Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OWB draw technique

OWB draw technique

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Rich, if you don’t have it handy, here is a link to the rules.

https://uspsa.org/viewer/Feb_2014_Handgun_Rules.pdf
    I do, but thanks.

Appreciate the tips; I will post back when I get the BOSS hangar set up.

Edit: I took a look at the angle of my holster today in regard to a ‘forward’ cant. It sounded kind of weird but here is a picture of my blue gun ‘at rest’, after moving down to the holster after indexing the sights. Note the forward angle. I’ll be danged.

Last edited by RJ; 01-01-2019 at 03:44 PM.

I tried some OWB competition draws to an IPSC target at 3 yards today. Best I could do, speed wise, was .64. Best I could do with an A zone hit was .69.

I’ve been working on my draw a lot this past year and I feel like there is more to squeeze from it, but I have to say .4’s are really, really impressive GJM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I've heard snakes compliment another that's "quick as a George".
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I tried some OWB competition draws to an IPSC target at 3 yards today. Best I could do, speed wise, was .64. Best I could do with an A zone hit was .69.

I’ve been working on my draw a lot this past year and I feel like there is more to squeeze from it, but I have to say .4’s are really, really impressive GJM.
    If your experience is like mine, by continuing to work at it, and learning to relax when drawing, you will make more progress. A few months back, I decided one shot draws were a bit of a parlor trick, and I should focus on two and three shot draws. Here is some video, where my best for three shots is .98.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I do, but thanks.

Appreciate the tips; I will post back when I get the BOSS hangar set up.

Edit: I took a look at the angle of my holster today in regard to a ‘forward’ cant. It sounded kind of weird but here is a picture of my blue gun ‘at rest’, after moving down to the holster after indexing the sights. Note the forward angle. I’ll be danged.

You see how your wrist angle is more natural with the muzzle slightly forward.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If your experience is like mine, by continuing to work at it, and learning to relax when drawing, you will make more progress. A few months back, I decided one shot draws were a bit of a parlor trick, and I should focus on two and three shot draws. Here is some video, where my best for three shots is .98.

Something new to try!
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 01-01-2019 at 09:41 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

One more thought — I noticed you were referencing time for an A zone hit. Reference the accuracy trap, maybe try a session where you relax, and go at your crazy speed, without regard to accuracy. Get the feeling of drawing at your limit, then later worry about what you need to fix to tighten up accuracy. Have you videoed your draw and paused through it a frame at a time looking for opportunities for efficiency?

I remember, before I knew him, when Gabe was shooting sub 2.0 Bill drills from concealment, and people were running him down online and off for one C. I thought his performance was inspiring and gave me hope for what was possible.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, George - good food for thought here.

And, wow, is that fast. It’s like a whole new frame of reference for what is doable.

Just adding a data point, as I wait for my BOSS hangar to arrive, the new USPSA rulebook published today clarified the diagram @GJM posted on holster / carrier locations.

It’s much clearer to me now:

User Tag List