Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me everything you know about this family heirloom.

Tell me everything you know about this family heirloom.

My great grandfather carried this during his time as a bank security guard in Atlanta in the 50’s. My grandmother is no longer of mind to possess it, so it has come to be mine.

Name:  IMG_4809.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  102.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_4810.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  102.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_4811.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  102.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_4812.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  67.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_4813.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  62.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_4814.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  73.2 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Sorry, this was meant to be in revolvers, not reloading. Could a mod move it please? @LittleLebowski @Clusterfrack
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Are there any markings on the inside of the yoke, and more importantly, on the crane under the yoke?

Also, you might check for.markings under the grips. I can't remember if S&W put markings there on older revolvers.

Appears to be a S&W Military & Police K-frame, made before they were assigned model numbers, in the late 1950s. This revolver would become the Model 10. Someone else can give the date of production from the serial number on the butt.

What’s a little unusual is the square butt on a 2” (or 1 7/8” actually) barrel. Many short barrel pistols were sold with round butt grip frames, for concealed carry.

Revolvers in .38 Spl. made before model numbers are generally not recommended for +P ammo. This classic revolver will work fine with standard pressure ammo. Enjoy!

I should have said, 6 shot .38 "snub nose" from that era, puts my best guess as it's a K frame, as the I & J frames in .38 were 5 shots.

pre-model 10 M&P 2" .38 special K frame revolver, I am guessing from the half moon front sight it could be pre-war production, I don't have the book with the serial ranges at present. I am sure somebody here does.

Beautiful revolver there OP. Could still give fine service I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    pre-model 10 M&P 2" .38 special K frame revolver, I am guessing from the half moon front sight it could be pre-war production, I don't have the book with the serial ranges at present. I am sure somebody here does.
    P 397 says that C 1-999999 of the .38 Spec M&P Postwar were 1948 to 1967. Doesn’t exactly narrow down when, but I think you’re on to the what.

I’d say early 50s as a guess lines up with the family history very well. FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Yep, pre-Model 10 but post-war production. The hammer is the giveaway. The post-war short-action guns had a shorter hammer fall than the pre-war long action guns. The shape of the spur is called the "fish hook." It dates from the late 1940s and early 1950s. The grips are probably numbered to the gun.

The barrel could easily be a pre-war part in a post-war frame. Anything is possible with Smith, especially right after WWII when they were cleaning out parts bins that had been in storage for years.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I should have said, 6 shot .38 "snub nose" from that era, puts my best guess as it's a K frame, as the I & J frames in .38 were 5 shots.
    Yep, K-frame. Six shots but too small to be an N-frame.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Same chart found on a few sites, suggests 1948 to 1952 which fits with the half moon sight and it being a five screw (pre-Model 10, Military and Police). Truly cool old snub!
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

User Tag List