Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39 Better than Pistol Caliber for Home Defense?

7.62x39 Better than Pistol Caliber for Home Defense?

Based on data from DocGKR, I'm wondering if my Arsenal SAM7 carbine would be a better choice for home defense than a pistol if using Hornady SST 7.62x39 ammunition. It seems to not penetrate more than most pistol rounds, but is far more effective.

From DocGKR:
    Horn 123 gr SST (improperly labeled VMAX)
    Bare Gelatin: vel=2242 f/s, pen=15.6", RD=.58", RL=.32", RW=99.6 gr
    Unable to recover any auto windshield shots, as all projectiles exited at an angle out of the gel block after 12-13'' pen.

However, if a shot misses, will it be more likely to go through more walls and retain enough energy to cause more danger to innocents than an approved JHP pistol round would? What about compared to a Federal 5.56 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw?

I'd love to hear from DocGKR on this, but I know he's a busy man. I'd appreciate anyone's insight. Thanks. I've been a reader of this forum for many years, but finally made an account to post this question.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Pistol bullets keep on trucking through drywall or glancing off a stud. Good hits on studs or a header stops them. In a lot of drive-by shootings you'll find it going through the exterior wall then two rooms before failing to penetrate the drywall. We use a JSP 55gr bullet in our patrol rifles. Works great on meat targets, very quickly breaks up and looks more like sandblasting then a bullet strike very quickly after intermediate barriers. No experience with the 7.62 listed.

My general thought on the matter is, pre-plan your firefight in your own home. Remember it's a 3D world and not every bullet you fire has to be parallel to the ground. Strategically loaded bookcases can make backstops. Know the safe angles to fire along. Some residences are easy. Some, like a middle floor apartment in a large complex, may be significantly more challenging. Remember the absolute best answer is to not miss and to end the bad guy's ability to fire very quickly, as he's unlikely to be concerned with a backstop. What you shoot best first, then what's where on the wall penetration scale second.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Remember the absolute best answer is to not miss and to end the bad guy's ability to fire very quickly, as he's unlikely to be concerned with a backstop. What you shoot best first, then what's where on the wall penetration scale second.
    Good mindset to have. Part of what's making me consider switching to my SAM7 carbine for home defense from my G19 is the fact that I have many thousands of more rounds through it than any other long gun, even my AR.

Why does it have to be either/or?

Mas Ayoob has long maintained that the long gun (rifle/shotgun) is best from a fixed position, like the master bedroom toward the point of entry, where the pistol can be on your person at all times, can be at the ready when answering a strange knock at the door. and is more maneuverable when checking out the "bump in the night". Try to think of a layered approach.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

There are few things better than a 5.56 mm AR15 for home defense use--accurate, ergonomic, reliable, highly "shootable", with limited down range penetration hazard.

7.62x39 mm (and similar .300 BLK or lightweight .30-30) with an expanding projectile is certainly better than most handguns, but likely not as ideal as the 5.56 mm AR15.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

There are few things better than a 5.56 mm AR15 for home defense use--accurate, ergonomic, reliable, highly "shootable", with limited down range penetration hazard.

7.62x39 mm (and similar .300 BLK or lightweight .30-30) with an expanding projectile is certainly better than most handguns, but likely not as ideal as the 5.56 mm AR15.
    DocGKR, I greatly appreciate your response.

Is the 5.56mm more ideal because of less chance of overpenetration compared to the best-performing 7.62x39mm? Or are there other factors, such as the 5.56mm AR15's endless market support?

"Is the 5.56mm more ideal because of less chance of overpenetration compared to the best-performing 7.62x39mm?"
    Yes, for non-permissive indoor use (ex. CQB, HR, home defense, etc...).

For outdoor/wilderness defense, vehicle, hunting up to med game, I'd go reverse and prefer well engineered expanding 7.62x39mm, .300 BLK, .30-30.

"Or are there other factors..."
    Primarily ergonomic (few long guns are as easy to use as an AR15, as most Nations SOF have demonstrated in countless conflicts) and education, since more Americans have been trained to safely and effectively use the AR15 than any other firearm currently available.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 12-29-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Yes, for non-permissive indoor use (ex. CQB, HR, home defense, etc...).
    Primarily ergonomic (few long guns are as easy to use as an AR15, as most Nations SOF have demonstrated in countless conflicts) and education, since more Americans have been trained to safely and effectively use the AR15 than any other firearm currently available.
    Got it. I'll start practicing more with my LE6920 for the home defense role. I'd also been considering a 6.8mm upper, but it sounds like the 5.56mm is the way to go for home defense.

Thanks again, Doc. That helps a lot!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GlorifiedMailman View Post
    Got it. I'll start practicing more with my LE6920 for the home defense role. I'd also been considering a 6.8mm upper, but it sounds like the 5.56mm is the way to go for home defense.

Thanks again, Doc. That helps a lot!
    Use the 6.8 for outdoors. They've been used for animals up to elk size.

6.8 mm SPC is my favorite AR15 hunting caliber for lower 48 game out to around 300 yds....

User Tag List