Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: They Shall Not Grow Old

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I saw it today. It is more of a "must see" than any of the pictures vying for an Academy Award.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I saw it again today. It’s still outstanding on the second viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

It was very well done. An impressive technical achievement as well.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Saw it tonight. I was pretty impressed with what they were able to do with the cruddy warped old film we all know about from that time period.

The route they took was also interesting. WWI has always been fascinating since it's the hybrid imperial/modernized war and yet there's next to no media from that period, but the real interesting bit was how it was portrayed via interview clips. A couple generations ago (barely a few years) the world was socially a wildly different place.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Just saw it. A remarkable cinematic achievement. Wonderfully done and awe inspiring. Loved the behind the scenes after the credits as well. Go see it.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

The BBC’s documentary series from the early ‘60s is worth watching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Es4zhqqM5lU will take you to the first one.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Why is this only shown on certain nights?

Is there a streaming plan? I live in the semi-sticks and I know it won’t play here.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Why is this only shown on certain nights?

Is there a streaming plan? I live in the semi-sticks and I know it won’t play here.
    Limited release, but there's going to be another round.

AP: Peter Jackson’s “They Shall Not Grow Old” Marches on, to 150 Markets across North America

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan 23, 2019--Warner Bros. Pictures is widening the front for Peter Jackson’s widely acclaimed World War I documentary, “They Shall Not Grow Old.” The studio will expand the release of the film to 500 theatres across 150 markets throughout the U.S. and Canada, beginning on Friday, February 1, 2019, with special pre-shows the evening before. The announcement was made today by Jeff Goldstein, President, Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

The Warner Bros. release comes following the film’s hugely successful Fathom Events dates, which yielded record-setting results. “They Shall Not Grow Old” took in $8.34 million, making it the highest-grossing U.S. Cinema Event release ever.

Jackson’s stunning restoration of footage from more than a century ago has received rapturous praise from both critics and audiences, and just earned a BAFTA Award nomination for Best Documentary. It is Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with an impressive 97% positive reviews and received an A CinemaScore.

In his announcement, Goldstein said, “We are proud to share Peter Jackson’s outstanding documentary with audiences across North America. Bringing us into the trenches and onto the battlefield of the Great War, the film stands as a powerful reminder of the sacrifices made by all those who serve, both then and now.”

From Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson (“The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy, “The Hobbit” Trilogy) comes the groundbreaking documentary “They Shall Not Grow Old,” presented on the centenary of the end of the First World War.

Applying state-of-the-art restoration, colorization and 3D technologies to century-old footage—carefully chosen from hundreds of hours of original Great War film held in the archives of the Imperial War Museum (IWM)—Jackson has created an intensely gripping, immersive and authentic cinematic experience. The only narration comes from Great War veterans themselves, selected from over 600 hours of BBC and IWM archive interviews, resulting in a gripping account of “The War to End All Wars,” told by the soldiers who experienced it.

By restoring the original footage to a standard never seen before, the human face of WWI emerges with vivid clarity through the fog of time. Jackson captures the day-to-day experience of its soldiers and reveals the reality of war for those on the front line: their attitudes about the conflict; their camaraderie and their need for humor amidst the horror; the functions of daily life in the trenches; and what their lives were like during periods of rest. Using cutting-edge techniques to transform the images of a century ago into footage that could have been shot today, Jackson both remembers and honors a generation changed forever by a global war.

“They Shall Not Grow Old” was directed by Peter Jackson and produced by Clare Olssen and Jackson, with Ken Kamins, Tessa Ross, Di Lees and Jenny Waldman serving as executive producers. The film was edited by Jabez Olssen. The music is by David Donaldson, Janet Roddick & Steve Roche.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

It was #4 at the box office on Monday.

This is a serous must-see movie.

I’m reading the “Guns of August” ; it’s a shockingly powerful tale of human & organizational weaknesses and mistakes, some of which we’d keep repeating right into 2001 and beyond. WWI was a tragedy made more horrid by the fact it didn’t have to happen.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List