Thread: Massachusetts Magazine Limits and Gunbroker

Massachusetts Magazine Limits and Gunbroker

I am 99.99% sure about what I am going to do, but wanted to post the question here to make sure I am not missing anything.

Last week I listed a pistol and multiple 16 round magazines for sale on Gunbroker. The buyer that won the auction is from MA. The buyer says that he is in the process of getting his own FFL. The buyer says that the FFL in MA that is going to receive the item is going to hold the magazines until the buyer is issued his own FFL. The buyer states that an FFL is allowed to own hi-cap post-ban mags. Confused yet? I am.

I cannot find exception to the law that bans possession of post-ban hi-cap mags in MA. The buyers explanation of the FFL "holding onto the magazines" sounds fishy. The buyer stating that it will be legal for him to own hi-cap post-ban mags does not match what I am reading. So, I am 99.99% sure I am not going to sell to the buyer in MA and will realist the pistol. However, I wanted to touch base with the membership here to see if I am missing something here and should sell to this guy.

Any insight into this situation would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrockclimb View Post
    I am 99.99% sure about what I am going to do, but wanted to post the question here to make sure I am not missing anything.

Last week I listed a pistol and multiple 16 round magazines for sale on Gunbroker. The buyer that won the auction is from MA. The buyer says that he is in the process of getting his own FFL. The buyer says that the FFL in MA that is going to receive the item is going to hold the magazines until the buyer is issued his own FFL. The buyer states that an FFL is allowed to own hi-cap post-ban mags. Confused yet? I am.

I cannot find exception to the law that bans possession of post-ban hi-cap mags in MA. The buyers explanation of the FFL "holding onto the magazines" sounds fishy. The buyer stating that it will be legal for him to own hi-cap post-ban mags does not match what I am reading. So, I am 99.99% sure I am not going to sell to the buyer in MA and will realist the pistol. However, I wanted to touch base with the membership here to see if I am missing something here and should sell to this guy.

Any insight into this situation would be appreciated.
    Since it's going through an ffl, it's more of the buyer's problem if they wont complete the transfer, but, I think there are other fish to fry here, mags aren't your only problem. I would think an ffl could possess the mags since they also sell to law enforcement, but I really cant speak intelligently to that. What I do know is that pistols sold in MA have to be mass compliant and have to be on the approved handguns roster. There is a roster maintained by the state police. Significantly adding to the confusion is that not every gun on the roster is MA compliant, per the attorney general, so there are guns on the roster that still cant be sold (glocks made after 98 being the best example.) There are certain features they have to have (ie. min 10lb trigger pull, etc.)

I went down the rabbit hole on this in an effort to sell to a friend from MA and we both came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the hassle to find out if we were legit or not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Too much fishy going on here, and not really worth the hassle.
    I'd pass on the sale.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List