Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OWB draw technique

OWB draw technique

I have made progress with improving my draw over the past year or two, and wanted to share some of what has worked for me. This is focused on an open draw from a Production/Carry Optics style rig.

First, the equipment. I use a Blade Tech or JMCK Kydex shell, mounted on a BOSS hangar, and use a CR Speed belt. I believe it is important to set your holster in the same place, for the sake of consistency. Here is what my rig looks like.

Attachment 33722

Attachment 33723

Attachment 33724

Attachment 33725

I wear my holster as far forward as is legal under Production/CO rules, and I have a slight muzzle forward cant to try to make for a natural wrist angle. Mounting the holster on a dedicated belt makes the holster and mag pouch positions consistent.

When I stand facing the target, I try to find my natural point of aim, and find that helps with side to side alignment. I try to keep my body very upright, as hunching slows my draw. There is a conflict between drawing and shooting, which I resolve by drawing upright, then leaning more forward shooting multiple shots. This is a screenshot of how upright I am at the beginning of my draw.

Name:  A6BB0369-F96C-4BD0-830F-3FB68FB7548A.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  100.9 KB

Right before the draw, I focus on two things — remaining calm, and listening actively for the START of the beep. It has taken me years to learn, but trying to go fast only slows me down and makes me more likely to miss my grip. You want enough repetitions of your draw, so that it happens at a subconscious level. Actively listening for the beginning of the beep gives me something for my conscious mind to focus on.

The traditional USPSA start position was “hands relaxed at sides.” That always seemed odd, since a draw is not exactly a relaxed action. With the new 2018 classifiers, the specified start position appears to be “hands below belt.” I like to start with my fingers spread, rather than clenched, since that saves me having to open my fingers at the start of the draw.

At the beginning of the beep, I stare at a spot on my target and aggressively bring my hands up the back of the holster, hit the back of the grip AND wrap my thumb over the top of the slide to trap the pistol. That differentiates my aggressive start from a scoop draw. This is a screenshot of my thumb wrapped.

Name:  B1097A6E-B59B-4F1C-AE0C-7E025A770531.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  101.8 KB

Slight degression on barrel length. I find it easier to be more aggressive on my initial contact with a pistol with a longer barrel pistol like a 34, than something like a 19. That is because more barrel anchors the pistol, where with less barrel I have to be more careful with my initial contact with the grip, lest I bump the pistol with a bad grip. I deal with that as best as I can with the VP9 by cranking down more tension on the two adjustable tensions screws on my holster.

Once the muzzle clears the holster, I try for as direct a path as possible to the target. That is different than a classic press out, where you get the sights into your vision as soon as possible, and use vision as primary in guiding the pistol onto target. I am using index, and a lifetime of coordination between my hand and eyes. As the pistol nears extension, I do a mini compressed press out for the very last bit of my presentation, where I work sights/trigger AND continue aiming as I attempt to make the shot break as the pistol stops on target.

Here is some video of draws to an eight inch steel at 25 yards. You can see my upright position, my hands open at the start, and working the trigger so the shot breaks as the pistol reaches extension.

Not obvious on the video, is I am trying to get a quarter panel grip with my support hand, and cam with my support hand. This helps with recoil control and allows me to be more aggressive with the trigger.

A few years ago, a really fast flat out draw for me was about .75. As I have refined my technique, including listening actively, starting upright, exploding for the initial grip, minimizing the time from touching the pistol to getting it moving, and by doing a compressed press out at the very end of my extension, so my shot breaks at extension, I have my flat out draws, when relaxed and happy, into the upper .40’s. Here is a short video of my flat out draw.

My draw is still under construction, and my goal is a little bit to speed my max/peak performance, but mostly to drive down my consistent draw time under match conditions. Since I started also shooting Steel Challenge, I am working my hands up, surrender draw, which is slower than my hands down at side draw.

Hopefully this gives those interested in improving their OWB open draw some things to think about, and provides encouragement for what imorovement is possible with some effort.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Not sure why, but the pictures of my rig disappeared, so here they are.

Name:  7C9918DD-2FE9-4100-8C45-CC51E9A457CE.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  F2C7FA9A-1E12-4D85-B247-233C60EC7476.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  CF5C0082-8874-41F5-B304-8646712946A6.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  53.2 KB

Great stuff. I can't thank you enough for sharing all of this information.

What do you do to find your NPA? My only exposure to that so far is what I have seen on the TPC videos on YouTube.

The new 18 series classifiers verbiage is "wrists below belt" FWIW.

I've always considered a scoop draw one where the fingers were pulling the gun up into the hand, meaning the grip wasn't complete before the gun started moving. I might be mistaken, but I thought that sentiment came from Robbie. I know that if I'm being honest, my fastest draws have a hint of scoop style to them by that definition, even though my thumb is around the grip.

