Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Full Size 9mm for Home Defense ?'s

The PPQ M2 was probably the most accurate and easily to shoot gun I have owned. It was larger than I wanted to carry however and after bouncing around have landed on the MP 2.0 Compacts.

The price is right, good aftermarket support with accessories and is relatively simple. (Not Glock simple however.)

I can honestly say that I don't foresee myself looking for anything hand gun anytime soon unless it's just for "fun."

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    And my Canik TP9 was a dumpster fire. It's one thing for HK to sell a gun that's iffy with lightly-loaded range fodder, but to sell a budget gun that needs primo ammunition to function right doesn't strike me as good thinking.
    Reminds me of the Kimber Solo. Our gun is super reliable with these 4 cartridges that cost $50 a box. Only this weight. Only at this time of day. Only this pressure. Super reliable.

Nah bro, if your gun won’t run with 90% of what’s on store shelves, your gun is unreliable.

An old coworker showed me his new TP9SF all proud a few weeks ago. Said he didn’t wanna just have a Glock like everyone else. I smiled and said nice, be sure to train with it. In my head I was screaming JUST CALL ME FIRST, THERE’S A REASON EVERYONE ELSE OWNS A GLOCK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by boatbum101 View Post
    Full Size 9mm Pistols for Home Defense
    As stated these will be for inside the home self defense . For CCW one might arguably want a smaller gun . As of now I've 4 .357 mags in that role that I wish to replace . If you've ever had the need to cut loose with a .357 indoors you get my point . Rest of the uninvited guest greeters will be 1911's in 45acp .
    I am trying to dissect the above part. I understand that the concussion of .357 Magnum loads is undesirable when indoors.

Does “Rest of the uninvited guest greeters will be 1911’s,” mean that you have 1911 pistols? If so, why add another system to the mix?

When my preferred duty and/or carry handguns were .357 Magnum revolvers, I considered a 1911, .45 ACP, to be a quite good “house” handgun.

And, as TGS and others have cogently suggested, if the OP's muscle memory is significantly established with .357 revolvers, it would likely make a lot of sense sticking with revolvers stoked with quality, credible .38 Special +P cartridges, or .357 Magnum "light."

Especially for home defense, I just don't see much of a downside to a quality revolver with decent sights and a speedloader or two handy. And a decent tanker or shoulder holster can be a convenient way to holster/re-holster over one's jammies in the dark of the night if necessary.

Best, Jon

My criteria is full size , 9mm +p capable , visible good sights , a decent trigger & it must fit my hand & not a 1911. Subjective as most things are about a handgun . Not crazy about DA/SA nor do Glocks fit my hand . What I've found so far :
    1) Walther PPQ M2 5” upgraded Dawson sights , damn good trigger for striker gun .
    2) Canik TP9SF Elite 4.5” , Warne Tactical sights , even nicer trigger than Walther . Have heard these have problems with breaking firing pins , plus they're imported by Century .
    3) HK VP9 4 or 5” . Haven't had the chance to check one of these out yet , but have heard they're nice .
    4) Steyr L or M9 , again aint had my mitts on one either . Low bore axis , different sights for sure . Have heard grip is like trying to hold a 2 X 4 .
    I'm sure there's other choices , but I don't want to have to do action work , replace sights etc. to get what I want . Any suggestions ?
    OK, looking at 9mm pistols in isolation, I do understand the part about Glocks not fitting, as that is true, for me, of pre-Gen4 Glocks, and plenty of other weapons do not fit me. (Long, but narrow hands, medium-length fingers, and relatively short thumbs.)

I have no hands-on experience with any of the weapons you listed, except for briefly handling a PPQ at a gun shop. Largely, this is because I worked as a police officer for almost 34 years, and from 1997 onward, until I retired this year, the weapons I was allowed to carry for “primary duty” was limited, and I had learned, by the mid-Nineties, to limit the number of handgun systems I used, if I wanted to develop a high level of skill with any of them.

