Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Scout Rifle Build

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I was not aware of that. SAD that the Small Arms Defense Journal would put together that whole article and essentially misrepresent what it is talking about. Wonder if they even knew?

Presumably, the DPMS GII could be shrunk even farther for use with the USA cartridges. Which would be one reason for the .mil to not just buy a bunch of them already.

But I'll have to do some more research on the GII for myself, just to be up to speed if nothing else.

The FBI and DEA are buying a G II based .308 from Remington Defense, or TA least they were till the first production guns got recalled.

POF makes a small frame AR-10 and MEGA released one just before they were acquired by ZEV.

Once a cartridge is finalized a true “mid sized / AR-12.5” is certainly possible. The custom sized 6.8 SPC LWRC did fir a Middle East client is an example of how the design can be scaled.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    POF USA is claiming a sub 7 pound .308 AR rifle.

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/revolution-di/
    As much as I can’t stand POS, that is pretty interesting...

Site Supporter
    I got a flyer in the mail from Cabelas/ bass pro that the savage msr hunter is going on sale Friday for $1050. I was saving for a bergara but I think I will go look at them
    Last edited by Poconnor; 01-24-2019 at 01:03 PM.

I would consider the Savage MSR at that sale price. My Aero Precisicion hobby-gun build was a little under $900. The Larue Ultimate Upper Kit is about $1500 if you buy the lower receiver, too. The Savage falls in between them. Online reviews are generally positive for the MSR. The DPMS G2 has mixed reviews which is what I would expect from them. The POF is still new so I haven't found much worthwhile info online yet.
    Last edited by DamonL; 01-24-2019 at 03:05 PM.

I think that a lot of these rifles are built with a sniper or dedicated marksman role in mind. That's typically a 25-year-old in peak physical condition who's getting paid to hump whatever he's issued, so it's OK if it's a little on the heavy side.

I'm 57 years old and I work in advertising. I'll carry this rifle in my hands a lot and shoot it a little, so I'll be a lot more interested if they could get one to 8 pounds scoped with a 20" or (ideally) a 22" barrel.

I don't think that's too far off. An ultralight barrel taper and a short carbon-fiber hand guard would help. Pretty sure I could also live without a brake.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'm 57 years old and I work in advertising. I'll carry this rifle in my hands a lot and shoot it a little...
    Sounds like a pretty hostile office you work in. :-0

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Sounds like a pretty hostile office you work in. :-0
    I'm by far the most hostile person there, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

2A Armament makes a sub 7lb AR10 rifle, too.

https://www.2a-arms.com/product-p/2a-xrc18sc15blk-1.htm

The POF and 2A rifles are not cheap, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    POF USA is claiming a sub 7 pound .308 AR rifle.

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/revolution-di/
    Full stop, this rifle has my undivided attention now. Might let my DD5 go to pick up one of these!
    Shoot more, post less...

Scout Rifle

I kinda have a Scout.Its a Mossberg MVP Patrol 308 with a Vortex 2 X7 X32 scope,great rifle.

User Tag List