Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draw to 1 shot from concealment. Critique, Suggestions please.

@SC_Dave, I would agree with GJM on trying a micro press out, or press out. I didn't slow down the video but at first glance it looks as if you are swinging the gun upward and not punching out or pressing out. A press out would give you more time to acquire the dot, decelerating just prior to breaking the shot as in GJM's micro press out would give you more time for trigger prep and allow for a consistent and smooth press without stopping. He, (GJM) is absolutely correct in his statements regarding the trigger work not that he needs my validation. It would also be good to have some video of you at the ejection port side, (or and angled shot, camera more forward of you but angled back so we can see the trigger finger) so we can see what your trigger finger is doing and when you start trigger prep in relation to deceleration of the gun. In addition, and I mean no snark in this but you really need to work on your reholstering. You need to slow down, break from the drill rotate your hips properly and look your gun into the holster. If you have a gadget you aren't using it, if you don't I highly recommend spending the money on one and use it as intended it will greatly reduce risk. If you choose not to no biggie but at least slow down and reholster properly.
    Last edited by Mike C; 01-01-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Expanding on what I mentioned earlier, here's video examples of press out as Todd taught it, which was to be very aggressive with getting the sights in-line as soon as possible.

Slow:

At-speed:

Here's a good article on the press out from Todd's archives:

All or Nothing: The Press Out

What most people end up adopting as their final variation of a press-out is basically just an L-shaped (j-shaped?) draw like how Southnarc teaches it, where you're trying to pick up your sights on the way out, but not so aggressively get them in your sight-line so early as Todd. It's still involving the three simultaneous functions of a press-out, however, as Todd defines it in his article: working the trigger, aligning the sights, and extending the gun.

I think this is where most of your work needs to be made for the time being, because you're performing all of those things separately.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Here are my observations...

The 25 yd shot is taking a while.

I typically practice with a par time on my single shot from concealment drills.

I practice this drill a lot.

I try to work down my time bit by bit.

With a glock the best I could do while maintaining b zone hits was 2.5 seconds. This was drawing strong side.

As others have said the press out allows you to have a bit more time lining things up for a good shot.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I see the problem. You are stopping the gun then working the trigger. That doesn’t typically end well with a Glock on low prob shots.

Consider a compressed deceleration, or mini press out, where you work the trigger while refining the dot, so the shot breaks when you reach extension.

Compare how much time you are spending at extension with how much time I do.

Clearly mine is a case of not doing what I thought I was doing. I thought I was prepping the trigger on the way out but maybe I'm not. Some things I do, or don't do are things that are so subconscious that you have to think about it some to realize what is actually taking place.

By "compressed deceleration" or "mini Press out" do you mean slowing down the press out from the point my support hand meets the gun at high thoracic? Or, do you mean a press out that doesn't go to full extension like Frank Proctor?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You're not doing a press-out, so if you're intending to then I would work on that mechanic first. You're definitely going straight from holster to full extension.

The other thing I noticed is not directly related to the original question, but it doesn't look like you're reacquiring the target. Check your work via sights, that whole deal.
    I never noticed it but you are correct, I am not reacquiring the target, I'll work on that. As for the press out, this seems to be the common denominator here with everyone's analysis. So I need to work on that. I just want to be sure I'm doing the "correct" work to get rid of training scars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    @SC_Dave, I would agree with GJM on trying a micro press out, or press out. I didn't slow down the video but at first glance it looks as if you are swinging the gun upward and not punching out or pressing out. A press out would give you more time to acquire the dot, decelerating just prior to breaking the shot as in GJM's micro press out would give you more time for trigger prep and allow for a consistent and smooth press without stopping. He, (GJM) is absolutely correct in his statements regarding the trigger work not that he needs my validation. It would also be good to have some video of you at the ejection port side, (or and angled shot, camera more forward of you but angled back so we can see the trigger finger) so we can see what your trigger finger is doing and when you start trigger prep in relation to deceleration of the gun. In addition, and I mean no snark in this but you really need to work on your reholstering. You need to slow down, break from the drill rotate your hips properly and look your gun into the holster. If you have a gadget you aren't using it, if you don't I highly recommend spending the money on one and use it as intended it will greatly reduce risk. If you choose not to no biggie but at least slow down and reholster properly.
    It's not snarky at all, I ask for and want constructive critique. I soak it up like a sponge. I just installed an SCD so it's yet another thing to work into the process along with re-holstering slower and more carefully. Thanks.

Et al,

I appreciate you guys trying to help me out. I dry fire 2-3 days a week so I have engrained a lot of this in over time. I have to unlearn a lot of things. I feel like I need a day of private coaching.

@TGS, that video of TLG is exactly what I was thinking about when I wrote my response, thanks for posting it because I couldn't find it. Also didn't he, or maybe Gabe draw diagrams of what the arch of travel looks like? I can't remember who posted it or where it came from exactly but I remember looking at it and modeling my draw from it. It is an excellent visual aid noting the differences in the press out vs the punch out, (I think is even showed scooping). It helped me tremendously as did TLG's video. I sure miss reading content from him now that I am thinking about it.

By compressed or mini press out, I mean you extend the pistol directly with an index draw, but in the last few inches slow the extension so you can work sights and trigger to make the shot go off as the pistol reaches extension.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@SC_Dave...

1. Wondering why you didn't reach out to me first.

2. Remember the talk we had about a 70/30 - 80/20 - 90/10 - 100/00 presentation based on distance and size of target?
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

Quote Originally Posted by AsianJedi View Post
    @SC_Dave...

1. Wondering why you didn't reach out to me first.

2. Remember the talk we had about a 70/30 - 80/20 - 90/10 - 100/00 presentation based on distance and size of target?
    @AsianJedi

1. I know how seriously busy you are and I really didn't want to bother you honestly.

2. Well, I do now.... I told you I was that special kind of dumb you can only read about in medical books.

I'll give you a call tomorrow. Thanks Scott!
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 01-02-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    It's not snarky at all, I ask for and want constructive critique. I soak it up like a sponge. I just installed an SCD so it's yet another thing to work into the process along with re-holstering slower and more carefully. Thanks.
    Others are way beyond me in diagnosing your original question but I'll chime in with your holstering making me nervous.

In this first video if you watch yourself you can see your re-holstering get sloppier (care wise if that's not too harsh) as you go.

On your second reholstering at :09 you wiggle the gun around trying to find the holster entrance. Based on the angle of the wiggle you're muzzling yourself at least a little as you do that. In later reholsterings you get progressively faster at pushing the gun into the holster while keeping your attention focused on the target.

I'm far from perfect so don't think I'm casting stones from on high. Just what stood out to me.

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Yeah, it's a little embarrassing. It wasn't until I watched the videos myself that I realized how sloppy and unfocused my re-holstering had gotten. I think re-holstering had taken second place during my dry practice to the point of being unsafe due to concentrating so heavily on other things. I have since installed an SCD on this pistol and I'm concentrating on breaking my target focus, putting my thumb on the SCD and looking the gun back into the holster. It's not ingrained yet but it's getting there. Thanks to you and others trying to help me on this separate issue.
    David
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 01-03-2019 at 08:05 AM.

User Tag List