Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Decide: Graduation Present to Myself

Help Me Decide: Graduation Present to Myself

The time of reckoning grows near. At this point, I am, at maximum, 18-months from completing my PhD and at minimum 6-months. I’m not trying to jinx myself, but in general, my committee and I are very happy with my progress and everything is on track to finish early or late, depending on how the job/post-doc market goes. In other words, I can start thinking about a present to myself to mark this milestone.

As I was answering the usual round of questions during the holidays my wife said and I quote, “So what pistol are you getting to commemorate this?” When I inquired about the budget for said piece I was told, “Keep it under five grand.”

So let’s get to the basics - I’m commemorating a once-in-lifetime achievement - plastic is OUT. Mass produced is OUT. I want a custom gun, a one-of-a-kind gun, it should be a 1911.

That’s the easy part a 1911.

Now the hard part - from whom? Jason Burton? John Harrison? Nighthawk? Wilson Combat? Garthwaite? Someone else?

What caliber? 9x19, .38 Super, 10mm, or .45?

What base gun? Colt, Dan Wesson, Springfield, or full custom on a Caspian upper and lower?

What version? Gov’t, Commander, or CCO?

I currently have all the size ranges in 1911s, except the 3” Defender size in the safe. I don’t have a CCO, but I’ve been planning to buy a DW 9mm CCO and likely will before my new fancy blaster gets made. I do not have a .38 Super or a 10mm gun, but I also am not setup to reload, so guns in those calibers will be shot less.

My “style” is a mix of anachronistic and iconoclastic - it should be a blend of retro and modern that works and works well to the point of saying fuck tradition as necessary. And it’s gotta look good in the leather I’m going to order for it.

I’d like to keep the budget at 4’ish grand but the boss gave me a $5k cap.

So - what say ye? @Sidheshooter @StraitR @theJanitor @Sensei @fatdog @Clusterfrack @Jason Burton @pistolwrench
    @M2CattleCo@WilsonCombatRep @EveryoneElseIforgot
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-02-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Site Supporter
    Rob,

Here’s my take:

Colt series 70 base gun in .45 ACP. I would price out options with Burton or Harrison.

If that breaks the budget, a Wilson CQB Elite with all the fixin’s would be awesome! My CQB is great, and I do not shoot it enough!

FWIW, for some reason I recall Todd’s Heirloom came in around $7000. Correct me if I am wrong.

This came in my email today.

I was a bit surprised that a sale rep didn’t call me when I clicked “order now”

Name:  8712CE44-5999-45C3-9782-7C82539DB8C4.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  30.9 KB

Serious though I can’t really help you here but you should buy what you and you only want.

I'd like to congratulate you, @RevolverRob , but I won't. I could jinx the sun from rising.

But a partial answer to your question. IMO, there is only one way to configure such a gun: Government model Colt, in steel, in 45ACP.

Picking a smith will come after really deciding on the character of the build you want. Each smith will impart some of his own image on the pistol, so that decision will come in time

I have owned a few 1911s (Wilson, Ed Brown, Guncrafter, Mars Armament, Coonan 357, Para Ordnance, Kimber).

I never acquired a Wilson Supergrade, though.

What do you plan to do with it?

$5G is a lot for a pistol.

I spent money on reloading since I shoot a lot, except during the winter when light is low.

I’m more of a practical person, despite my Instagram posts, so I prefer something for EDC, home defense, IDPA or USPSA.

The Wilson, Ed Brown and Guncrafter are more than accurate enough. One has been blessed with Mammoth Ivory Grips.

But if you want case hardened material, engraving or some exotic material, to commemorate your achievement, I can understand that.

I was a medical student, US Navy Military Officer, and then active duty, so I didn’t get a chance to get an Achievement level gun. I don’t think I will even though I can swing it, easily. I spent more money getting something I waited too long for, Suppressors.

I have my own personal backyard range in addition to belonging to a club.

I am my own range officer and I shoot in the backyard suppressed, these days. I was shooting everything else before but I don’t want to perturb the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Korth PRS

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/kor...ity-and-price/

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    This came in my email today.

I was a bit surprised that a sale rep didn’t call me when I clicked “order now."

I got that email today, too; gorgeous. I did not, however, click "buy it now."

Rob, the pragmatist in me says to do a commander-sized Wilson in 9mm. That way, you’d have pride of ownership in a CCW-friendly rig that you could shoot with impunity.

Otherwise, maybe a classic 5" .45.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 01-02-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I am a 1911er but I like the LTT.

I dont have high end 1911s as I run middle of the road with SACS.

for $5K you can probably swing a Pro .45 and a Full Boat LTT 92G Elite.

Congrats on your achievement!
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Rob,

Here’s my take:

Colt series 70 base gun in .45 ACP. I would price out options with Burton or Harrison.

If that breaks the budget, a Wilson CQB Elite with all the fixin’s would be awesome! My CQB is great, and I do not shoot it enough!

FWIW, for some reason I recall Todd’s Heirloom came in around $7000. Correct me if I am wrong.
    +1 on choice of caliber and either Burton or Harrison for a true custom gun. However, I fear if you go down that road you will seriously test the $5K speed limit imposed by the authorities (#Ican’tdrive$55K). Thus, you may have to settle for a pedestrian Wilson Super Grade or something similar from NH (#firstworldproblems).
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

That’s exciting @RevolverRob. I remember that feeling well, and I was incredibly productive in my last year because the finish line was in sight.

How about buying a class to build yourself a 1911?

(If I was buying myself an impractical but beautiful gun, it would be a Freedom Arms 97 in .45 Colt)
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List