Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta px4 .40 new owner

Beretta px4 .40 new owner

Hello, just purchased a Px4 . 40 type F. This is my first handgun, and my knowledge level is right between jack and sh*t. I'm a big manual reader and have studied the factory manual before even thinking about firing the gun. My question right now - during my second practice field strip and reassembly, a tab which is apparently the firing pin block plunger lever was sticking up from the rear of the frame preventing me from installing the slide on the frame. Wondering what might have caused this, possibly something I did wrong when removing the slide?

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by newbie-noob View Post
    Hello, just purchased a Px4 . 40 type F. This is my first handgun, and my knowledge level is right between jack and sh*t. I'm a big manual reader and have studied the factory manual before even thinking about firing the gun. My question right now - during my second practice field strip and reassembly, a tab which is apparently the firing pin block plunger lever was sticking up from the rear of the frame preventing me from installing the slide on the frame. Wondering what might have caused this, possibly something I did wrong when removing the slide?
    The two levers on the right side rear of your frame are the firing pin block plunger lever, in front and your hammer drop lever behind it. When they are clean they should move up and down freely just by gravity. For the front one to be sticking up is perfectly normal, it indicates that your pistol is nice and clean.

I have always been in the habit of checking to push it down gently, so as to not have it hit the back of the slide. But, this is perfectly normal.

Thanks

Thanks for the response and info. It's neat that yours was the first response - I googled "Beretta px4 exploded view" to get an idea of the parts and one of the top results was a thread on this forum where you'd posted a bunch of pictures of the gun's parts in response to a question, and that's what brought me here.

Awesome!

Thanks for the response and info. It's neat that yours was the first response - I googled "Beretta px4 exploded view" to get an idea of the parts and one of the top results was a thread on this forum where you'd posted a bunch of pictures of the gun's parts in response to a question, and that's what brought me here.
    I'm glad you're here and I look forward to more interactions!

Site Supporter
    Read what Ernest Langdon PX4 Tracker have posted here about the weapon system you own.

Additionally if this is your first pistol, go take a basic class to help you learn how to safely and properly use the gun.

Site Supporter
    You didn't do anything wrong. Those levers flop around. Same set up on a 92.

Name:  IMG_9843.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  91.0 KB

Congrats on your purchase of a Beretta PX4 Storm!! in my very humble opinion it is one heck of a firearm. I too purchased a PX4 Storm full size but in 9mm last April and like you it was my first handgun purchased. Even though I had already proudly exercised my 2nd Amendment right by previously purchasing and owning a Ruger 556 AR, I felt I needed a more "go to" firearm for personal and home defense, and choosing a Beretta PX4 Storm felt just right. Mind you I came across a deal with Outdoor Sportsman Superstore that was way too good to pass up at $399, and immediately afterwards I picked up two extended magazines of 20 rds directly from Beretta on sale for like $24 a piece. So needless to say I was one happy camper indeed.

I've taken the PX4 to the range a half a dozen times, and find that it is flawless in its performance with minimal recoil to contend with so my shot groupings have increasingly improved rapidly under the guidance of NRA instructors that are friends of mine. It is also a breeze to disassemble and clean/lubricate. I will admit, that initially as it was the only firearm I possessed for like ten months that I did try and make use of 3 types of holsters that I rotate depending on why I decide to conceal carry. A leather holster by Cardini for like $35 that is quite low profile and pretty comfortable, a Sticky Holster that for $30 is quite convenient and real practical if I am doing something quick like walking the dog around the neighberhood and which serves as a convenient sleeve to keep the PX4 by the nightstand loaded with Hornby Critical Duty JHP. Last but not least I picked up a hybrid kydex holster again directly from Beretta made for it on a good deal for like $45, that makes use of two belt clips and is more comfortable and secure for me to wear at the 5pm position if I am going to conceal carry for the day & night along with needing to drive around town. Saying all this, I no longer carry my Beretta PX4 around for conceal purposes as much at all even though in a pinch I know I can as I recently picked up a slim single stack Springfield Armory XD-E 9mm for EDC purposes. Hoping that some of the above from a rather recent PX4 Storm owner might help...

