Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Night Cobra American Rifleman Review

Colt Night Cobra American Rifleman Review

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...obra-revolver/

What's the hive mind think? The Cobra re-launch was met with great fanfare but that seems to have evaporated?

My basic thought is the gun is too expensive even with the additional capacity. And too heavy. Colt should look at an aluminum frame model.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

A review that features 7 yard bench rest results is not better than regurgitated ad copy.

It has been a long time since we had updates from the members that bought cobras of any flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    A review that features 7 yard bench rest results is not better than regurgitated ad copy.

It has been a long time since we had updates from the members that bought cobras of any flavor.
    Yeah I have not noticed anything recently about the Cobra. Maybe a "long term" owner will comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

What's the hive mind think? The Cobra re-launch was met with great fanfare but that seems to have evaporated?

My basic thought is the gun is too expensive even with the additional capacity. And too heavy. Colt should look at an aluminum frame model.

No comment on the Colt quality since I have no idea. But I personally like (shooting) all steel revolvers. If the thought is a more capable shooting concealment revolver, 6 shot all steel makes a lot of sense to me. I will admit I have spent no time at all toting revolvers so I can't compare the issues of that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Several years ago, while I was still working for Colt's LE Training Division, all of us were queried about what Colt should do product wise. There were six of us in that group that represented about 170 years of metropolitan street policing and firearms training. There were many armed confrontations and very successful shootings in the group. To a man, we said Colt needed an alloy framed, .38 Special +P, six shot, 2" and 3" barreled revolver with a front night sight, DAO with bobbed hammer. They gave us a steel framed, spur hammered Cobra....SMH.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Several years ago, while I was still working for Colt's LE Training Division, all of us were queried about what Colt should do product wise. There were six of us in that group that represented about 170 years of metropolitan street policing and firearms training. There were many armed confrontations and very successful shootings in the group. To a man, we said Colt needed an alloy framed, .38 Special +P, six shot, 2" and 3" barreled revolver with a front night sight, DAO with bobbed hammer. They gave us a steel framed, spur hammered Cobra....SMH.
    Hopefully Aimpoint listens better than Colt.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    To a man, we said Colt needed an alloy framed, .38 Special +P, six shot, 2" and 3" barreled revolver with a front night sight, DAO with bobbed hammer.
    Well, I suppose they're close with the Night Cobra. It has your bobbed hammer and night sight.

Must have been cheaper to stick with the same frame and coat it Black but maybe they'll figure it out...

I’m wondering in the broader markets, how much market share would revolvers have in general?

I have all three because I have traded my larger PDWs for weapons that are "compatable" with an old retired guy with back and rotator cuff issues. Revolvers are what I started out on and more than likely finish with. I shoot targets and "do drills". I purchased theses guns over the past year. My favorite is the K6s due to it's action and outstanding SD sights that are widely spaced, tall and easy to acquire. They also have Tritium which speeds things up a bit. The Kimbers' only downfall for me is lack of a "satisfying, handfilling" grip. The Hogue Bantam feels great to wrap your fingers around but it lacks girth and squirms under 357 recoil.

If I were to purchase the 640 again it would be without the Pro package. It's sexy but it is slow for me to line up the sights due to their closeness from the shooters view point. They appear "crowded" and it takes a moment to discern the front sight. Excellent inherent accuracy and a beast to shot 357s in.

The Colt is my latest acquisition and I like it for several reasons:
    1. Nice action, better than the Smith
    2. Grips just work for me and the gun indexes superbly for my hand
    3. Front sight is easy to see has proven to be POA/POI concentric with several ammo weights and brands
    4. It is faster when shooting DA from the Weaver for me
    5. Very accurate in both shooting modes
    6. Single action availability
    7. Speedloaders available and work with the Hogue grips.

Last edited by Zeke38; 01-02-2019 at 11:03 PM.

I find it odd that Colt chose to make the frame incompatible with original D frame grips. At least that's what I have read elsewhere. Is this true? If so, I wonder if the upcoming King Cobra will take old grips.

User Tag List