Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your draw index or sights driven

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Index, focused on the target but picking up sights peripherally. I have used the analogy of driving a straight line from the holster to full extension. As I’ve gotten older, a hi-vis front has gottton much easier to pick up peripherally at speed. IMO, this is where fiber, HDs, ProGlos really “shine”.
    This.

All black may be great for pure precision, but most shooting that people engage in isn’t precision shooting. A lot of good work can be done by focusing on the target or somewhere between the target and front sight and merely paying attention to the front sight THROUGH the rear sight. Hitting the A zone is way more about proper grip and trigger press than it is seeing a perfect or even great sight picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Index here. That's what Proctor promoted when we trained with him also.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Index, focused on the target but picking up sights peripherally. I have used the analogy of driving a straight line from the holster to full extension. As I’ve gotten older, a hi-vis front has gottton much easier to pick up peripherally at speed. IMO, this is where fiber, HDs, ProGlos really “shine”.
    I am a copycat of what LSP552 does. The hi-vis front is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Early afternoon, we hit the range to test the work. It was darn cold and windy, which didn’t help things. After initial results seemed promising, I tested it on an eight steel at 25 yards. It felt a lot easier using index than sights as primary, an the timer said I was drawing to the eight inch at 25 yards in .80-.93.

Might be worth examining your draw in slow motion and seeing if you can be more efficient.
    Would you be willing to take and share a slo-mo video of your draw some time? You are so fast I can't really see anything. Lol.

(If you have already done it and I missed it, could you point me in the right direction?)

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Would you be willing to take and share a slo-mo video of your draw some time? You are so fast I can't really see anything. Lol.

(If you have already done it and I missed it, could you point me in the right direction?)
    FYI, you can run YT down to 0.25x speed, in the App on an IPad at least.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post

I took my iPhone and used the slow motion setting to film the same video. Not sure if it helps you.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That’s great. Thanks, GJM!

And thanks Rich, I didn’t know that. Works on the IPhone too.

Sooo.... what are the points of performance for drawing to index? Is there a video where someone walks you through it?

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Sooo.... what are the points of performance for drawing to index? Is there a video where someone walks you through it?

If you start with your gun pointed at the target, and efficiently return the pistol to the holster, that is a perfect draw in reverse. Another example, would be to take your index finger and point at a spot on the wall, and observe that path, which goes out and up at the end.

Leaving aside the draw path, there is a difference that I may not have made clear in my OP. Using a classic press out, the idea is to get the sights into the eye line as early as possible, and use your vision to move the sights to the target. With an index approach, you look at the target, and then the index you have developed throughout your life brings the pistol to your spot, and you use your sights to confirm your index.

TPC is very big on index, not just with the draw but on successive shots. Their stance and grip is designed to make the pistol return consistently, not prevent the pistol from recoiling. Their theory is when the pistol returns consistently, you can fire earlier successive shots.

And just for fun, this was some practice pushing speed this summer, when I was warmed up and relaxed.

User Tag List