Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book recommendations?

"Into The Kill Zone: Cops' Eye View Of Deadly Force," by David Klinger

"Black Mass: True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the FBI and the Irish Mob," by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neill (IMO, it should be required reading for any cop that works with informants, and/or supervises those who do.)

"Lines And Shadows," by Joseph Wambaugh

"Fire Lover," by Joseph Wambaugh

Every non-fiction Wambaugh book I've read has been excellent, but I've tried the fiction, and it's just not good enough to justify the time.

For fiction check out "LA Confidential," by James Ellroy

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Full disclosure: The first is written by a friend of mine.

In Defense of Self and Others by J. Hall & U. Patrick
    https://cap-press.com/books/isbn/978...-Third-Edition

Virtuous Policing by D. Bolgiano
    https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2876113
    If one is even going to consider ever commenting on a police use of force event, OIS or otherwise, from a position of knowledge rather than feelz they really should read In Defense of Self and Others all the way through, twice. Have both 2nd & 3rd editions, have given them as gifts and 'here, read this!'

The above Bolgiano offering is good, because of his background, but not as good as his works on ROE and self-defense in the military. We have mutual friends but I do not know the author;
    Klinger’s Into the Kill Zone is solid as he has experience on his side;
    Brook’s “officer down, code 3” is a good read from the principles side of things as is Calibre Press’ Street Survival.
    If one wants to see what being a new cop might be like in a big city, Boot is worth it;

Thanks, everyone for your recommendations-these should keep me busy for a while!

User Tag List