Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steel Frame Walter Q5 Match

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Guessing it’s probably tough to find a holster for one of these guns.
    I'm guessing that's a short-term problem, at least in the realm of competition-oriented holsters. High-quality AIWB rigs might be more difficult, I agree.

The way the frame is shaped under the beavertail, it looks as if they may have beveled off the edge that bonks the base of my thumb on the PPQ. Might be worth a look for a gamer rig.

I held one (but didn't shoot it) and the frame rubbed uncomfortably on the top of the knuckle at the base of my thumb. I didn't like it at all but I have weirdly shaped hands.
    Last edited by cyberiad; 02-02-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberiad View Post
    I held one (but didn't shoot it) and the frame rubbed uncomfortably on the top of the knuckle at the base of my thumb. I didn't like it at all but I have weirdly shaped hands.
    I just went and groped one. It still pokes me right there too, although it is much better than the poly frame model. The trigger reach is a deal breaker for me.

Site Supporter
    ... The trigger reach is a deal breaker for me.
    Supposed to have some grip/stock options for that. I personally don't know if they come with the gun or they are future options.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberiad View Post
    I had a chance to shoot a mag through one this weekend. Just a fantastic shooter. Very little muzzle rise and came right back down on the target. Very sweet. Just easy to shoot at speed with accuracy, wish I could have a range day with it. However, I also found the underside of the beavertail very sharp. It dug into the top of my thumb knuckle as well. Grips where a tad thick but I could manipulate a mag change without adjusting my grip.

Overall I liked it A LOT! I would like to run a few more mags through it but I didn’t want to be greedy with the shooter who let me try it. Seriously considering this as a new competition gun but would need to run it a bit more to see if the beavertail bite it’s is a real issue for me. Otherwise it was pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    For the last couple of years, I've been suggesting to folks at Sig that they make a steel gripframe for the p320... How easy would that be to make from a casting, and clean up with CNC?
    Not hard at all from an engineering and manufacturing aspect. Make it an investment casting and the machining needed goes down to very little.

Problem is, does it make business sense?

Funny, in the past, we paid a lot of money to make a gun lighter, now we pay a lot to make it heavier.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Funny, in the past, we paid a lot of money to make a gun lighter, now we pay a lot to make it heavier.
    Lighter for carry, heavier for competition. As far as I recall, heavier was always better for competition (unless maybe you had a comp). That's why we had bull barrels, big wide dust covers, tungsten guide rods, and full slab slides on our limited guns for better than 20 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Not hard at all from an engineering and manufacturing aspect. Make it an investment casting and the machining needed goes down to very little.

Problem is, does it make business sense?
    Didn't they already make one for the Arlington National Cemetery guards?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Lighter for carry, heavier for competition. As far as I recall, heavier was always better for competition (unless maybe you had a comp). That's why we had bull barrels, big wide dust covers, tungsten guide rods, and full slab slides on our limited guns for better than 20 years now.
    This. Also, lots of 2011-type guns now come from custom shops with steel grip modules. Interestingly enough, this seems to also hold for Open with comps and porting. Akai or Limcat will even put a tungsten sleeve around your barrel for more weight there.

Back on topic, I think this is a great move for Walther. I want a Q5 SF. I'm happy to see them making something to compete with the Shadow 2.
    Also, there's a Springco kit available for the PPQ/Q5 if anyone wants an even lighter trigger for competing with.
    Last edited by jbrimlow; 02-13-2019 at 10:19 AM.

User Tag List