If you are comfortable with DA revolvers, well, the SIG DAK trigger does a very good job of pretending to be a smooth S&W medium-frame revolver trigger. I chose the SIG P229R DAK, to be my duty pistol, from 2004 to 2015, switching from a G22. (I then switched back to Glock, but a 9mm G19, when my chief OK’ed 9mm to be an alternative duty pistol cartridge, as .40 Snap & Whip was becoming a bit much for my aging hands.) The classic SIG pistols, however, all have a high bore axis.

Really, however, the quickest way to have the equivalent of 9mm +P handguns, is to load a good .38 Special +P load into each of your .357 Magnum revolvers, as TGS recommended.

I can recommend both the VP9 and PPQ; I give a slight edge to the VP9 but either is a quality choice. I thought they were very similar to each other (I found they can even share some holsters). At the end of the day, I'm not too crazy about fully tensioned strikers, and neither supplanted the Glock for me. Since then I've adopted the GEN5 Glock 17 and 19, and haven't looked back.

I personally think a Glock GEN5 (whether the 17/19/45) with the Ameriglo Bold sights (SKUs PA1750303AB/PA1950303AB/PA455S303AB) are the best out-of-the-box solutions for self defense pistols. If you haven't tried a GEN5, you may find the lack of finger grooves an improvement for your grip over previous Glock generations.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

As stated these will be for inside the home self defense . For CCW one might arguably want a smaller gun . As of now I've 4 .357 mags in that role that I wish to replace . If you've ever had the need to cut loose with a .357 indoors you get my point . Rest of the uninvited guest greeters will be 1911's in 45acp .
    My criteria is full size , 9mm +p capable , visible good sights , a decent trigger & it must fit my hand & not a 1911. Subjective as most things are about a handgun . Not crazy about DA/SA nor do Glocks fit my hand . What I've found so far :
    1) Walther PPQ M2 5” upgraded Dawson sights , damn good trigger for striker gun .
    2) Canik TP9SF Elite 4.5” , Warne Tactical sights , even nicer trigger than Walther . Have heard these have problems with breaking firing pins , plus they're imported by Century .
    3) HK VP9 4 or 5” . Haven't had the chance to check one of these out yet , but have heard they're nice .
    4) Steyr L or M9 , again aint had my mitts on one either . Low bore axis , different sights for sure . Have heard grip is like trying to hold a 2 X 4 .
    I'm sure there's other choices , but I don't want to have to do action work , replace sights etc. to get what I want . Any suggestions ?
    The Canik is trash and good luck finding mags or parts for the Steyr. The HK and the Walther are fine, flip a coin and pick whichever one you want.

What pistols have proven adequate for prolonged duty use?

If you want striker fired, then Glock, M&P 2.0 w/safety, VP9 would be my first choices; for a DA/SA then Beretta 92, Beretta PX4, HK P30 would be high on the list.

Honestly, just get three identical 9 mm pistols (one for training, one for carry, one for bu &/or home use), be it G19's, M&P 2.0 compacts, PX4 compacts, and call it a day, as one pistol type like that will do both CCW and home use adequately...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    I concur with HCM - I have both and slightly prefer the VP9 to the PPQ and trust it more in the reliability department. Walther just doesnt have the track record of HK. PPQ grip and trigger are fantastic.
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    A buddy is shooting a Canik in the local matches. I'm not sure he has gotten through a match yet without malfunctions.

My bedside pistol is a Gen 3 Glock 17 with Ameriglo Tritium sights, Crimson Trace laser grips and a mounted light.

If I ever had to choose any pistol to go in harms way, without any chance to test it, only load it put in my holster, it would be a Glock 17. Any Gen, just a Glock 17.
    If I had to pick one gun to “walk the Earth” with, it would be a G17. My bedside pistol is just like yours, minus the CT grips.
    Last edited by LSP552; 01-01-2019 at 05:07 PM.

User Tag List