Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you learn in 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Sounds like a lot of healthy improvements.

After the past 6 months of major deteriorating personal standards and health as a super dramatic and stressful relationship reached a conclusion, I am doing a 6-month dry spell, exercise, and took social media off my phone. Last time I did this in 2017 i lost 40 pounds. Hoping it's for good this time.
    Good luck on your endeavor!

I found that diet and sleep are the biggest factors in getting to a healthy spot. If you can throw in some NEAT/LSD walks it would definitely help as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Tried to stop chasing all the excellent platforms - focused on M&P 2.0 Compact (4") for carry and 4.25" and 5" for competition/practice. Sold/traded off multiple excellent platforms to focus on the M&P 2.0. Fought off the siren call of the G5 G19/17/19x/45 successfully in 2018.

Learning more about hunting with another successful DIY trip to Wyoming - I have lots of experience walking with a rifle but little hunting experience.

Enjoying work but looking toward retirement - see the light in the distance. Starting to travel to rehearse.

At a point in career, where I can spend more time with grown children and first granddaughter - repaying my parents by helping kids as required.

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    and look to see if Southnarc has decided to schedule ECQC closer than two states away.
    I promise you this: take the class in 2019, and you’ll find something to put on the list for next year’s thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

A re-learn: No matter how well you do your job, someone, somewhere, is not going to do their job and you'll end up behind/delayed because someone else is a fuck up.
    Fair point
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Hmm, what did I learn in 2018? Well if you’re not learning something new, you’re not living. But a few key things stuck out for me are as follows;

I learned that ego still sucks.
    You’re never to old to to do/achieve the things that you want.
    To just accept the obsession of this hobby, or what we like to call the gun community, and understand that it likely won’t dissipate and that shooting sports/competition takes it to a whole other level.
    The importance of organization and note taking as you get older.
    Getting old sucks
    Eating healthy and regular excercise are critical to mental health as you age.
    PF is the best forum on the net.

What I’m learning from this thread... not joking Facebook was a wise decision.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

...my dad jokes are not always appreciated. I'll work on that...part time).
    We still like you, though.

Awesome thread.

I hit the big six-oh in Feb. I’ll have to think about what I’ve learned in 2018 and post back.

PS I also quit Facebook and don’t miss it in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    We still like you, though.

Awesome thread.

I hit the big six-oh in Feb. I’ll have to think about what I’ve learned in 2018 and post back.

PS I also quit Facebook and don’t miss it in the least.

Just havin' a little fun. If we can't laugh at ourselves, what's the point?

Oh, and I've never been on facebook, so at least I've got that going for me.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Same thing I learn every year: I didn't know as much as I thought I did.

Pushing hard with a 1911 in 45 ACP made me a better shooter with everything.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I learned that I have been spending too much time on work and not enough on living my life.

I also realised that you should never take on responsibility for anything in greater proportion than you have control of it.

Self improvement is great but there can be a toxic, culty component to it as well. Not every second needs to be used doing goblet squats, learning mandarin, or practising your draw stroke. It's okay to just read a book or watch a movie.

The more time I give my mind to just freewheel, the more creative endeavours I am likely to take on. The more my time is spoken for, the less I do for myself and the less I get out of life.

The only "Netflix Originals" worth watching are foreign ones they bought from somebody else. But if it was produced in China it will be terrible, no matter how the description makes it sound.

Trust your instincts about people.

Four rabbits or two rabbits are easier to manage than three.

Oh another Netflix one: they pay more attention to "series completion" than rating so if you give up on a series halfway through that's better than a thumbs down or whatever. I learned that in the sense that I read it somewhere, I didn't discover it through personal growth.

No matter how much you might be occasionally tempted, do not participate in firearms debates on general interest forums.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List