Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zev’s OZ9 Pistol

Zev’s OZ9 Pistol

The hits just keep coming. Another new option into the handgun market. Trying to combine the glock and sig (FCU unit).

http://www.zevtechnologies.com/OZ9-P...e-Black-Barrel
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Looks more like a Glock version of a 2011.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Looks more like a Glock version of a 2011.
    Priced pretty similarly, too...Surprised they went with a G17 length slide

The more I look at this, the more I like it.

I asked some question on FB:
    It's Gen 3 parts compatible. (Gen 4 ambi mag release).
    It's only 17 length.
    They don't intend to release only the frame at this time.

I'd like to see them sell the frames in 19 & 17 size and in Gen 3 and 4. Hopefully this takes off and they expand offerings. Overall, the base concept of a "2011 Glock" is really cool, and what I wish Glock would have done with the Gen 5.

I like the concept overall. I would have liked to have seen a 19 length slide availability with the 17 grip like the 19X/G45. Would have gone over better for suppressor and comp use I think.

Not digging the magwell, looks a bit out of place, doesn't follow the same lines as the rest of the frame. Nice sharp angles all over and this swoopy thing hanging off the grip is no Bueno visually to me personally.

$1700 is pretty steep for the average buyer, makes it more niche market material. A model with a little less bling and more of a "standard use" version at around a grand or slightly less would probably do a bit better in the market.

If you want a full race style Glock, $1700 isn't out of the ball park, but there isn't a wide spread desire for full race Glocks overall.

Still this concept could really be taken to a whole new level and be a viable player in the modular firearms market.

It just needs to be competitive with the current modular guns, hence my feeling of needing a common mans, less expensive version.

To sell products, you need to get it in some average shooters hands, and it needs to be accessible price wise to a wider arena. Get the frame only kits out to folks Zev, normal commercial buyers are gonna sell product, not always top dog gun writers and well known industry names.

Creating a desire to own, and actually getting people to part with hard earned cash is a not the same game.

The most important question is, what does it do better than a Factory G17 MOS? and is that worth $1100 more.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 01-03-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

I like this, a lot.

I’ve got the pistols that I want and need, so I’m not the target market.

I hate to be this guy, but I’d like it even more if included ambi/Gen 5 slide stops and offered an optional ambi thumb safety. I wonder if the serialized “frame” could be ‘smithed up to accommodate?

It would also be cool if Zev got to the point of offering stand-alone frames.

There are some pretty interesting Glock clones on the market. This and the ZRO Delta seem to be the most "advanced."

There's a company making an aluminum frame too but the name and where I saw it for sale escapes me at this moment. From what I remember, it has an aluminum "chassis" that is the frame and then a plastic grip/mag well that can be changed.

I'm glad to see some factory beavertail options because a stock Glock will chew me up in short order. I don't care for the aftermarket "pin on" beavertails to include the Gen4 stuff....

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post

Creating a desire to own, and actually getting people to part with hard earned cash is a not the same game.

The most important question is, what does it do better than a Factory G17 MOS? and is that worth $1100 more.

TXPO
    Seems like this gun's primary market are dedicated IDPA/USPSA shooters who have shot Glocks extensively and either will, or believe they will, be able squeeze a relevant degree of improvement in their scores from this gun. I doubt this will appeal to novice/casual action pistol sport competitors, unless they are wealthy dilletantes. Can't see it having any appeal to self defense oriented consumers at this price point.

I think one of the biggest weaknesses in this product's appeal is that shooters looking to move up into a spendy Glock-based gaming blaster is that 1) most of them probably already have at least one or two glocks/other plastic guns that they've sunk a lot of cash into modifying and 2) will be comparing this gun against an STI or other double-stack metal-framed single-action handgun. The competitors may be slightly more expensive, especially when considering the cost of mags, but I don't see that deterring someone ready to drop $1700 on a handgun.

Furthermore, 3) in my experience these shooters are usually looking to move into limited or open, divisions in which the OZ9 is unlikely to be competitive (unless it can handle 9mm major, which it doesn't mention explicitly on their website). A double stack 1911 or CZ-75 pattern gun offers a lot more bang for the buck, here. It doesn't even look like you can order the OZ9 with a threaded barrel, either, so even if it can handle 9mm Major you have to splash out another $180-200 on a threaded barrel + comp to make it competitive for Open class. It does at least come optic ready, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I doubt this will appeal to novice/casual action pistol sport competitors, unless they are wealthy dilletantes. Can't see it having any appeal to self defense oriented consumers at this price point.
    I don't necessarily disagree but look at the stuff being sold and/or modified by Agency Arms and the like. Prices can quickly approach $2,000 for these guns after all the slide machining, grip texturing and fancy DLC coatings. Are the Agency guns being used by competition shooters or are they being bought as more of a status symbol by Glockaholics?

ZEV should know their market since they've been selling "enhanced" Glock parts about as long as anyone. This new gun appears to have all the features the custom afficianados want. Dimpled barrel, optics mounting point, speed holes in the slide, etc, etc. All with a recognized name and without the wait of sending off a stock G17 and then having to wait months for it to be returned.

With all that said, I hope ZEV comes out with a more pedestrian version. Something that's not as flashy that retains the exoskeleton. Price a more basic version at around $800 and they'll probably sell quite well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post

Again, not disagreeing with the content just wanting to counterpoint.

The ZEV, at least as I understand it, seems to take the tired old Glock concept and take it into the 21st Century. The ability to remove the plastic frame housing is a pretty good idea and should allow shooters to scale the gun up or down or change grip color as they wish. Frankly, this is something Glock could have (and probably should have) done already.

Not mentioned anywhere that I've seen is whether or not the ejector can be changed and what's involved with switching to 40, 357 SIG or even 45 GAP. Has ZEV tweaked the ejector to work with these other cartridges or can that part be removed and changed as needed?

Add some modularity to the platform and include what's probably a good trigger while offering a pistol that uses common mags, sights, etc and it seems like a win. An expensive win but a win none the less.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

User Tag List