Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon 550 frame breaks after many-many rounds

Site Supporter

Dillon 550 frame breaks after many-many rounds

Lots of rain in NW GA last week or so. Been prepping brass and reloading. Specifically loading 6.8 SPC because I had collected a bunch of brass and got a deal on pulled Sierra 115 BTHPs. Loaded about 25 to test load - shot great today. All good - started to load in volume and oops. Dillon 550 frame sheared away at the primer system area - no telling how many thousands of rounds this 550 has loaded. No real advance notice, just quit priming since the priming system was no longer lining up, went to line it all up and the priming system came off in my hand. I am sure Dillon will make it right - sent them a note and hope to get feedback after New Years. I have two other 550s so I guess the one dedicated to 9mm will become a 6.8 SPC press for a while. ( I picked up two more 550s "cheap" off local classifieds over the years).

Name:  Dillon550_1.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  31.1 KBName:  Dillon550_2.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  30.5 KB

Did you load a lot of rifle on that press? I can't begin to guess how many thousands of rounds of .38 and .357 I've loaded on mine and have yet to see any form of weakness like that.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    The piece that the handle screws into cracked on mine a few months back. Dillon gave me the option of them sending me the part or me sending the press to them to repair. I took the second option. I got the press back a couple of weeks later. I think the only original part was the ram and the shell plate, they replaced everything else - basically a new press ten years after I got the original. Great customer service!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Did you load a lot of rifle on that press? I can't begin to guess how many thousands of rounds of .38 and .357 I've loaded on mine and have yet to see any form of weakness like that.
    I bought that press used set up for 223. No idea how many rounds loaded before I got it. I have loaded a lot of 223 with it since I got it. Converting to 6.8 must have jinxed it.

Site Supporter
    Yes, I had a Dillon Square Deal in 45ACP that also had a frame break. I sent it back to Dillon and I essentially got a new SDB in return, I think they used the original SDB dies, etc.
    Last edited by ranger; 12-29-2018 at 09:50 PM.

I broke two SDB frames. The second replacement was beefed up, they were paying attention.

Saw pictures of a broken Rockchucker recently.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 12-29-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I've seen similar breaks on the Dillon FB group. Its not a common occurrence but apparently it does happen on the 550's and 650's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I load nothing but pistol on my 650. I’ve managed to break the knuckle a few years back, then one of the Arms a year later. I’ve got 500K+ through it. Dillon sent replacement parts both times. They are truly an amazing company. After the arm break, I bought myself a 1050, partly to give thanks to Dillon, partly to treat myself, and partly because I never wanted to be down again, at least for 9mm or .40.

Other than the 1050 all Dillon presses have a lifetime warranty. They will replace it or completely rebuild it for free.

I think this is why Dillon says to take it easy on the torque when installing the primer feeder/magazine assembly on the 550... IIRC over-tightening contributes to this happening.

User Tag List