Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draw to 1 shot from concealment. Critique, Suggestions please.

Draw to 1 shot from concealment. Critique, Suggestions please.

Shot at 15, 20 and 25 yards. I believe I have these are in the right order, if not it's easy to figure out as I show the target at the end of each string. I shortened each vid some for time purposes. I thought I was in the frame better but maybe it's good enough.

So I would like some help with an issue I am trying to solve please. Kinda like the Yips in golf I have a hesitation before breaking the shot. I believe I'm over confirming the dot and if that's what it is I don't know how to stop it. I know a 15, 20, 25 yard shot requires a little more time than say a 3, 5, or 7 does especially for a novice shooter like me but when I review my vids after practice it seems like forever before the shot breaks.

Am I not picking up the dot soon enough?
    Issue with my press out?
    Just being a dumbass?

Thoughts?
    Drills?
    Constructive criticism?

Thanks, David

Just addressing the issue you've identified, let me ask you this: When the gun comes up and stops, is the dot there or are you "fishing" for it? It appears to me that you are still looking for the dot well after the gun has come to rest. Is this correct? If so, there are some other issues you are having before confirming the dot is actually happening, which appears to be the case.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives you the tests first and the lessons later." - Oscar Wilde.
    | www.PracticalPerformance.org | Facebook | Instagram |

Quote Originally Posted by AJZ View Post
    Just addressing the issue you've identified, let me ask you this: When the gun comes up and stops, is the dot there or are you "fishing" for it? It appears to me that you are still looking for the dot well after the gun has come to rest. Is this correct? If so, there are some other issues you are having before confirming the dot is actually happening, which appears to be the case.
    Cold, it's not always there to be honest, not never but not always. Warmed up it may be in the window and I have to make micro adjustments especially past 15. Make sense?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post

So I would like some help with an issue I am trying to solve please. Kinda like the Yips in golf I have a hesitation before breaking the shot. I believe I'm over confirming the dot and if that's what it is I don't know how to stop it.
    Shoot as soon as you see the dot on the target and your trigger finger is ready. Try to make an accurate shot but do not concern yourself with whether you made it, but instead call your shot, hit or miss, accurately. That means you have to look at the target after each shot. This builds an ability to instantly recognize and trust (or correct, or take a makeup shot) your sight pic and once you can do it, you'll be a lot less likely to overaim.

P.S. Obviously, misses will be not only because of less time taken to aim but also because of trigger control and anticipation, so you'll have to learn to call that too.
    Last edited by YVK; 12-31-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    You may want to search around for John Holschen. He has a lot of time behind a pistol RDS. He makes an effort to get the dot in his field of view sooner in the draw stroke.

https://youtu.be/baqO7RaajvE?t=305

In my limited experience with RDSs, dot-hunting at full extension was a time consuming task.

Be careful with your 'overconfirming' of the dot, unless you're shooting a bullseye. I definitely work on the 'good enough' sight picture principle.
    Last edited by JV_; 12-31-2018 at 12:51 PM.

I know it's off topic but your re-holster gives me the heebie jeebies

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Cold, it's not always there to be honest, not never but not always. Warmed up it may be in the window and I have to make micro adjustments especially past 15. Make sense?
    David
    Total sense. So, the reason the dot isn't there everytime is partly due to the amount of movement you do during your draw, specifically your head and upper body. It can be difficult to bring the dot you your eyeline if your eyeline is constantly shifting. For reference, check out your first two videos. Your head starts in the frame, then as you draw the gun your whole upper body, especially you head, moves out of the frame. This movement is unnecessary. Try not moving anything but your hands in order to get the gun out. Once you have that under control, then I would suggest working on breaking the shot as soon as the dot is inside your acceptable aiming/scoring area. Deal with the first thing before the second as breaking the shot the instant it is acceptable is far easier when everytime you bring the gun up the dot is already aligned.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives you the tests first and the lessons later." - Oscar Wilde.
    | www.PracticalPerformance.org | Facebook | Instagram |

Quote Originally Posted by AJZ View Post
    Total sense. So, the reason the dot isn't there everytime is partly due to the amount of movement you do during your draw, specifically your head and upper body. It can be difficult to bring the dot you your eyeline if your eyeline is constantly shifting. For reference, check out your first two videos. Your head starts in the frame, then as you draw the gun your whole upper body, especially you head, moves out of the frame. This movement is unnecessary. Try not moving anything but your hands in order to get the gun out. Once you have that under control, then I would suggest working on breaking the shot as soon as the dot is inside your acceptable aiming/scoring area. Deal with the first thing before the second as breaking the shot the instant it is acceptable is far easier when everytime you bring the gun up the dot is already aligned.
    Thanks again AJ! I will work on this starting tomorrow. Sometimes the things you're doing wrong are things you don't even know you're doing.
    David

I see the problem. You are stopping the gun then working the trigger. That doesn’t typically end well with a Glock on low prob shots.

Consider a compressed deceleration, or mini press out, where you work the trigger while refining the dot, so the shot breaks when you reach extension.

Compare how much time you are spending at extension with how much time I do.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You're not doing a press-out, so if you're intending to then I would work on that mechanic first. You're definitely going straight from holster to full extension.

The other thing I noticed is not directly related to the original question, but it doesn't look like you're reacquiring the target. Check your work via sights, that whole deal.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List