Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your draw index or sights driven

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Index, focused on the target but picking up sights peripherally.
    This is pretty much what I do.

This looks pretty index driven to me

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsEAmxdn...on_share_sheet

Which to be fair I had to spend a lot of time in dry fire to build a repeatable index.
    Last edited by jetfire; 12-31-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Index. I’ve also stopped focusing on the sights at all for anything short of bullseye shooting or small 1-2” dots and target focus everything else.

How well does an index draw work on uneven terrain or awkward positions, while moving, or when the target is moving?

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    How well does an index draw work on uneven terrain or awkward positions, while moving, or when the target is moving?
    The way you efficiently find a red dot on “uneven terrain or awkward positions, while moving, or when the target is moving” is with a refined index, as looking for the dot visually leads to much fishing around.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Extremely well when you practice regularly from awkward positions, while moving, and on moving targets. In fact, an index on moving targets is significantly faster and more accurate than trying to follow your sight with the target in the periphery.

As @GJM, @Gio, and others have said--a reliable index is fundamental. The goal is to be able to draw, pick up, or just move the gun, and have the sights aligned with the target. There's some confusion about the role that visual feedback plays. Can we rely on a "feedforward" presentation and break the shot without any visual feedback? Unless the target is fairly large, close, and stationary, the answer is probably not. There's a lot of feedback and adjustment required to line up and time the shot. What's interesting is how "what you need to see" to do that differs so much among people.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Index.

Schizo-cross-dominant. (Left-handed, but right-armed; decided to carry at 0300, in 1983. “Incomplete” left-eye-dominance.)

Sighting has always been a struggle.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-17-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Extremely well when you practice regularly from awkward positions, while moving, and on moving targets. In fact, an index on moving targets is significantly faster and more accurate than trying to follow your sight with the target in the periphery.
    ^^This^^
    I've lost count of how many running groundhogs and raccoons have been put down using index. Also when shooting swinging bowling pins, if I drive the sights I am behind the target.
    Taking a break from social media.

Definitely index, but bio-mechanics refined and confirmed thorough lots of par time/precision work in live fire practice. Otherwise, you don't buy any time fishing for sights or dot at full extension. For most, index vs sight-driven ends up being a wash if you have to correct sight picture at extension for even .2 seconds during draws, reloads, or entering a position.

User Tag List