I owned a Colt a few years back and it was fun. Just not as many ammo choices out there. Cost of ammo is probably similar to .45ACP, at least from what I remember -- it might be a bit higher now. Of course if you have the time and equipment to load your own...

It can be loaded to be identical to 9x19 for practice loads. When I carry mine I use Wilson’s TAC-XP load. https://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/...8SU-115-TACXP/
    Ignore Alien Orders

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I voted Glock 48 out of those two choices, but my real answer is: NEITHER.

SIG P239.

350 rounds isn't enough to break in the trigger on the Glock and pass judgement. My 19M was pretty crunchy when I first got it, but a thousand or so rounds later it became extremely nice, reminiscent of an HK P7 I used to own.

In addition, I've found that the type of lube used on the connector plays a big role as well. One day I cleaned my gun at the work range and they only had RemOil. When I got home and started doing some dry fire, I thought something was wrong with my gun because it felt crunchy. Like, really crunchy. I cleaned it again, used my Slip EWL 30 as usual, and it went back to being buttery-fuckin'-smooth and crisp.

If I use BreakFree CLP it's not as awesomely P7-ish, but certainly doesn't make me think something broke like RemOil did. Fuck that garbage.....if it's the only thing available, I just opt to go with a dirty gun wearing good lube.
    I didn't go into detail, I dry fired the Glock about 1000 time, after the .25 polish. Maybe I over did it. Bought new Glock Trigger and connector, Better but still crunchy. Greased the connector with Tetra, nothing makes any difference. Striker seems to slide back and forth smoothly. The tab on the trigger bar pushing on the firing pin block may be the culprit, no way to change or alter it. Looking at it thru the bottom of the gun it seems that after the tab pushed up the block the bar moves sideways a tad and this may be where the crunchiness comes from. I have some black airgun moly grease I may try in it, it's so messy but it's about the smoothest thing I know of. Soon gonna be to the point I don't give a rat's hiney if you know what I mean. Maybe I've shot too many 1911s and S&W revolvers. Heck, My old LC9 trigger is smooth at least. I thought Rugers were poor.
    Last edited by Pistol Pete 10; 01-29-2019 at 10:20 AM.

From the looks of what I'm reading about 9mm 1911's, most seem to prefer lighter loads (115-125) over the heavier 147's, which means a .38 Super load based around the Speer 125 GDHP would pretty much similar.

User Tag List