Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt King Cobra

The New Cobra uses a modified SF action. The trigger is moved and the bolt and hand are repositioned to make it more durable. It’s probably possible to shoot one out of time (in theory it’s possible to shoot a GP100 out of time...) - it’s not going to be as likely as an old Colt.

When Colt designed this, they used the Python trigger (in both stock and tuned form) as their benchmarks.

It’s the nicest Colt revolver built since probably 1980. And is actually probably nicer than most old Colts in general.

Old Colts aren’t fragile but nor are they robust and you can get parts for them, for the most part. If you want a carry Colt - a Night Cobra or a 3” King Cobra would be my choice.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 03-13-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Trooper is correct on all statements. About Colt barrels, people would write that the Colt barrel tapered slightly from rear to front. I never saw data backing the claim. However, one fact was documented. Instead of being .357 or .358, Colt .38 barrels were .354. I have no explanation. In the era of standard pressure lead bullets, this fact was no concern. They would not hold up well under the shooting and dry firing regimen of today's shooters. Yes, department armorers could keep issue guns running--theoretically. That day has passed of course. The Smith revolver is not necessarily stronger. It is, though, vastly simpler, has a fine double action, and is less fragile than the Colt. I won't say that the Colt is not as good. I won't say that it's obsolete. I do know that police departments ceased issuing Colt revolvers when they were still available. I think that if they were still on dealer shelves, many who now seek them would be complaining about Colt actions' idiosyncrasies and would be bitching like hell about Colt customer service.
    There was a time I was a pretty decent volume Python shooter. It was getting adjusted about every 4-6 months. I was lucky enough to have a factory trained armorer at LSP during that time. I ended up selling it and buying one of the 1st S&W L frames to hit LA.

As an old M class PPC shooter, a Smith was just the better choice for a bull gun. Colts did have a small following as a Distinguished Match gun, but the Smiths were more popular.
    Last edited by LSP552; 03-13-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    Have zero idea about these guys, whether good or bad service. They do have a night cobra for $598.

https://www.g4gguns.com/products/han...8289007117-322

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Have zero idea about these guys, whether good or bad service. They do have a night cobra for $598.

https://www.g4gguns.com/products/han...8289007117-322

Too late for me; the gun I was shooting after I fondled the king WAS my Night Cobra...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Got to fondle a King Cobra today. Couldn’t shoot it. Liked what I felt/saw.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The New Cobra uses a modified SF action. The trigger is moved and the bolt and hand are repositioned to make it more durable. It’s probably possible to shoot one out of time (in theory it’s possible to shoot a GP100 out of time...) - it’s not going to be as likely as an old Colt.

When Colt designed this, they used the Python trigger (in both stock and tuned form) as their benchmarks.

It’s the nicest Colt revolver built since probably 1980. And is actually probably nicer than most old Colts in general.

Old Colts aren’t fragile but nor are they robust and you can get parts for them, for the most part. If you want a carry Colt - a Night Cobra or a 3” King Cobra would be my choice.
    Stop making me want one of these!

I am actually glad I haven't seen one of the new Colts in the flesh. It's probably less painful.

On the other hand, fondling a K6 helped reduce that particular inch a whole bunch. Not awful, but it's a homely gun with a spongy trigger.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post

I am actually glad I haven't seen one of the new Colts in the flesh. It's probably less painful.

On the other hand, fondling a K6 helped reduce that particular inch a whole bunch. Not awful, but it's a homely gun with a spongy trigger.
    Man, I'm RevolverRob...I'm supposed to entice you!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post

I got to play around with a Colt King Cobra. Discretionary income being what it is, I wont be buying one...however:

If I were made unable to carry a semi auto I'd be on it like a cheap suit. The trigger is nice, it's the perfect size to carry, and has a brass bead front sight...all in a 3" .357

I thought they looked ugly... especially with that trigger guard...but it's growing on me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I got to play around with a Colt King Cobra. Discretionary income being what it is, I wont be buying one...however:

If I were made unable to carry a semi auto I'd be on it like a cheap suit. The trigger is nice, it's the perfect size to carry, and has a brass bead front sight...all in a 3" .357

I thought they looked ugly... especially with that trigger guard...but it's growing on me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    You're not helping me any here!!
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Man, I'm RevolverRob...I'm supposed to entice you!
    Ummm....well at least you didn't say "seduce."
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List