Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubrisizer?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Yeah, I know I need dies and top punches. I'll start with my two most critical (from a production perspective) calibers and expand to the others over time.

Chris
    Id suggest signing up on the castboolits forum and watching the sale and trade sections and threads. Many guys sell stuff they no longer use. You can likely find some deals over what new costs.

The top punch for Lyman bullets is usually the last three digits of the mould number. They can probably be used with other similar styles, but are cut to exactly fit whatever mould they number to. Moulds come up for reasonable prices also.

I chugged through using pan lubing when I was first shooting my 1886 Winchester back in the early 80s, and a 44 spl Colt SAA. I was shooting black mostly, there wasnt much affordable ammo in either caliber regardless. I preferred to shoot cast in the 1886 in deference to its old steel barrel (1889-ish production I think), so there was NO store bought ammo that fit that criteria then. It was fun to be able to make ammo for it and shoot it, but its slow and tedious compared to the luber sizer. The fun faded over time. I still have the equipment, Id do it again if I had to, but I dont have to.

I also used a Lyman 310 tool for much of that period of shooting those guns, I was pretty portable. Not very fast, but it made ammo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I used a Star for a while. More expensive than the Lyman, but head and shoulders above it.

Okie John
    I saw lots of suggestions to that effect, but between my Cabela's gift card and points, the Lyman was free. Plus, if it's a dud, I can easily return it to Cabela's.

Chris

After using the pan lube, the Lyman will seem like a huge step forward.

Its all relative. I can still feed many of my reloading needs for some calibers on a single stage press (actually, could fill all my reloading needs, as I did for most of the time Ive been shooting), though a Dillon 550 I inherited is better for volume. Some guys wouldnt feel it was worth their time to reload on anything less than the 1050 with case and bullet feeders, and cleaning cases by the bucket full. I cant fault their logic, it just isnt my reality at this point. The Lyman may completely fill your needs just fine.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-26-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Id suggest signing up on the castboolits forum and watching the sale and trade sections and threads. Many guys sell stuff they no longer use. You can likely find some deals over what new costs.
    Been a member there for years using the same name I use here. I'm not very active though and mostly lurk.

Chris

Do the Lyman and RCBS dies and top punches interchange ? I have my grandpas Lyman lubrisizer and an RCBS mold and hope to take up casting sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Do the Lyman and RCBS dies and top punches interchange ? I have my grandpas Lyman lubrisizer and an RCBS mold and hope to take up casting sometime.
    I don't know about the dies, but I'm guessing the top punches are universal.
    When I order a mold, they don't give a top punch option for rcbs or lyman, it just comes with one top punch stem.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What makes it a PITA? They seem a little fiddly to set up, but once they're dialed in, seem to be pretty straightforward. It seems the key is not putting too much pressure on the lube.

I've looked into powder coating. I'm not interested in going down that path.

ETA: Yeah, I know I need dies and top punches. I'll start with my two most critical (from a production perspective) calibers and expand to the others over time.

Chris
    It's been 4-5 years since I've used it. My recollection is that the O ring seal would go bad readily, and cause the unit to leak.

I don't have the heater (I used an incandescent lamp to warm it up), and this is the version before the current version. Either of those might make the difference.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    What I read is the dies mostly do, but you'll find some that don't. Those that don't can be modified apparently.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I've been using Lyman and RCBS lubrisizers for decades. The top punches and dies interchange. They are faster and less messy than other methods. Mine do not have heaters. Sometimes you can skip sizing and shoot as cast and lubed with alox cut mineral spirits. I suggest that you buy used lubrisizer and save money. I'm no expert but have been casting since 1970. I love it. PM me if I might could help.

Site Supporter
    So I finally got the .430 die I needed for my 44mag and proceeded to size/lube a pile of bullets I cast ages ago. I went through enough to fill a 16oz tub in no time. That was only 1/4 of what I have on hand. I should have bought one of these years ago.

Chris

User Tag List