Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Index, Recoil, Grip. Not the expected result.

Index, Recoil, Grip. Not the expected result.

So at the range today I ran a drill (I forget the name) to see if my dot would return from whence it came after the shot. IE, fire one shot noting where the dot was when the shot broke compared to where the pistol/dot came back to rest after recoil. With every shot it was always a little higher, still in the window but slightly higher. I gleaned from this the pistol was moving in my hand (though I could not feel it) So, I tightened my grip even more, not to the point of convulsing but pretty damn tight. Same result. So, I backed off my grip and ran the drill again. Now it's difficult to convey an amount of grip but it was less than when I run say a Bill Drill. The pistol/dot returned back to the same place after every shot with less grip tension.

I'm perplexed by this. Has anyone else had this experience? Can anyone give me an explanation?

G17-5
    Trijicon RMR

David

Kwasnsik Kim (USPSA) has been talking on a few podcasts about just this thing lately.

Firearms nation and Ben Stoegers podcasts.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Hammertime
    I also heard Eric Grauffel speak about bit having too much grip pressure on a podcast recently. Surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    So at the range today I ran a drill (I forget the name) to see if my dot would return from whence it came after the shot. IE, fire one shot noting where the dot was when the shot broke compared to where the pistol/dot came back to rest after recoil. With every shot it was always a little higher, still in the window but slightly higher. I gleaned from this the pistol was moving in my hand (though I could not feel it) So, I tightened my grip even more, not to the point of convulsing but pretty damn tight. Same result. So, I backed off my grip and ran the drill again. Now it's difficult to convey an amount of grip but it was less than when I run say a Bill Drill. The pistol/dot returned back to the same place after every shot with less grip tension.

I'm perplexed by this. Has anyone else had this experience? Can anyone give me an explanation?

G17-5
    Trijicon RMR

David
    Was your accuracy better, worse, or same? I’ve relaxed my grip while shooting my 226 on 5-10 DA shots, and seen an increase in accuracy, which was surprising. I just pulled the trigger a little smoother & quicker, as if I didn’t care, and I was shocked at the result.

This is one example of why I occasionally shoot with a laser. It allows you to see things you may not be aware of. Good on you for determining what works for you.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Was your accuracy better, worse, or same? I’ve relaxed my grip while shooting my 226 on 5-10 DA shots, and seen an increase in accuracy, which was surprising. I just pulled the trigger a little smoother & quicker, as if I didn’t care, and I was shocked at the result.
    With the somewhat relaxed grip I shot 7 rounds at 3 yards and fast as I could. Not on a timer but I'm guessing from past experience around .20 splits. I ended with one ragged hole that I did not measure or snap a pic of but it was 1.5-2.0 inches IIRC. I may still have the target I'll check when I get home.

Less grip pressure is the main point of this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Pisto...shooting+books

I am not saying he is right, but I don't find shooting very enjoyable when I use a lot of grip pressure, and I also l find it very tiring.

Randy

Not uncommon at all, but can be perplexing. Often the answer of "grip harder" is given for any issues related to recoil/grip/tracking, and that is often incorrect, IMO. We speak a lot about keeping elbows unlocked to act as a suspension system, but when it comes to grip almost everyone wants death grips and hard locks, which has quite the opposite effect from what I've seen, especially with harder recoiling guns (.40, .45, 10mm, etc.). Using a more "relaxed" grip, while still allowing the support hand to grip harder than the strong hand, allows the hands to adhere to the gun better. This allows them to move with the gun instead of staying rigid and staying stationary while the gun moves. Some have referred to it as a "pliable hands" technique. Allowing your hands to move with the gun in recoil allows the gun to track better than if you over grip the gun and essentially stop it from tracking properly and break from the torque of recoil. As with many things, there is a point where you can under grip the gun, but if the gun is tracking and the hands aren't separating, in a nutshell you're probably on the right track.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives you the tests first and the lessons later." - Oscar Wilde.
    | www.PracticalPerformance.org | Facebook | Instagram |

Quote Originally Posted by AJZ View Post
    Not uncommon at all, but can be perplexing. Often the answer of "grip harder" is given for any issues related to recoil/grip/tracking, and that is often incorrect, IMO. We speak a lot about keeping elbows unlocked to act as a suspension system, but when it comes to grip almost everyone wants death grips and hard locks, which has quite the opposite effect from what I've seen, especially with harder recoiling guns (.40, .45, 10mm, etc.). Using a more "relaxed" grip, while still allowing the support hand to grip harder than the strong hand, allows the hands to adhere to the gun better. This allows them to move with the gun instead of staying rigid and staying stationary while the gun moves. Some have referred to it as a "pliable hands" technique. Allowing your hands to move with the gun in recoil allows the gun to track better than if you over grip the gun and essentially stop it from tracking properly and break from the torque of recoil. As with many things, there is a point where you can under grip the gun, but if the gun is tracking and the hands aren't separating, in a nutshell you're probably on the right track.
    Thank you AJ, this makes so much sense. At the range and for hours after, it made no sense to me at all. It seemed so contradictory to what I have heard and practiced.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Thank you AJ, this makes so much sense. At the range and for hours after, it made no sense to me at all. It seemed so contradictory to what I have heard and practiced.
    David
    You bet Dave! Glad I could help!
    "Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives you the tests first and the lessons later." - Oscar Wilde.
    | www.PracticalPerformance.org | Facebook | Instagram |

User Tag List