Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt King Cobra

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I do. This 3" .357 is nice.
    Do you think it would be realistic to have a gunsmith add an adjustable rear sight (such as one from S&W) or would it be better to wait for a future model that has that feature?

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Do you think it would be realistic to have a gunsmith add an adjustable rear sight (such as one from S&W) or would it be better to wait for a future model that has that feature?
    I was thinking something like this. Something like a Novak rear, a la GP100 WC, or maybe a C&S extreme duty rear.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    I saw one at the LGS, looked like the perfect sized all around CCW revolver.

How does it handle the .357?

Site Supporter
    A new rear sight would require a different front sight. If new rear sight is higher, then the front would have to be lower. Also, if machining frame is necessary to add a new rear sight, then one consideration is that removing metal might reduce frame strength. That definitely is a factor with smaller frames. Another factor is labor cost. Refinishing, if needed, will increase cost even more. And the big question is whether or not the revolver will shoot to poi after the modification. Most of us prefer our firearms to have visual appeal. Yesterday's concern with fit and finish may be today's cool factor. Paying big money for a job that looks like shit ain't cool. I don't wish to come across as negative but will tell all that I have paid serious money and been disappointed in the quality of outcome. Bite the bullet and hire a known entity to do custom work. Be aware that you will not recoup the cost so plan to be buried with the item.

If my new Colt revolver were an excellent specimen, then I would leave it as is it came from the factory. If I loved it and planned to keep it, then I might send it to Robar and drop a few hundred for one of their finishes inside and out. Over the years, I fixed a lot of guns that weren't broke, and sometimes I ended up with a less desirable firearm. I'm convinced that with revolvers shooting them will correct many concerns about action roughness. After one has been shot and dry fired 1000 times, then the gunsmith can readily see what parts are or are not mated correctly. At one time I would have said fitted properly.
    Last edited by willie; 04-01-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Wait. Word is that a 4" adjustable is next. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I saw one at the LGS, looked like the perfect sized all around CCW revolver.

How does it handle the .357?
    Can I get back to you on wednesday?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Can I get back to you on wednesday?
    My plan is to try my newest security six out Wednesday. We can trade info. Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    My plan is to try my newest security six out Wednesday. We can trade info. Deal?
    You’re on.

Site Supporter
    Wait. Word is that a 4" adjustable is next. JMO.
    Of course that leads to the debate, add an adjustable rear to the 3” or cut down the 4”?

Actually the resurgence of AIWB solves that dilemma since it isn’t hard to carry a 4” in the proper holster!

I find it really curious that virtually no one here complains about a serious use semi auto pistol without an adjustable rear sight, but as soon as a serious use revolver shows up with a fixed rear sight someone wants it with adjustable sights.

User Tag List