Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: “Why do you carry a gun?”

“Why do you carry a gun?”

I have been this on several occasions. The “question” is usually posed more as a challenge to my judgement than as a genuinely objective inquiry. The following is my typical reply;

“Yes, it may seem a bit crazy to some, but I do indeed carry a gun most of the time when I am legally able to do so. But if you think that’s crazy, listen to this…

“I keep a fire extinguisher in the house, which is crazy because there will never be a spill of grease on a hot stove (or a hot ember flying out of the fireplace), starting a small fire that could grow into a big one.

“I have a generator in my garage that I faithfully maintain, and a handful of flashlights in the event of a power outage. Of course, power outages only occur in the minds of crazy people.

“I also keep a few gallons of bottled water on-hand in the event my well pump dies, which is as crazy as keeping the fire extinguisher handy.

“But it’s what I carry in my car that’s really over-the-line bat shit crazy…

“In a soft tool bag stowed in the trunk I carry a small electric compressor and a tire pressure gauge because I’ll never-ever have a nail in a tire causing a slow leak and my TPMS warning light to illuminate. Besides, who in their right mind would want to simply re-inflate the tire and drive to the nearest service station instead of experiencing the thrill of changing a tire on the shoulder of a busy interstate?

“Just as crazy I keep a fully-charged flashlight in the console, for what reason I do not know...

“But even crazier, during the winter months I carry a small travel duffel in the car with thermal underwear, a pair of insulated waterproof boots, a pair of insulated gloves and a hooded sweatshirt (to wear under my coat) because snow storms never happen here in New Hampshire during the work-day commute, much less anyone ever gets stuck in one and has to walk home (or to the nearest shelter).

“And of course, violent crime never happens. I will never be targeted, be the victim of a home invasion, or ever need to defend myself or a family member against a vicious assault. Such things only happen in the minds of the paranoid.

“So just like the fire extinguisher, the generator, the flashlights, the bottled water and the emergency supplies I carry in my car, the pistol carried concealed in a holster under my belt is just another example of my irrational preparation for things that will never happen.”
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-27-2018 at 07:55 AM.

I have found that it is usually posed as a challenge instead 9f a genuine question...in those cases it's a waste to try and be rational with them so my response now is some variation on "because I'm a fucking American" or "because I'm free fucking man" they are being rude and confrontational so I see no use in trying to placate or appease them

Site Supporter
    "Because when seconds count, the police are only a few minutes away."
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I have been this on several occasions. The “question” is usually posed more as a challenge to my judgement than as a genuinely objective inquiry.
    "Why do you care?" or I just give them a dismissive, condescending look and walk away.

Luckily I live in an area where a gun toter is rarely negatively judged.
    When I go to places that have judgmental pricks I either respond in kind or just don't respond at all.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

My response: "Why don't you?"

When they tell me its because they don't need it I just shrug and say "hope you're right."

Not my job, or worry, to change the mind of every ignorant person out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    I have found that it is usually posed as a challenge instead 9f a genuine question...in those cases it's a waste to try and be rational with them so my response now is some variation on "because I'm a fucking American" or "because I'm free fucking man" they are being rude and confrontational so I see no use in trying to placate or appease them
    I find reason administered with a combination of self-deprecation and sarcasm to be both effective and gratifying. Mix in a condescending smile if you're feeling especially mean-spirited.

Of course the response is different when asked by those interested in meaningful discourse.

I try, really try, to avoid this conversation by virtually never bringing up the subject of guns or concealed carry.

Going to or from the range with my range bag I try to be very discreet. I ask my wife not to discuss the fact we have firearms in the house with anyone. I never wear Gun Culture apparel outside of the Range or a Training Class.

I suppose if I were asked, directly, I’d say “because I might have to use it” and leave it at that. In actual fact no one has ever asked me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quit having those conversations.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Both sides of my family know I’m the “gun guy” and don’t care one way or the other. Most are pro-CCW in concept even if they don’t want one themselves, and for the most part their interest in firearms stops at hunting. So this debate is pretty much avoided.

For everybody else, they don’t need to know. I don’t care if they do but I’m not inclined to tell everyone. Although at church I’m (nominally because nobody else wanted to do it) Head of Security so I’ve been asked multiple times if I have a gun, and I just respond back, “Do I need one today?”

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Not my job, or worry, to change the mind of every ignorant person out there.
    I respectfully disagree.

With the growing levels of hoplophobia in the U.S. (and the growing number of hoplophobic politicians reaching office), I believe it needs to be actively confronted and challenged. Having an arsenal of reason and the verbal tools to deliver it is something IMO worth developing.

In the battle for 2A rights at the voting booth, I strongly believe that engagement (in whatever tone it needs to take) with the ignorant is far better that outright dismissal. It's our battle to lose.

User Tag List