Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson's Comprehensive Handgun Proficiency Drill

Bill Wilson's Comprehensive Handgun Proficiency Drill

Bill demonstrates his CHP Drill, designed to test each of the fundamentals a proficient shooter needs for self-defense applications.

A very likable drill. I would at those distances demand -0 to 'pass' -- the IDPA target is really big for 7-12 yards (though I'd be cursing myself on the move). As a comprehensive test it weights the reload too much and the movement too much. I like Tom Givens' comprehensive better than anything I've seen.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....re-Skills-Test

Holy cow he really pulls his finger far off the trigger between shots. Can't say I've ever seen that before to that degree. I think this is a pretty cool drill/test.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Holy cow he really pulls his finger far off the trigger between shots. Can't say I've ever seen that before to that degree. I think this is a pretty cool drill/test.
    He claims he picked the habit up early when competing with DA revolvers. Hackathorn says he slaps the trigger gently. I say he developed the flip and press.

Exactly what I said watching the video, don't think I've seen someone come off that far. Ran super clean though.
    Will try some time.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    A very likable drill. I would at those distances demand -0 to 'pass' -- the IDPA target is really big for 7-12 yards (though I'd be cursing myself on the move). As a comprehensive test it weights the reload too much and the movement too much. I like Tom Givens' comprehensive better than anything I've seen.

I think the reload is only emphasized if you're running a low-cap gun - in which case, reloads probably need to be emphasized. It just says "reload when empty". If shooting a modern full capacity pistol you could run it without a reload.

I think running it in both directions would be good, as the direction of travel can make a difference on SOTM. Also, if doing it both directions, I'd swap the target order on the 2nd run - so you draw to a Moz/F2S, and do a 3-rounder after movement. You could incorporate all 4 of Gabe's engagement sequences into a run, even. You could either do 2 runs and total them, or run the whole thing in one go. It would be fun. Changing the sequence around and doing it all at once would make for a bit of "thinking".

An another observation, not a criticism, is that it's interesting to see Bill's trigger finger straighten out considerably, almost to a register position, between shots. ETA: Ha, I see I wasn't the only one to notice.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 01-02-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post

On a drill that purports to be defensive, slow shooters try to turn all drills into accuracy tests, where fast shooters like to emphasize speed. Seems there needs to be a way to blend speed and accuracy and reward a combination of both that relates to real world shooting.

I sure get a fail if a bullet misses a target completely or hits a non threat, but I wouldn’t want to, for example take a guy doing this in ten seconds with one Charlie (or whatever they call that in IDPA) and make that a fail, and pass a guy who shoots clean in twenty seconds.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Interesting drill. I'd love to hear more about taking the finger out of the trigger guard for each shot. Seems like a good way to put the brakes on as referenced in several recent threads here.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

added to my list of things to try when the snow melts. thanks.

standing reload will get you killed on da streetz

User Tag List