It has been a few years since we've shot a match together, but watching your videos more recently, I'd wondered how particular the ROs are with your start position, given the "relaxed at sides" standard.

I have never had a single RO say anything about my hands at side start position.

This is the diagram from USPSA appendix E2.

Name:  B9A0D1A9-7A4C-4316-B6C5-6E8987996B67.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  38.7 KB

This is a screenshot of my start position at a match last Sunday.

Name:  64A31EA8-9036-4671-9627-CEEF2B42C2B5.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  102.0 KB

If a RO asked me to change something, I would ask them what concerned them and accommodate them, and it would have zero impact on my stage or the match. Considering the varied start positions, and the length of stages, those of us shooting USPSA know a draw is basically irrelevant in this game, except that you need to get a good grip on your draw or you will wreck your stage. The change to wrists below belt makes a lot of sense to me, as “hands and arms naturally at sides” seems almost impossible to define.

As to the scoop thing, the most secure method is surely to come down on top of the pistol. The least secure is a pure scoop where you are lifting the pistol without trapping the slide with your thumb. The method I use is to come from underneath AND to trap the slide with my thumb, which strikes a point between the two. This is the same method, meaning coming from underneath and trapping the slide, that Gabe uses, but from the appendix position.

I am not suggesting that what I do is the best way, only way, and what others should do. At matches and elsewhere, I see some really screwed up draws, even by seasoned shooters and competitors. There is a lot of low hanging fruit to be picked by starting with how you position your holster and then working through each step from there to firing the shot and getting rid of inefficiency.

To me, I think of a scoop draw as one where the gun is lifted by the fingers on the frontstrap, without having the palm on the backstrap. I don't think the scoop draw is a good idea.

I come more from the outside than underneath with my appendix draw (the underneath direction is blocked by my belt), but I share with GJM the practice of seating the fingers on the frontstrap and palm on the backstrap and lifting at that point. My thumb starts out on the back of the slide but falls to the support side of the gun before the muzzle has cleared the holster mouth.

That's some amazing draw work GJM!!!! Outstanding.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Damn that is really fast. I noticed your holster slightly forward in a few other videos recently and tried that myself and it seems to be working well, canting the muzzle forward is interesting. Recently started using an optic so still not as fast yet but in dry firing I have gotten the draw under 1 sec pretty consistanctly but stuck around the .7 - .9 range. I have noticed though in live fire it still is around 1.2 so need to keep working to get faster there. One of Steve Andersons drills of putting a target just outside my reach and really focusing on the beep and pure speed has helped get my intital draw under 1 sec pretty quickly in dry fire. I start my practice at 1 sec now and start working down.

Since started back with the RD, I have struggled a little with coming up high and when I use more of the press out method (meeting my support hand high on my chest) helps me get the dot at a better even plane during the press out. I know that probably is slowing me down just a bit but want to get an accurate sight picture quickly with the dot and that’s helped.

Always appreciate your vids, really gets me thinking and working on things.

Thanks @GJM. Very timely thread. I ordered a BOSS hangar to see if adjusting the cant might help.

Question for all you guys, relative to ‘behind the hip bone’ the image in the rule book seems to orient this around the front seam of men’s trouser pockets.

I’m trying to gain every advantage I can, so would you agree that is a reasonable reference mark on holster placement?

(This may seem like a small thing but I noticed I had my USPSA rig set up with the holster pretty much at 9:00 (lefty), moving the holster forward just a couple inches seems to smooth out my draw, and I wanted to check lest I fall afoul of the rulebook.)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks @GJM. Very timely thread. I ordered a BOSS hangar to see if adjusting the cant might help.

Question for all you guys, relative to ‘behind the hip bone’ the image in the rule book seems to orient this around the front seam of men’s trouser pockets.

I’m trying to gain every advantage I can, so would you agree that is a reasonable reference mark on holster placement?

(This may seem like a small thing but I noticed I had my USPSA rig set up with the holster pretty much at 9:00 (lefty), moving the holster forward just a couple inches seems to smooth out my draw, and I wanted to check lest I fall afoul of the rulebook.)

Thanks!
    If you look at this picture I posted above, which BTW is actually from appendix E3 not E2, it shows the forward limit for Production and CO. Limited does not have that limit, if you are shooting that division. Based on a ruling I believe the forward limit is based on your muzzle and not the optic on a CO pistol.

Name:  83710113-9A19-4B35-BEE1-CC6BF77D7189.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  38.7 KB

Rich, if you don’t have it handy, here is a link to the rules.

https://uspsa.org/viewer/Feb_2014_Handgun_Rules.pdf

User Tag List