Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Index, Recoil, Grip. Not the expected result.

I experimented with less grip tension today on a three target array, and my splits and transitions were significantly faster than when gripping the pistol harder.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think once your trigger control is at a certain level the benefits of a death grip evaporate and suddenly Cooper was right again, hold it like a startled grouse.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I think once your trigger control is at a certain level the benefits of a death grip evaporate and suddenly Cooper was right again, hold it like a startled grouse.
    I’m also thinking that the light weight plastic pistols were the primary emphasis for a crush grip focus. I know that I need to grip my Glocks harder than my metal frame pistols for the same results.

And there isn’t a right answer, just the right answer for the individual.
    Last edited by LSP552; 01-04-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I would not have thought to use that analogy. Nor do I have the frame of reference to get it. Oh the generational gap.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    So at the range today I ran a drill (I forget the name) to see if my dot would return from whence it came after the shot.
    How's your wrist, elbow and arm tension? Ron does a good job explaining here:

Similar to the trigger advice, where we say to try both more and less trigger finger, I am starting to think we should try more and less grip and evaluate what works better for you.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I would not have thought to use that analogy. Nor do I have the frame of reference to get it.
    Me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Similar to the trigger advice, where we say to try both more and less trigger finger, I am starting to think we should try more and less grip and evaluate what works better for you.
    Back in the day, Matt Burkett used what he called a "timing drill" to shake out grip, stance and recoil control. Three targets at 15 yards. 1st target mag dump with a loose grip, 2nd target medium grip, 3rd target very hard grip. Then use 3 new targets, and do the same thing at a faster speed. You might do several iterations starting at 1.0 sec per shot, 0.5 per shot, and 0.25 per shot, etc. Make sure you label each target during the drill. Then evaluate the targets, looking for your new favorite grip at your best speed. This is your current match mode. At later practice days, perform the drill again starting at your current match speed. This drill is pretty ammo intensive, but the target patterns tend to point out what grip is working best for you.
    Last edited by GNiner; 01-05-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Depends on the gun for me. I have to grip the crap out of Glocks because I don’t have enough trigger control to work the trigger well. I use less gripping force on a 1911 and generally shoot them a little bit better at distant targets shot quickly, but it’s not a big difference. It’s more a function of not having to remember to choke the Glock — but if I’m shooting regularly that’s not much of an issue either.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I think grip is evolutionary. What you think is backing off or "loose grip" is still harder than when you first started shooting. It is relative to your experience/time on your gun. Over time your grip actually gets harder because you become more aware of specifically where and how to grip your gun to track sights/dot and still leave your trigger finger relaxed. Eventually you can get to the point where you can be gripping too hard or too much in the wrong places or without the correct proportions with your strong/weak hand. At this point, you "relax your grip" and become confused because you shoot better. In reality, you are gripping just as hard as you once were, its just more refined now. I would say you are at that point and that's a good thing.

User Tag List