Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Decide: Graduation Present to Myself

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    I have owned a few 1911s (Wilson, Ed Brown, Guncrafter, Mars Armament, Coonan 357, Para Ordnance, Kimber).

I never acquired a Wilson Supergrade, though.

What do you plan to do with it?

$5G is a lot for a pistol.

I spent money on reloading since I shoot a lot, except during the winter when light is low.

I’m more of a practical person, despite my Instagram posts, so I prefer something for EDC, home defense, IDPA or USPSA.

The Wilson, Ed Brown and Guncrafter are more than accurate enough. One has been blessed with Mammoth Ivory Grips.

But if you want case hardened material, engraving or some exotic material, to commemorate your achievement, I can understand that.

I was a medical student, US Navy Military Officer, and then active duty, so I didn’t get a chance to get an Achievement level gun. I don’t think I will even though I can swing it, easily. I spent more money getting something I waited too long for, Suppressors.

I have my own personal backyard range in addition to belonging to a club.

I am my own range officer and I shoot in the backyard suppressed, these days. I was shooting everything else before but I don’t want to perturb the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I am basically waiting to become you once I am through the training pipeline & the financial strain of the family likely in my not so distant future. One day!

RR: Buy a beautiful and classy 5" gov't model in .45 ACP. Also, must have wood stocks. I'm sure you'll love it no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am basically waiting to become you once I am through the training pipeline & the financial strain of the family likely in my not so distant future. One day!

RR: Buy a beautiful and classy 5" gov't model in .45 ACP. Also, must have wood stocks. I'm sure you'll love it no matter what.
    Nephrology,

Very nice.

I’m a radiologist... I get a lot of time off. Hence my multitude of hobbies.

Internal medicine subspecialties can become extremely busy, though, so make time for yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I got that email today, too; gorgeous. I did not, however, click "buy it now."
    It was a curiosity click. I’ve bought a few outlandish things I had no intention to or desire of owning before I saw them.

This wasn’t one of them. I’m not well informed enough in the 1911 world to appreciate what that piece offers.

Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    I have owned a few 1911s (Wilson, Ed Brown, Guncrafter, Mars Armament, Coonan 357, Para Ordnance, Kimber).

I never acquired a Wilson Supergrade, though.

What do you plan to do with it?

$5G is a lot for a pistol.
    Stare at it and reflect on the 10+ years I've been working my ass off to get this far and admire that I can afford the beauty and craftsmanship that goes with it.

Then I'm going to take it out and run as many rounds through it as I can.

I spent money on reloading since I shoot a lot, except during the winter when light is low.

I’m more of a practical person, despite my Instagram posts, so I prefer something for EDC, home defense, IDPA or USPSA.

The Wilson, Ed Brown and Guncrafter are more than accurate enough. One has been blessed with Mammoth Ivory Grips.

But if you want case hardened material, engraving or some exotic material, to commemorate your achievement, I can understand that.

I was a medical student, US Navy Military Officer, and then active duty, so I didn’t get a chance to get an Achievement level gun. I don’t think I will even though I can swing it, easily. I spent more money getting something I waited too long for, Suppressors.

I have my own personal backyard range in addition to belonging to a club.

I am my own range officer and I shoot in the backyard suppressed, these days. I was shooting everything else before but I don’t want to perturb the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm probably 3-5 years off from having my own backyard range, but that is very much the plan. The wife and I both want land and to live farther out. The benefit to her being an accountant and me a (hopeful) professor someday is solid income for both of us add in we have no children and won't be having any, I'll fortunately have the cash and ability to have something like you in the near future. It's still a bit of a ways off for me though, but heck so is this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    +1 on choice of caliber and either Burton or Harrison for a true custom gun. However, I fear if you go down that road you will seriously test the $5K speed limit imposed by the authorities (#Ican’tdrive$55K). Thus, you may have to settle for a pedestrian Wilson Super Grade or something similar from NH (#firstworldproblems).
    That is a fair point. I will have to consult the 'smiths in question and identify how far my budget will get me.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That’s exciting @RevolverRob. I remember that feeling well, and I was incredibly productive in my last year because the finish line was in sight.

