Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Treat me like the newbie I am

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    This comment seems to miss the point of the videos and why I posted them.

That said, if the DA isn’t your thing then I’d suggest you stick with striker fired guns. I know carrying a cocked DASA seems similar to striker gun, but the SIGPro isn’t designed to be carried that way. SIG Sauer would tell you this is a bad idea and everyone I’d consider worth listening to would tell you the same. Anyway, there’s likely threads discussing this in more detail.
    I made that comment and the moderator hadn't released my comment. I was typing out responses and they were being held up.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    This comment seems to miss the point of the videos and why I posted them.

That said, if the DA isn’t your thing then I’d suggest you stick with striker fired guns. I know carrying a cocked DASA seems similar to striker gun, but the SIGPro isn’t designed to be carried that way. SIG Sauer would tell you this is a bad idea and everyone I’d consider worth listening to would tell you the same. Anyway, there’s likely threads discussing this in more detail.
    Anyway, I watched the videos and yes, I learned a lot right then. He's got some good pointers I will be practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonHines View Post

My main goal is to be utterly just as proficient as I possibly can be...
    What does the bolded part mean?

I’m getting you want to be “proficient”, but I’m not sure what it is? Do you have a specific, measurable objective in mind?

Not trying to be a Dick here. Just trying to help you get to where you want to go. My professional background is in Instructional Systems Design in the Aerospace Industry for the last 30+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    What does the bolded part mean?

I’m getting you want to be “proficient”, but I’m not sure what it is? Do you have a specific, measurable objective in mind?

Not trying to be a Dick here. Just trying to help you get to where you want to go. My professional background is in Instructional Systems Design in the Aerospace Industry for the last 30+ years.
    That's just it: I don't know how to measure proficient. I should be able to aptly draw from a variety of positions and circumstances and put holes in the target. That's the best way I know how to say it.

That's just it: I don't know how to measure proficient. I should be able to aptly draw from a variety of positions and circumstances and put holes in the target. That's the best way I know how to say it.
    Excellent answer!!

Now we are talking.

Let’s add - In how many seconds?

And - Accuracy - to what standard?

So, a refinement of your goal would be:

“Under ideal conditions, I would like to be able to, on demand, draw from my everyday carry rig and achieve ACCURACY STANDARD (ex: a first round hit in the A-Zone of a USPSA Metric Target) within TIME STANDARD (ex: 1.5s).

How does that sound?

Excellent answer!!

Now we are talking.

“Under ideal conditions, I would like to be able to, on demand, draw from my everyday carry rig and achieve ACCURACY STANDARD (ex: a first round hit in the A-Zone of a USPSA Metric Target) within TIME STANDARD (ex: 1.5s).

How does that sound?

That sounds fantastic, but I don't know how to fill in those spaces yet.

I’ll be right back.

Excellent answer!!

Now we are talking.

How does that sound?
    Sorry - Forgot one: RANGE STANDARD (ex: 7 yards).

Treat me like the newbie I am

Ok, so, sounds like you need to determine “where you are” with regard to setting up some achievable goals?

Let’s take them in turn.

For TIME STANDARD since you mentioned the draw, how quickly can you get the gun out and achieve a first round shot on target?

For ACCURACY STANDARD what targets do you use currently at the range? A good place to start is a simple NRA B-8 Repair Center. It has scoring rings for numeric evaluations. Other options include ‘zones’ or shapes such as 1” squares, 2” circles, etc.

For RANGE STANDARD obviously there is a lot of benefit of varying ranges in practice. Commonly selected ranges are 3, 7, 10 and out to 25 yards. 7 yd is commonly used as a benchmark.

Selecting from the above parameters kind of depends on where you are currently with your shooting.

This is why I suggested you shoot The Test (10 rounds in 10 seconds at 10 yards on a B-8) and post the target picture here. It will go a long way to allow others to chime in to help you get some reasonable goals.

Hope this helps?

Forgot to ask: What constraints do you have on your shooting? Square range only? Private property?
    Last edited by RJ; 12-28-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Ok, so, sounds like you need to determine “where you are” with regard to setting up some achievable goals?

Let’s take them in turn.

For TIME STANDARD since you mentioned the draw, how quickly can you get the gun out and achieve a first round shot on target?

For ACCURACY STANDARD what targets do you use currently at the range? A good place to start is a simple NRA B-8 Repair Center. It has scoring rings for numeric evaluations. Other options include ‘zones’ or shapes such as 1” squares, 2” circles, etc.

For RANGE STANDARD obviously there is a lot of benefit of varying ranges in practice. Commonly selected ranges are 3, 7, 10 and out to 25 yards. 7 yd is commonly used as a benchmark.

Selecting from the above parameters kind of depends on where you are currently with your shooting.

This is why I suggested you shoot The Test (10 rounds in 10 seconds at 10 yards on a B-8) and post the target picture here. It will go a long way to allow others to chime in to help you get some reasonable goals.

Hope this helps?

TIME STANDARD Probably about a second on AIWB. I need to get a timer, which I should figure out which one this weekend and get it ordered.

ACCURACY STANDARD whatever I get at the local shop. I'm sure it's not a standard.

RANGE STANDARD I practice mainly at 7 yards and close up, probably 1 yard. I know that needs to be varied.

User Tag List