Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2019 Scout Rifle Build

Site Supporter
    I called Cabelas to order the savage msr 10 hunter. I was told that they don’t have any in stock and they were discontinuing it. So apparently they advertised a sale for an item they didn’t have. WTF?

According to the website it looks like they have limited stock of the 6.5 at my local Cabelas. No .308. I guess they are blowing out the remaining inventory if they are discontinuing stocking inventory.

And Cabelas wonders why people choose to shop elsewhere when it comes to firearms.

They are slowly turning into just another clothing store that once upon a time catered to hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'm 57 years old and I work in advertising. I'll carry this rifle in my hands a lot and shoot it a little, so I'll be a lot more interested if they could get one to 8 pounds scoped with a 20" or (ideally) a 22" barrel.
    If ever I heard an argument in favor of a single shot rifle, this is it. I decided to eliminate the excess weight plus BCG, magazine, 19 extra rounds, and went with a 24" TC Encore. Same length as a 20" AR but lighter.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    And Cabelas wonders why people choose to shop elsewhere when it comes to firearms.

They are slowly turning into just another clothing store that once upon a time catered to hunters.
    The NW Atlanta Cabelas (Acworth) added a huge amount of clothing after the Bass Pro merger. Took out a lot of ammo and reloading supplies. They seem to be competing with Academy now.

Site Supporter
    So I originally called Cabelas 1 800 number. No savage MSR 10 hunters in stock. They told me to call a store. I called my local Cabelas and they said they had two 308s in stock. I told him I would buy one over the phone and come out in a couple days to do the paperwork. He said we don’t put guns on hold. I explained that I wanted to pay for it over the phone and then pick it up. He said Cabelas doesn’t do that. So fast forward a few days I call up again and ask if they still have them in stock. Yes ; we have two. So I drive 45 minutes to Cabelas and go to the gun Dept and ask to see one. Salesman 1 can’t find one. All ARs look the same. Salesman 2 finds one in 6.5 creedmoor. Salesman 3 finds a 308 in the same rack that salesman 1 & 2 already looked in. I inspect it and ask salesman one to remove the trigger lock. He refuses; “Cabelas policy” can’t have anyone go terminator. I said I’ll take it and he goes in the back and brings out a new one thus so I have to inspect the new one. It looks nice. $1049 on sale. I grab a couple more PMags and a box of federal 175 gt match and a box of hornady 168 ELDs . I get it outside and remove the trigger lock. The trigger was light but did not impress me. The take up felt weak and the trigger was not that crisp. I plan on cleaning and lubing it. mounting an old Zeiss 3-9x36 seeing how it shoots

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    So I originally called Cabelas 1 800 number. No savage MSR 10 hunters in stock. They told me to call a store. I called my local Cabelas and they said they had two 308s in stock. I told him I would buy one over the phone and come out in a couple days to do the paperwork. He said we don’t put guns on hold. I explained that I wanted to pay for it over the phone and then pick it up. He said Cabelas doesn’t do that. So fast forward a few days I call up again and ask if they still have them in stock. Yes ; we have two. So I drive 45 minutes to Cabelas and go to the gun Dept and ask to see one. Salesman 1 can’t find one. All ARs look the same. Salesman 2 finds one in 6.5 creedmoor. Salesman 3 finds a 308 in the same rack that salesman 1 & 2 already looked in. I inspect it and ask salesman one to remove the trigger lock. He refuses; “Cabelas policy” can’t have anyone go terminator. I said I’ll take it and he goes in the back and brings out a new one thus so I have to inspect the new one. It looks nice. $1049 on sale. I grab a couple more PMags and a box of federal 175 gt match and a box of hornady 168 ELDs . I get it outside and remove the trigger lock. The trigger was light but did not impress me. The take up felt weak and the trigger was not that crisp. I plan on cleaning and lubing it. mounting an old Zeiss 3-9x36 seeing how it shoots
    Will be interested to hear more.

At least the trigger is an easy part to replace. As compared to, say, the handguard being FUBAR or the barrel being crap.

Speaking of, is the notch in the handguard there to allow adjustment of the gas system?

Site Supporter
    The notch is to adjust the gas. There is a good video out by PE Kelley on how to adjust it

User Tag List