Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Treat me like the newbie I am

Question Treat me like the newbie I am

Hey folks,

I'm new. First post is right now.

I've been around firearms my whole life and as little as I get to shoot, just a few times a year, I need training. I want to get to the point where I am doing exercises every couple of days in the house and live firing at least a couple boxes of ammo every week.

Can somebody point me in the right direction on Youtube to some no-nonsense fundamental training that I can work on until I build myself up to paying somebody $350 for a day or two for pistol training?

Just some info: I use a Sig P2022 and an AIWB holster and a Sig P320 Carry in a IWB at 4 o'clock.

Please, tell me where to start!

Site Supporter
    Merry Christmas and welcome! You came to a great place! Search and read my friend!

Where are you located so we know what trainers are near you?
    Last edited by Guinnessman; 12-25-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Merry Christmas and welcome! You came to a great place! Search and read my friend!

Where are you located so we know what trainers are near you?
    Goldsboro, NC

Site Supporter
    Aside from reading the great discussions here, you might want to check out Lucky Gunner Ammo's YouTube channel, particularly the "shooting 101" and "start shooting better" playlists.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Ernest Langdon, Jerry Miculek, also have good video's on some fundamentals.

Also another resource that I recommend (although I need to save it here, somehow, for those different location/different computer times where I don't have bookmark access), is http://pistol-training.com/articles (also targets, etc)

Welcome to pistol-forum; you have come across one of the higher signal to noise ratio firearms-centered web sites there is, I believe. Great for you for wanting to improve.

A few questions?

What are you trying to achieve?

The more specificly you can answer that question, the more the experts here (I am not one) can help you get focused and headed in the right direction.

So for example, do you want to enhance your first shot accuracy from a concealed draw at 7 yards? Are you wanting to improve at competition scores in IDPA or USPSA? Do you want to improve on skills related to .mil or .leo tasks?

As a self-diagnosis, absent other objective measurements of where you are, have you shot or can you shoot 10 rounds at a NRA B-8 target at 10 yards in 10 seconds and post a picture of the target? That is a drill called "The Test". I use it as a barometer of where my skills are. I shoot it cold most every range session and find it is a good overall metric on my skills (or lack thereof lol) and ability to improve.

Another drill I shoot regularly is "Finding Your Level":

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ing-Your-Level

I went to the range for the first time in 2014; I suck at shooting but have been hanging around here for a few years and picked up a few things along the way. There are a lot of good threads here on the forum but it kind of depends on what you are looking for.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-26-2018 at 10:36 AM.

I’m not an expert either, nor am I telling you what to do. You might consider choosing one trigger system or the other until you are satisfied with your performance, whatever that means to you. Both are good guns, but learning both systems simultaneously may be more challenging without focused training. Just throwing it out there, not saying you’re wrong or will “get kil’t inda streetz!!1!”

As Rich mentioned above, hit us up with some current metrics and some target metrics. Maybe even start a Training Journal.

Welcome to the forum.
    David S.

First off, welcome to PF. This is a good place to learn about shooting, but you have to understand that the people who post here are shooters above all else. Some collect guns and may buy them for reasons other than to shoot them, but we focus on shooting when we're here. Many of us shoot tens of thousands of rounds every year and we have a marked preference for gear and techniques that work at that level of use. Despite (usually) being polite, some folks find us too intense for their liking.

Now, on to your specific questions.
    • You're not far from Ft. Bragg, one of the world's epicenters of shooting talent. A little bit of digging should find a good basic course for $100 or so. This will be an excellent investment.
    • Avoid instructors kitted up in SWAT gear--find someone who can teach you the fundamentals: stance, grip, sight alignment, trigger control, and follow through.
    • Beware of trying to learn too much too quickly. You can spend a lifetime mastering the fundamentals. There is a time and place to go farther but you're not there yet.
    • AIWB can be problematic for a new shooter, so I respectfully suggest that you set that rig aside for a while. Again, time and place.
    • I will not be the only one to tell you to pick one gun and focus on it exclusively. I'd say go with your 320 since you're already set up to carry it IWB at 4:00.
    • Be very careful with YouTube. Much of what you find there is unqualified people teaching things that are administratively unsafe and tactically unsound. Also, some reputable trainers post videos of themselves shooting drills that look easy but aren't, and that can be unsafe for a new shooter who has not had solid coaching and is not on the right type of range for the drill in question. The turn at the start of El Presidente is a classic example of a place where you can make fatal mistakes if you try it before you're ready. What those videos leave out can be far more important than what they contain.
    • You already own two solid handguns, so don't buy any more for a while. Not sure what holster/mag/carrier/belt you use, but you may need to upgrade them. After that, your next purchases should be a timer, a boatload of B-8 targets, five or six spare magazines, and a couple of cases of ammo. Ammo prices are at historic lows right now if that helps you prioritize.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I am BY NO MEANS an expert. I am a lifelong shooter (blasting cans and targets in the desert a few times a year since I was a kid), but only started seriously training about two years ago.

There are a lot of very experienced shooters, LEOs and firearms industry professionals on this site. I visit this site daily and have learned a lot by just reading posts. My first suggestion is to spend time studying what is already here. I have answered many of my own questions by just using the search function.

I would also suggest that you decide what gun you want to use and how you want to carry it. Stick to this setup. Don't change for a while. Don't buy more guns. Just use what you have and practice. A lot. A whole lot. Like all the time. Practice, practice, practice.

The range is great. However, I have found that dry fire the "secret" to improving fast. It has helped me to develop solid fundamental gun handling skills. Dry fire practice has also helped me to VERY dramatically improve my speed and accuracy.

Competing in local club matches has helped me to improve. I look at my weekly matches as part of my training and a way to gauge my progress. I have also met a lot of cool people that know more about shooting than me.

I have only taken one class. It was taught by a local USPSA GM. I got a lot out of it. I did not experience immediate improvement. Rather, he gave me the tools I needed and the roadmap of how to practice and improve. I fully intend to take more classes from a few people that post on this site.

I hope this helps. There are a lot of others members here with A LOT more experience than me. If they contradict what I have said here, listen to them.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Welcome!

Where to start: the same place everyone else does, at the beginning. Lucky for you, by joining here you're skipping the step of being forced to filter through a bunch of baloney without knowing if it's baloney or not. While the posters here may agree to disagree now and then, any truly Bad Ideas are dismissed.

If you were my next door neighbor and strolled over to ask me the same questions, here's what I'd say. Don't sell your guns or holsters, but don't buy any more either. Buy ammo, take a class or two, and draw and dry-fire a lot. Once you've got fundamentals down (some of us are still working on it :/ ) and you're very familiar with your weapon then you can make an informed decision on what you need. Your current weapons are fine. Don't chase gear.

User Tag List