Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt King Cobra

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Willie, I’ve read that quite a number of intensive shooters went to S&W (or Ruger) because Colts went out of time far faster. IIRC, one user here commented on finding bunches of out-of-time Colts in department armories.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Comparing the new King Cobra to the old King Cobra is a little like comparing the original Beetle to the newer Bug. They share common names but just ain't the same critters.

I have not seen the insides of the new Cobra or King Cobra but the triggers are reported to be quite nice for a factory gun and that in itself is a long step ahead of the older Cobras.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Comparing the new King Cobra to the old King Cobra is a little like comparing the original Beetle to the newer Bug. They share common names but just ain't the same critters.

I have not seen the insides of the new Cobra or King Cobra but the triggers are reported to be quite nice for a factory gun and that in itself is a long step ahead of the older Cobras.

Dave
    Name:  99CB53EE-442A-4FEC-AC1C-B5322E7E9C58.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  53.5 KB
    Not exactly like the old model, but not exactly a bad thing. I don’t like the new Cobra’s bulged barrel sleeve, but the King Cobra lacks that goofy feature. The new Cobras I’ve handled have a trigger that’s almost identical to my 1952 Detective Special, both SA and DA.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    In stock at GrabaGun ($839.99) - https://grabagun.com/col-king-cobra-357mag-3.html
    Sold Out....

That was quick

Site Supporter
    The adjustable sight 4" model is supposed to be next, I will probably wait for it. Maybe we need to inundate Colt with requests for an adjustable sight 3" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Willie, I’ve read that quite a number of intensive shooters went to S&W (or Ruger) because Colts went out of time far faster. IIRC, one user here commented on finding bunches of out-of-time Colts in department armories.
    That's always been my understanding as well, that they would go out of time quickly if they were shot alot, maybe the new production guns fixed that, time will tell..As a side note, I did shoot a S&W 629 enough to shoot it out of time, took about 5-6000 rnds to do it, with some rather heavy .44mag loads sprinkled in the mix.. When I sent it in, back in about 2016 (629 was bought in new 1995) it had endshake that measured .017, and when the hammer was pulled back the cylinder would'nt quite fully index, it'd be almost there, tap the cylinder with your finger and you could hear the cylinder stop click into place. I called S&W, and they told me if I was the orginial owner, they'd fix under warrenty, I sent it off and about 3 weeks later it came back, they fixed the gap between the cylinder and barrel, it now measures .007, they replaced the hand, ratchet, and did something (I'm not sure what) to the trigger, I have a M69 which I use for most of my .44 mag shooting, and I've got a load I fooling around with that's actually a .44 special load that I'm using in .44mag brass, (6.6gr BE86) This produces about 800fps, and dosen't beat you up..

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Nearly every time I fired and old colt, even the beautiful top of the line pythons, the DA was meh... many colts were far worse.

Count me as a S&W man. Pre lock

And yes, even if revolvers are obsolescent for many practical uses today, S&W could still sell a boat load of real "classic" revolvers, not their current feeble attempts to dupe customers.

The new Colt Cobra has a pretty skimpy cylinder bolt, at least on the specimen I saw. Would fear of timing issues prevent anyone from buying and using an older Colt? I bought a 1952 DS a couple of months ago, and it seems perfect. Do they just suddenly go out of time, or is it a matter of gradual wear? I bought mine for carry purposes, and not as a range toy. I’ve considered selling it to get a new Cobra, so any help would be appreciated.
    https://youtu.be/e5zRYiTYHto

Another angle:
    https://youtu.be/GS-6ylFRP_o
    Last edited by FrankB; 01-23-2019 at 03:40 PM.

User Tag List