Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two-Point Sling Recommendation for 590A1?

Site Supporter

Two-Point Sling Recommendation for 590A1?

I'm planning on taking a shotgun class from some guy named Weems when he comes to TX in June. He requires slings on shotguns in his class, and my 590A1 is nekkid. I went through this whole sub-forum and the only discussion I found was on one-vs. two-point slings.

I've got a 590A1 with the 20" barrel and ghost ring sights. It's stock except for the magazine spring, the front sight and a side saddle. I may replace the buttstock with a Magpul. What two-point slings, and, if necessary, attachment hardware have been found to work well? The shotgun will be used for class and home defense.

Thanks!

I went down this route a few years ago and found that a simple Vickers 2-point with side mount hardware on a shotgun works really well. This allowed me to sling the gun across the body and also execute presentations from the American and African style carries that are still often taught in shotgun courses. I had toyed previously with the VTAC, which I run on my carbines, and Wilderness 2 and 3-point slings. I hope this helps.

My girlfriend uses a simple two point carry strap attached with simple, old school sling swivels. I believe 590's tend to come equipped with the mounting points for the swivels?

This setup is not high speed in any way, but works perfectly well for carrying the shotgun in an administrative manner, can be pretty quick to bring to action from African carry, and can be made to work with transitions. (Although not already wearing the sling when the time comes to transition to a pistol obviously makes the operation a bit more tricky than with wearing an adjustable two point sling. Transitions from shotguns tend not to be a big part of our use of shotguns.)

I was actually going to post a similar question about my new 870. I'm uncertain whether I want the rear sling mount at the rear of the receiver, a traditional sling swivel stud on the bottom of the rear stock, or a sling loop on the side of the stock. I'm also unsure whether to stick with a good old plain carry strap or to spend money on a more fashionable, adjustable sling. I mean, I have an adjustable sling on my AR so I can definitely see the appeal, but with shotguns I've managed just fine with a plain strap so far...

Ditto for Vickers.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    ...I'm uncertain whether I want the rear sling mount at the rear of the receiver....
    YMMV, but I put one of the Magpul adapters on my 500, and it hurt like hell when I switched to left handed. I thought I had broken my hand.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Ouch. Okay, that's a very good point.

Definitely at least stay away from those ambidextrous sling plates with sling mounting loops on both sides of the gun, then?

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Ouch. Okay, that's a very good point.

Definitely at least stay away from those ambidextrous sling plates with sling mounting loops on both sides of the gun, then?
    Like I said, YMMV, but for me, even low recoil birdshot felt like I'd shattered my hand.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I screwed an old GG&G quick disconnect rear sling adapter on the side of a Remington 870 youth stock. I actually "reverse" slung it like my ARs to facilitate transition between shoulders without choking myself. The forward sling attaches using a standard sling side attachment to the magazine tube.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    https://www.magpul.com/products/forw...ssberg-500-590

I use Magpul’s forward sling mount and the QD on the side of the SGA stock.

Don’t use the mount that goes between the stock and receiver. As said, it’ll tear you up if you transition to LH.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've got a 590A1 with the 20" barrel and ghost ring sights.
    Same here. After chasing my tail on slings, I ended up back where I started: bottom mounted QD swivels, GI carry strap.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Two-Point Sling Recommendation for 590A1?

If I had a 590 ( I don’t but I plan on getting the walnut stocked retro version they are releasing) I’d run a leather GI carry strap, like Mickey Knox had in NBK.

I’ve also taken Lee’s shotgun class and I know that setup would work for that course, and for real life in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 12-29-2018 at 09:38 PM.

User Tag List