Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six Years of EDC With a Benchmade 940

Six Years of EDC With a Benchmade 940

Putting this out as a data point on a popular, well-regarded EDC blade.

The upper knife has been my EDC for the last six years. I use it for everything: opening letters and boxes, cutting food, digging splinters and thorns out of my skin, and cutting rope/string/cordage/targets/ammo boxes/whatever else needs to get cut.

It’s been through the washing machine a couple of times, and I've used it to field dress and gut a blacktail deer and filet a king salmon. I've sharpened it on DMT stones so many times that the blade shape has changed from a modified clip point to a near-Wharncliffe, and the handles are pretty banged up. It's easy to sharpen to a razor edge, and it holds that edge well despite the abuse that I heap upon it daily.

The lower knife is new, and was bought as a spare. I may send the old one to Benchmade for a tune-up. After six years of service, it's about due.

Let me know if you have questions.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

That top one has definielty been sharpened a lot!

I like my 940 but seldom carry it. Instead it's my Griptilian with D2 tool steel in my pocket most days. But I have been tempted to buy one of the more recent carbon fiber 940's.
    Last edited by Mark D; 12-27-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Site Supporter
    I have the same 940. I’ve had mine for at least 5 years. It’s the best edc I’ve had for casual or church carry. I still use a Griptilian of some variety for “workman” chores, then use the 940 for a bit of elegance.

BTW- Benchmade’s blade replacement prices are very reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Putting this out as a data point on a popular, well-regarded EDC blade.

The upper knife has been my EDC for the last six years. I use it for everything: opening letters and boxes, cutting food, digging splinters and thorns out of my skin, and cutting rope/string/cordage/targets/ammo boxes/whatever else needs to get cut.

It’s been through the washing machine a couple of times, and I've used it to field dress and gut a blacktail deer and filet a king salmon. I've sharpened it on DMT stones so many times that the blade shape has changed from a modified clip point to a near-Wharncliffe, and the handles are pretty banged up. It's easy to sharpen to a razor edge, and it holds that edge well despite the abuse that I heap upon it daily.

The lower knife is new, and was bought as a spare. I may send the old one to Benchmade for a tune-up. After six years of service, it's about due.

Let me know if you have questions.

Okie John
    John how do you like the thumb stud versus the Spyderco hole? I carry a PM 2 but want something less aggressive looking for work. The 940 looks great I’m just not familiar with it or Benchmade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    John how do you like the thumb stud versus the Spyderco hole? I carry a PM 2 but want something less aggressive looking for work. The 940 looks great I’m just not familiar with it or Benchmade.
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I haven't carried a Spyderco in years.

Benchmade and Spyderco are both are rock solid. Buy without fear.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Ease of opening is less about thumb stud v. hole and is more about placement of the stud or hole relative to the handle and the blade pivot. Having a handle size and shape, and a pocket clip position that all work together to put the hand in the right position for easy opening are also important.

I have both Spyderco and Benchmade knives, and like both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I haven't carried a Spyderco in years.

Benchmade and Spyderco are both are rock solid. Buy without fear.

Okie John
    Thanks for the recommendation John. I love this thing. Great lock for a lefty, feels stout, and razor sharp out of the box. BM customer service is very good too. I called them to ask about a deep carry pocket clip and they are sending me one free of charge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation John. I love this thing. Great lock for a lefty, feels stout, and razor sharp out of the box. BM customer service is very good too. I called them to ask about a deep carry pocket clip and they are sending me one free of charge.
    Glad to help. Will you post before and after shots of the knife with the deep-carry clip? I'd like to see that.

thanks,

Okie John

Glad to help. Will you post before and after shots of the knife with the deep-carry clip? I'd like to see that.

thanks,

Okie John
    I will do that as soon as I get it.

thanks,

Okie John
    Here you go John.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

User Tag List