Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you learn in 2018?

I can and should do better, at everything.

Paper books are better than Ebooks.

The Dunning Kruger effect is real... especially on the internet.

Vending Machine Operator
    I learned about the work by the Norwegian Resistance in sabotaging German developments of nuclear weapons by sabotaging heavy water development and supplies.

I have been studying World War 2 with intensity and love for decades, and there are still so many stories of heroism I have yet to learn.

I also made the permanent transition to 9mm. Pretty productive year.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I learned about the work by the Norwegian Resistance in sabotaging German developments of nuclear weapons by sabotaging heavy water development and supplies.

I have been studying World War 2 with intensity and love for decades, and there are still so many stories of heroism I have yet to learn.

I also made the permanent transition to 9mm. Pretty productive year.

Have you read the Storm of War by Andrew Roberts? It’s an excellent book that covers all of WW2. The audio version is 27 hours and I’ve listened to it three times.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Practice and the familiarity that results from it are far more important than hardware.

A focus on gear, which leads me to buy guns that I don’t need and to focus on inconsequential increments of velocity and accuracy rather than actually shooting
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Life is better without Facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    a good wife is a treasure
    This. I don't even have to post.

I will say that every time the Semi Auto forum section tempts me to buy another 9mm Glock or RM06 (I will eventually get both), I order a few hundred more rounds of 9 and look to see if Southnarc has decided to schedule ECQC closer than two states away.

Matt

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Have you read the Storm of War by Andrew Roberts? It’s an excellent book that covers all of WW2. The audio version is 27 hours and I’ve listened to it three times.
    Added to the list! Thanks

I learned that although I dislike Glocks as an ugly gun, I shoot them very well so I'll just stick to Glock

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    1. Sprints and HIIT are no replacement for road work and or 20-60 minute slow cardio. And it makes everything else easier.

2. Presentation to one or two rounds is where the most bang for the buck is for training shooting.

3. Chasing PRs in the weight room has diminishing returns after a while, but it is easy to maintain 80% max strength with a little consistency.

3. Three Glocks and a ton of ammo is the correct answer to “which gun” questions for basically everyone.
    I like the way you think, Doc. Bravo.

So many good posts here...I'm certain to learn something...(aside from the fact that my dad jokes are not always appreciated. I'll work on that...part time).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

1) No matter how much I deny it, I'm a 1911 guy at heart.
    2) Ford Fiesta/Mazda 2 suspension bolts are torque-to-yield and need to be replaced when you replace shocks and struts; you have to order them directly from Ford or Mazda
    3) A beautiful wife and hard work makes a beautiful life.
    4) Trying to be as good as the person my dog thinks I am is hard, but worth it.
    5) If you don't lift, you don't maintain strength.
    6) Facebook is indeed a time sink, but I've lost track of friends and family this year and therefore I find value in it.

A re-learn: No matter how well you do your job, someone, somewhere, is not going to do their job and you'll end up behind/delayed because someone else is a fuck up. If you can avoid depending on someone else, that's ideal, but everything will be delayed and fucked up, because someone can't do their job.

1. Getting rid of Facebook. Spending time doing things that actually benefit me.

2. Dry-fire everyday. I have seen a marked improvement since August.

3. Gave up booze for 30 days, twice. Slept better than I have in a long time and didn't eat as much garbage.

4. Eat healthier and take fewer supplements.

5. I really enjoy the daily long walks to listen to podcasts and audiobooks..

6. Implementing 40 mins long slow distance cardio several times a week.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    1. Getting rid of Facebook. Spending time doing things that actually benefit me.

2. Dry-fire everyday. I have seen a marked improvement since August.

3. Gave up booze for 30 days, twice. Slept better than I have in a long time and didn't eat as much garbage.

4. Eat healthier and take fewer supplements.

5. I really enjoy the daily long walks to listen to podcasts and audiobooks..

6. Implementing 40 mins long slow distance cardio several times a week.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a lot of healthy improvements.

After the past 6 months of major deteriorating personal standards and health as a super dramatic and stressful relationship reached a conclusion, I am doing a 6-month dry spell, exercise, and took social media off my phone. Last time I did this in 2017 i lost 40 pounds. Hoping it's for good this time.

User Tag List