Hello again, got a follow-up question

Quote Originally Posted by Tazgator View Post
    Name:  IMG_9843.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  91.0 KB

Congrats on your purchase of a Beretta PX4 Storm!! in my very humble opinion it is one heck of a firearm. I too purchased a PX4 Storm full size but in 9mm last April and like you it was my first handgun purchased. Even though I had already proudly exercised my 2nd Amendment right by previously purchasing and owning a Ruger 556 AR, I felt I needed a more "go to" firearm for personal and home defense, and choosing a Beretta PX4 Storm felt just right. Mind you I came across a deal with Outdoor Sportsman Superstore that was way too good to pass up at $399, and immediately afterwards I picked up two extended magazines of 20 rds directly from Beretta on sale for like $24 a piece. So needless to say I was one happy camper indeed.

I've taken the PX4 to the range a half a dozen times, and find that it is flawless in its performance with minimal recoil to contend with so my shot groupings have increasingly improved rapidly under the guidance of NRA instructors that are friends of mine. It is also a breeze to disassemble and clean/lubricate. I will admit, that initially as it was the only firearm I possessed for like ten months that I did try and make use of 3 types of holsters that I rotate depending on why I decide to conceal carry. A leather holster by Cardini for like $35 that is quite low profile and pretty comfortable, a Sticky Holster that for $30 is quite convenient and real practical if I am doing something quick like walking the dog around the neighberhood and which serves as a convenient sleeve to keep the PX4 by the nightstand loaded with Hornby Critical Duty JHP. Last but not least I picked up a hybrid kydex holster again directly from Beretta made for it on a good deal for like $45, that makes use of two belt clips and is more comfortable and secure for me to wear at the 5pm position if I am going to conceal carry for the day & night along with needing to drive around town. Saying all this, I no longer carry my Beretta PX4 around for conceal purposes as much at all even though in a pinch I know I can as I recently picked up a slim single stack Springfield Armory XD-E 9mm for EDC purposes. Hoping that some of the above from a rather recent PX4 Storm owner might help...
    First of all, thanks again to all for the welcoming and informative replies. It's been a little bit since I posted; I have shot it once so far, that went well, can't wait to get a chance to get it out there again. I have another technical question, while cleaning the gun I noticed two small holes in the top of the slide, just fore of the rear sight. One is open, one has a cap/plug. I am wondering what they are and if the open one is supposed to be covered as well. Didn't see them mentioned in the owner's manual. Thanks again.

holes on purpose

First of all, thanks again to all for the welcoming and informative replies. It's been a little bit since I posted; I have shot it once so far, that went well, can't wait to get a chance to get it out there again. I have another technical question, while cleaning the gun I noticed two small holes in the top of the slide, just fore of the rear sight. One is open, one has a cap/plug. I am wondering what they are and if the open one is supposed to be covered as well. Didn't see them mentioned in the owner's manual. Thanks again.
    Good question! The rear most hole with a plug is your firing pin block plunger stem hole. When the trigger is held to the rear, you will notice that the stem rises up to unblock the firing pin so you can fire. That is normal and an advantage. With a Beretta pistol you can have visual and tactile confirmation that your firing pin block safety is working. When the pistol is empty and clear, pointed in a safe direction, try bringing the trigger back and watch the stem rise!

The smaller hole in front of it appears open, but houses the extractor roll pin. It should not be plugged. You can keep that spot clean or not... it will not make a difference. There is a matching hole on the bottom of the slide, if you look underneath.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page4 post 32

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page5 post 41
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-23-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    Along with what Storm Tracker posted, the firing pin block is what protrudes from top of slide. Beretta does this on the 92 model as well. This is to give visual feedback the firing pin block isn't compromised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db8t-f54Im0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA8btM5RFp4

These two videos from Ernest Langdon show the design basis for many of the features on a 92. 99% of this applies also to the PX4.

User Tag List