Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt King Cobra

Site Supporter
    For me, the difference between fixed and adjustable revolver sight visibility is not the rear sight. It is the taller front sight with a more vertical rear face that typically accompanies the adjustable rear sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I wonder how many people need to ask for Colt to make a 2.5-3"(for the full length ejector rod) "Night King Cobra".

Melonited, g10 grips, tritium front sight, fixed rear...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I wonder how many people need to ask for Colt to make a 2.5-3"(for the full length ejector rod) "Night King Cobra".

Melonited, g10 grips, tritium front sight, fixed rear...
    Color me "very interested".
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Examining a new Colt King Cobra showed a revolver that had high attention to detail in finishing and assembly. Action was crisp and smooth. Double action pull was smooth and without undue stacking found in yesteryear's versions. Bore showed absence of visible tool marks. Single action pull felt like 5.5 lbs but was not measured. Price was $869 which for me is an excessive amount. I could see them moving at $700 but not $800 plus. Not in this market.

Apologies if this was posted already. I found it to be a pretty good review.
    https://revolverguy.com/field-report...lt-king-cobra/

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Apologies if this was posted already. I found it to be a pretty good review.
    https://revolverguy.com/field-report...lt-king-cobra/
    One of the nice things about the 3" guns, to me, is that they have a longer ejector rod. The King Cobra doesn't; it seems to have a snubbie-length ejector rod.

I don't know why Colt did that.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    "Night King Cobra", anyone?
    Or an airweight version and call it "Night Light Cobra"?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    One of the nice things about the 3" guns, to me, is that they have a longer ejector rod. The King Cobra doesn't; it seems to have a snubbie-length ejector rod.

I don't know why Colt did that.
    Parts bin stuff. The 3" Kimber is the same; uses the ejector from the original 2". The Kimber’s rod looks pretty incongruous on the 3", IMHO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I just handled and dry fired the first one that my local Sportsmans Warehouse had come it. Impressive fit and finish, and an exceptionally nice triggerpull-as others said, smooth, relatively and reasonably light, with no stacking. My only qualm was with the cylinder release, as it seemed a bit tight, and some of the angles seemed a bit un-ergonomic, but not enough to spoil things fatally. Price was steep-about $880 as I recall, and Sportsmans Warehouse decently discounts guns.

Between this and a 3" Ruger GP100, it would be a tough choice. Colt has come out with a very decent contender here-I was much more impressed than I'd anticipated.

Best, Jon

Since this thread is up, I’ll throw out a "con’ that I’ve noticed on the King Cobra. For me, the shape and polish of the back of the frame catches light and reflects enough that the rear sight washes out. I do not have this issue with the Night Cobra, nor did I have any issues with the more matted finish on the first of the new 2017 Cobras. Don’t have this issue on my K frames either. But on the shinier King, it’s a big deal.

Ultimately, I like the gun enough that I’m going to have to have the back of the frame/sight channel stippled or serrated, and probably blued/blacked out. May as well have the hammer converted to DAO and bobbed while I am at it.

At that point, it might just be perfect. Nothing is ever easy, I suppose...

Gun shoots like a dream otherwise; mid-range .357s work very well, and I love the size and ergos. It’s a cool gun, ut I wish it had come bead-blastsd, myself. I don’t need crow-attracting, barbecue shiny on my wheelies, but I do need to see the sights.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List