Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Draw to 1 shot from concealment. Critique, Suggestions please.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Yeah, it's a little embarrassing. It wasn't until I watched the videos myself that I realized how sloppy and unfocused my re-holstering had gotten. I think re-holstering had taken second place during my dry practice to the point of being unsafe due to concentrating so heavily on other things. I have since installed an SCD on this pistol and I'm concentrating on breaking my target focus, putting my thumb on the SCD and looking the gun back into the holster. It's not ingrained yet but it's getting there. Thanks to you and others trying to help me on this separate issue.
    David
    Another possibility, is you could set up an OWB holster rig for the bulk of your technical shooting practice.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    By compressed or mini press out, I mean you extend the pistol directly with an index draw, but in the last few inches slow the extension so you can work sights and trigger to make the shot go off as the pistol reaches extension.
    GJM, thanks for sharing your thoughts here and in other threads in the sub forum. A lot of good food for thought like a newer shooter like me.

Not to sidetrack the main discussion, but are you still "rolling" through the Glock trigger? By this I mean as you are doing your mini press out, you press the trigger at a constant speed until the shot breaks. This would be contrasted to starting the trigger press during the press out, pausing trigger movement as you hit the wall and clean up the sights, and then resume the trigger press until the shot breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    GJM, thanks for sharing your thoughts here and in other threads in the sub forum. A lot of good food for thought like a newer shooter like me.

Not to sidetrack the main discussion, but are you still "rolling" through the Glock trigger? By this I mean as you are doing your mini press out, you press the trigger at a constant speed until the shot breaks. This would be contrasted to starting the trigger press during the press out, pausing trigger movement as you hit the wall and clean up the sights, and then resume the trigger press until the shot breaks?
    I try to roll it, and do most of the pressing between targets, like you would with a DA revolver.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So I had a conversion with @AsianJedi . A refresher if you will. We talked about what he taught in his class and it brought things back to the forefront of my feeble mind. It amazes me how sometimes I can get slowly off track with all things shooting. Then when I get nudged back in bounds I wonder why I was offtrack to begin with. It's been discussed here before but it pays to video yourself and review it to be sure you are doing the things you were taught.

A short vid on 6"steel at 15 yards. I'm not there yet but I'm back on track again.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    So I had a conversion with @AsianJedi . A refresher if you will. We talked about what he taught in his class and it brought things back to the forefront of my feeble mind. It amazes me how sometimes I can get slowly off track with all things shooting. Then when I get nudged back in bounds I wonder why I was offtrack to begin with. It's been discussed here before but it pays to video yourself and review it to be sure you are doing the things you were taught.

A short vid on 6"steel at 15 yards. I'm not there yet but I'm back on track again.

Looking good Dave! Not to monopolize too much of your time but what do you think helped your draw between this video and what you shared initially? Specifically, what are you doing differently?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    Looking good Dave! Not to monopolize too much of your time but what do you think helped your draw between this video and what you shared initially? Specifically, what are you doing differently?
    Thanks very much @RyanM I appreciate it.

No specific order.

Keeping my head still and bringing the gun to my eye level.

Trying not to move anything that is not required to draw the gun. (useless frenetic motion as Jedi puts it)

Doing more of a press-out instead of throwing the gun out like I'm throwing horse shoe. This allows me to make any micro correction on the way out.

Trying to break the shot as soon as I have an acceptable sight picture. I was over confirming a lot.

Trying to shoot more relaxed.

Re-holstering:

I had no idea I had gotten that sloppy with my re-holstering. It pays to video yourself

I installed an SCD. (Striker Control Device, or "Gadget")

Breaking my target focus/concentration and "looking" the gun back into the holster.

All of this is still a work in progress for me. Hope this helps.
    David

I have seen a couple of Jerry Miculek videos on technique. He is a big proponent of just standing still, no leaning body forward, no ducking your head, pull the gun and bring it to your dominant eye. Only movement is your two arms. So he would agree with most all of the recommendations in this thread.

I have mentioned this on another post, but as you transition from irons to a dot (and the dot is not on a dovetail) you will have to tilt the gun down down to find the dot during presentation. If the dot is on a dovetail or on a gun with a higher bore axis like a Sig, this is less noticeable though. In the video, you have great speed out of the holster but the dot is obviously high out of your window at extension and you have to drop the muzzle to locate it. So, just acknowledge this fact and focus on consciously presenting the gun in such a way to accommodate until it becomes subconscious. Additionally, it is paramount to know exactly where the dot lifts from to really group well and understand whats going on with your recoil and grip. You are pulling the gun back too quickly to acquire this essential information. This is important with irons, but I believe more important with a dot. There is a lot going on between the time you put the dot on a target and when you pull the trigger. Focusing on follow through/recovery will let you see this. Initially, spend some time on small targets or dots and record your times until you hone this in. The video from GJM demonstrating 6 rounds/7M in a 2" dot at less than 3.5 seconds is impressive and is a great drill to ensure you can immediately find the dot, and have good follow through/recovery (sight tracking/shot calling/set conditions to fire subsequent shots).
    Last edited by jwhitt; 01-13-2019 at 10:31 AM.

User Tag List