Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special 110gr +P+ Treasury Load still made...really!?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    God those ads are outstanding! Haha, I'm not sure that's even a photoshop. That dude looks entirely drawn by hand or something

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

If only Tommy Lee Jones' character could see the chrome/nickle/silver (whatever they call it)colored Glocks that are the "Hot New Thing" today..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Well . . . Silver Tip has a good reputation in revolvers, while 9BPLE is extremely accurate and cheaper than most other hollow points, so it is a good choice for accuracy shooting. Besides, it blows up groundhogs pretty well, and some say it does the same on wild dogs and coyotes, though it might be somewhat less than optimal for plus sized human. Treasury load is also pretty good on small furry pests, and sometimes you can buy it real cheap.

Hydrashok? Well, you see, it creates a shockwave in the liquid in a human body that causes massive damage as the projectile acts as a buzz saw . . . . and thus acts much like an RPG warhead. Or at least that is what I think the salesman said.

I agree that the PBPLE is an accurate field round. Price is right too. The standard velocity version has been even more accurate in my pistols. Some may not remember that the original .45 ACP Hydrashok would not feed reliably in the Glock 21. A redesign of the nose resolved the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    We've had one for sale at the shop for a looong time.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Some may not remember that the original .45 ACP Hydrashok would not feed reliably in the Glock 21. A redesign of the nose resolved the issue.
    It didn't?

Maybe my gen2 G21 was an exception but it fed all 45 ACP loads (including hydra shok) that were available when I bought it (within a year of the pistol's introduction), it even fed empties.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Yes, that was the situation, which was reported in the literature. I noticed it in my personal weapon also. Of course, it did not occur in every magazine or in every pistol. That a pistol will feed empty hulls is not an absolute indicator of reliability. One reason is the fact that the pistol's action is being operated by hand. Another is that the hull is only a fraction of the equation. In 1978 I thought a new Colt 1911 .45 which had extraction failures when firing live ammo. However, I could cycle empties through by hand. The factory corrected the problem. The pistol had the wrong ejector. I enjoyed playing with Star and Ilama versions of the 1911. All would feed empties but some plain out were unreliable.

I guess I got lucky then.

As to the feeding of empties, I didn't do it by hand; I was using empties for a "ball and dummy" drills and malfunction drills, so they fed right after the gun was fired.

Interestingly enough, even the ten round mags that I acquired when the AWB got put in place were utterly reliable.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

.38 "Treasury Load"

My agency is never short on interesting finds. A couple months back I was handed a partial can of .38 Special "duty" ammo, as I'm the last dinosaur with a .38 on the books as an authorized weapon.

For years, our duty load has been 158 gr +P LHP. This week, I grabbed the can to do my semiannual qualification with my LCR, and, imagine my surprise to find not 158gr LHP, but several boxes of 110gr +P+ - one Winchester box and several IWI boxes. Of course, when I opened the Winchester box, I found FOUR different types of ammo in it - 110 +P+, five rounds of 158gr LHP, four Silvertips marked +P+, and a single lonely 130 gr FMJ (gotta love our ammo system!). I didn't even bother opening the TZZ boxes, though it might be worth it for shits and grins.

Having said all that, what's the thinking on effectiveness of the "treasury load" out of a snub revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    ...what's the thinking on effectiveness of the "treasury load" out of a snub revolver?
    Shallow penetration from 2-4 inch barrel revolvers

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Handguns...Selection.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20131103.../38special.htm

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    ...what's the thinking on effectiveness of the "treasury load" out of a snub revolver?
    According to some old testing from Winchester's website, the expansion and weight retention is generally pretty good from a four inch barrel, but penetration is less than ideal.

Bare Gel = 7.5"
    Heavy Clothing =7.7"
    Wallboard = 10.6"
    Plywood = 13.4"
    Steel = 10.25"
    Auto Glass = 8"

User Tag List