Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: “Why do you carry a gun?”

I never bring it up, and I avoid responding to questions about it. As someone else here stated, concealment is not only a physical dynamic.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    I have been asked this question, more in recent years than use to be. It seems people aren't asking to pass judgement, but asking to convince themselves of the times we live in. As an Instructor, I get this conversation a lot. My usual response is par for what most have said:
    "Law Enforcement is minutes away, when seconds count"
    "I can not carry a police officer in my pocket"
    "It's Rescue equipment, just like your smoke detector, fire extinguisher and GFI"

But it all changed how I answered, when I was invited a party, that I knew many was not shall we say "favor the personal right". Long story short, I had two ladies come up to me, and say "that gentleman over there, said you was a conceal carry instructor, we was just curious what you teach it and carry". I did not plan this it just happened. I stood there for a few seconds, then started glancing toward each person in the room, as the ladies followed my gaze, I said with pointing my finger "Texas tower, Miami-Dade, Luby's restaurant, Auora Theater...", one of the ladies stopped me and said with a smile, "What are you talking about?" I then began to give each of them a very short synopsis of each incident. I then followed it up with "No one has the right to hurt or kill me and the ones I love. So, I do the responsible thing and try to protect myself and them."

This led to them asking much more questions about the incidents and other information. As we talked, we ended up gathering a group of about 9 people around, and turned into a very nice discussion and I could see the "veil" being lifted from their eyes. It then hit me after the party, that instead of just making a statement like above, that when you lay out the examples that was left to us in history, they are forced to wake up. This is what I have used since, then mixing in other comments as above. I have had people, go and "google" some of the shootings, and them come back with eye's the size of saucers. This seems to offer the best results for me.

Side Note: The two ladies ended up taking my invite for a basic class, both are now active CCL members and one is now an Instructor.
    Very nice explanation of how to succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I've adapted Clint Smith's response of why we shoot and practice shooting, "Because I'm not gonna die from a lack of fighting back."

And that, I've discovered, is a really good answer for most folks. If they accept that there is a non-zero chance of being attacked or victimized in a violent assault, then acquisition, training, and carriage of tools that allow you to fight back is perfectly logical. In my experience the challenge, "Why do you carry a gun?" is an illogical one. It strikes someone as unreasonable if they haven't thought it through. Point out the logical connections and the challenge tends to fade away quickly.

I've (twice) gotten, "Well who do you think you're going to fight?"

"No one, is my hope. But if someone comes to fight me, I don't intend to die from a lack of fighting back."

And that has literally, never drawn another response other than, "Huh."

I avoid answering the question, which comes up as my postion on the 2a and love of firearms is no secret at work. I live in a VERY conservative, pro-gun area. Many of my students have impressive arsenals. (One of my students successfully got under my skin a little by gloating about his Delta Elite.)

Honest answer:"I'm smart enough to understand LE are not my personal bodyguards, so I take responsibility for my own defense."
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    I agree with Rob's statements that he attributes to Clint Smith. Oddly many others are disturbed when reminded about social predators and what they are capable of doing. My older brother, who now carries(I gave him a vintage 42), at one time would tell me that he went all over North America and was never accosted. But with age he realized that being armed gave him choices. He's 82 and mentally strong and alert. Physically he is not doing well.

The psychology of denial allows some folks to ignore dangers present in our population. Those that fled the city and swelled suburbs are hesitant to discuss problems left behind. It seems that crime issues and their causes now make up an unmentionable category. I know this first hand. When talking about guns, I will not allow myself to be put in a defensive position in what has become an argument. So I have very little to say on the subject of carrying a weapon if the topic arises in my presence.

I usually don't bring it up to people I don't really know.
    But if pressed, I go with "because I can". And then can get into a whole lecture about how the Right to Keep and Bear Arms has historically been limited to only the Aristocracy, and that as an American Citizen yadda yadda.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

"Because it's a lighter burden than regret."
    That is brilliant !
    Last edited by 1slow; 01-04-2019 at 12:01 AM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    That is brilliant !
    I stole it from Breda, a former gunblogger.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I stole it from Breda, a former gunblogger.
    Ha she mentioned that quote on Squirrel Report podcast last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm usually at a loss on the very rare occasion I'm asked. Having been raised by cops and nurses, it's always just been a given that weapons are a thing one carries because dangerous people exist. Might have more trouble understanding the question than the person asking it does my handgun if I'm being honest. But I don't do gunchat with anyone I don't both like and know well and even not a lot of them so I happily remain without standardized reply.

Get questions about my manpurse somewhat regularly, though. Evidently having water, small medkit, deck of cards, bike tool, protective gloves, hat, paperback, snack, and cordage nearby is some Burt Gummer stuff? The questions usually come as I pull whatever thing out and it is patently obviously coming in handy at the moment. Those folk just get ignored. Maybe a momentary blank stare and slight head shake.

User Tag List