Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hellboy's new revolver

Site Supporter
    I've read them. Good books. Great edged weapons - the black knife and that shape changing sword thing.

Don't know if I would want a flesh eating super vampire girl friend though.

Thanks! Purchased. I need a new read.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Check out the, “Sandman Slim,” series of books.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

Don't know if I would want a flesh eating super vampire girl friend though.
    Compared to my ex-wife, it doesn't sound so bad.

Love the Laundry Files.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    So the Glock 43 Ex isn't good marketing?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Check out the, “Sandman Slim,” series of books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven’t tried those (yet) but The Laundry series is interesting. Stross, the author, contributed D&D adventures to White Dwarf magazine back in the day.

I’m currently reading through The Adversary/Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson. Interesting books (don’t judge them by the Michael Mann adaptation of The Keep) with a somewhat different mythology but the firearms research, as is too typical, is pretty horrendous. I just finished “Conspiracies” where he specifically thanks a firearms expert in the forward and still has a ton of errors. Oh well, sometimes you can’t have everything.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I shot some 140gr. @ 1400fps Federal .357 magnums out of my Scandium J-Frame once.

Once.

Was it "magnums" or was it "once?"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Can we maybe try and not summon Cthulu on the forum?
    New rule for conversations straying off topic?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Can we maybe try and not summon Cthulu on the forum?
    Indeed. I’m pretty sure that the gods of prehistory have been vanquished, but if we summon one, the Almighty might say: “You dumb shits are on yer own.”
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    To continue diversion, DC comics had a character called the Spectre and one called Dr. Fate. The former was a merger of a reformed demon and a detective killed in the line of duty. He was charged with being the Wrath of God by the Almighty and probably the most powerful character for DC. He sneered at Superman. The latter was a Lord of Order who merged through a magic helmet with a PhD Anthropologist and almost but not as strong as the Spectre.

When the two first met they had to suppress a portal the USA intelligence services opened up and let in an Old One. Much uproar. However, the Old One bragged that he was going to blah, blah to Earth. He was a Lovecraftian type. The Spectre basically shoved his tentacled butt back in to the nothing-ness as he (Spectre) was the Wrath of God Almighty who created even the Old Ones (why?) and took no crap from them. Nice Geek moment.

The best Spectre vengeance moment was a a trial. A mom took her kids to the in-laws house in a van. She torched the van and the kids for some family relationship issues. At trial, she pleaded diminshed capacity and wished to see her kids again. Wah, Wah. Well, the Spectre appeared (as he is the Avenger of the unpunished murders) and said, Well - if you want to see your kids - here they are and materialized two flaming kid skeletons who advanced on and cremated Mom. The judge found the Spectre in contempt (fat lot of good that did). As the Spectre turned to go, a CNN reporter (he has guts) asked him why? He got an interview explaining the Wrath of God.

In the Laundry books, the Old Ones are basically whacked out, sadistic, blood thirsty aliens from higher dimensions that prey on weaker species. There is no evidence of any of the standard world religion pantheons - Abrahamic, Buddhist, Hindu, or others.

I apologize for knowing this stuff.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I shot some 140gr. @ 1400fps Federal .357 magnums out of my Scandium J-Frame once.

Once.

I would similarly recommend against Hornady 300gr JHP's from a 329PD.

That was a 'once' experience.

User Tag List