How about buying a class to build yourself a 1911?

(If I was buying myself an impractical but beautiful gun, it would be a Freedom Arms 97 in .45 Colt)
    I thought about a class to build myself a 1911. But I'm sort of done taking final exams. That said, it is tempting to roll my own. But I'll never build something as good as Harrison or Burton or Wilson or Nighthawk and I've already got enough cobbled together crap in the form of a dissertation.

Thanks man. I've been very fortunate, to be smart enough, to tackle the PhD with a good framework and importantly, with a lot of extra time built in. I have good options and networking to support me, I'll need more professional success in 2019 than I had in 2018 to get through past the finish line of "dissertation complete" to "job acquired (but since I had almost zero in 2018...2019 has a low bar), but it's only a matter of time, perseverance, and a little luck, I think. Soon, I'll be looking back with a misty look in my eye on how easy it was...as I slog through tenure track.

Now back to my own thread - I've got to go cruise Nighthawk and Wilson's websites and price out a Harrison...

If you're looking to spend ridiculous money, I'd go this route:

1. Buy a Colt base gun. Doesn't have to be fancy, the money is going to go to a smith.

2. Find THE 1911 smith that you always wanted a pistol from. Have him do the front strap (checkered is my preference, others prefer the newer "chain link" or "stippled" texture). Have him fit a custom barrel and recrown it after it's fit with a custom bushing and link. Have the top strap serrated to reduce glare. Undercut the trigger guard to allow a higher grip. Install safeties to taste (everyone has a different "best" on beavertail style and make, single-side/ambi, extended/standard thumb safety). I'd go with something uber classy for sights, like old school Bomar target adjustables, and maybe a gold bead front. "Melt" the entire pistol so there's not a sharp edge anywhere. Then refinish to taste - my preference would be a blued slide and stainless grip (old school two-tone). Maybe some tasteful engraving. If it were my dream gun, I'd get a "bob tail" - just because I think they look cool.

Caliber - if you're building an heirloom 1911, it needs to be .45 ACP.

The other option would be to get something more modern and workmanlike, then spend the rest of that money on ammo, reloading gear, and training (this is actually the route I'd go, but I'm a curmudgeon).

@RevolverRob, any interest in a really nice RIFLE? I find it way easier to spend big bucks on rifles.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Rob,

This is my Wilson CQB, and here is what I like, and what I would change the next time around:

Attachment 33817

Wilson Battle Sight rear and tritium front sight, Wilson Round Butt Magwell, Black Armor Tuff finish, and VZ Grips.

Things I would change:

The Wilson Ambi Tactical Safety is great for concealed carry, but the wide safety would be better for pure shooting. I am also a lefty.

This gun has 30 LPI checkering which is mild on the hands, but damn 25 LPI is perfect for me!

Add a naked slide, and ball cuts without the front serrations.

Make a list of your must haves, and make sure you build your perfect gun!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

I've got to go cruise Nighthawk and Wilson's websites and price out a Harrison...
    The best built pistol I own, is probably a Colt built by Wilson, and I couldn't be happier with the work Nighthawk did on a more recent Colt. Sending a base Colt/Springer to either shop is not a terrible choice. I don't think that buying an off-the-shelf pistol is appropriate here, as much as commissioning a custom (at whatever level) is.

Have you called any of the builders you mentioned yet? You might want to talk to a few of them on the phone and go with someone that you “click” with. I think you’ll be much happier with the project in the long run if you really like the person that is putting it together for you. If you’re close to Arkansas or can take a trip stop by Nighthawk and Wilson and meet a few of the people there. The nice thing about Nighthawk is one person is going to put your gun together from beginning to end. Wilson might be the same way on rebuilds but I don’t know for sure.

This project is special and I think knowing the builder even a little bit will make it more special. I’m having a base Colt rebuilt now by a good friend of mine right now. I think the process is maybe just as fun as having the pistol in hand.

How long are you willing to wait? Some of those smiths have quite the line...

I’m very happy with all of my various Wilson Combat pistols and enthusiastically recommend the brand.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List