Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is your draw index or sights driven

Had an issue with it in a class many moons ago and the instructor with the loveable moniker of Mr. Grumpy put it in simple terms: "Look where you want to shoot and that's where you'll draw to." Pretty simplified and has less colorful language and doesn't account for the multitude of variables that go into the draw but it was sound advise as more rounds found the target than previously before.

Quote Originally Posted by Keebsley View Post
    Had an issue with it in a class many moons ago and the instructor with the loveable moniker of Mr. Grumpy put it in simple terms: "Look where you want to shoot and that's where you'll draw to." Pretty simplified and has less colorful language and doesn't account for the multitude of variables that go into the draw but it was sound advise as more rounds found the target than previously before.
    That says it all, couldn't agree more. The foundation of a good index is good eyes. Being able to focus on a very specific location and then snap the gun there with the least amount of extra movement is key. It is not enough to shift your eyes to a large target; you only have two choices at that point - take the shot and hope its in, or make another adjustment before firing. Each scenario will cost you time and/or points. You have to sight the specific location you want to shoot and then be able to index or transition to that location. Sloppy eyes = sloppy index/transitions. This is the core of my training right now and hope to make some good gains this year on this basis.

While it is pretty obvious, something I have been working on relates to your vision post -- that is looking at the center of each steel and paper target I am engaging.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Makes sense to me. Same thing applies to driving a car or boat, throwing darts, etc.

User Tag List