Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubrisizer?

Site Supporter

Lubrisizer?

I have been reloading most of my ammo for about 20 years now and have been casting for a number calibers for close to 10 years. One step in the bullet casting process is sizing and lubrication. I've been using Lee push-through sizer dies and either liquid Alox for tumble lubing or melted wax-based lube for pan lubing. Both are accepted methods, but tend to be messy and tedious (not to mention tumble-lubing not being ideal for all uses). As a result, I find myself casting less often these days because I will have to lube the bullets and that's my least favorite part of the process.

I cast for 44cal (handgun and in sabots for muzzleloader rifle), 357cal handgun, 359cal rifle, 32cal handgun (and size those down for 30cal rifle).

Fast forward to today...

My inlaws gave me a gift card to Cabelas for Christmas. I don't need more guns, ammo, camping gear, etc. However, while browsing the site, I came across the Lyman 4500 lubrisizer with heater. I'm thinking this might be a good addition to the reloading/casting kit but have never used one before.

Anyone have any experience? Will it revolutionize my casting?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I have been reloading most of my ammo for about 20 years now and have been casting for a number calibers for close to 10 years. One step in the bullet casting process is sizing and lubrication. I've been using Lee push-through sizer dies and either liquid Alox for tumble lubing or melted wax-based lube for pan lubing. Both are accepted methods, but tend to be messy and tedious (not to mention tumble-lubing not being ideal for all uses). As a result, I find myself casting less often these days because I will have to lube the bullets and that's my least favorite part of the process.

I cast for 44cal (handgun and in sabots for muzzleloader rifle), 357cal handgun, 359cal rifle, 32cal handgun (and size those down for 30cal rifle).

Fast forward to today...

My inlaws gave me a gift card to Cabelas for Christmas. I don't need more guns, ammo, camping gear, etc. However, while browsing the site, I came across the Lyman 4500 lubrisizer with heater. I'm thinking this might be a good addition to the reloading/casting kit but have never used one before.

Chris
    You can also try powder coating. I've tried HiTek coating before & I didn't like it because you have to bake it twice.
    With powder coating, you just shake everything in a plastic container & bake once.
    They key part is getting the right powder that'll stick to boolits.

But if you don't care for the extra step of baking & the smell/fine powders, then a lubesizer is seems to be next best thing. I don't have experience with lube sizing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qoi6T7Wjswo
    Last edited by edison; 12-25-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    You can also try powder coating.
    I looked into a couple years ago, but It's a bit more space intensive (toaster oven, etc) than my current pan lubing endeavors and I'm not convinced it isn't harmful to the gun. I don't recall where I read it, but there have been some concerns over abrasiveness of the coatings.

I think the lubrisizer will fit in the space my lube pan, kake cutters, and other stuff is currently stored.

Chris

Chris
    Compared to pan lubing and a Lee push-through sizer die, yes, absolutely it will revolutionize your casting experience.

Once the ram is adjusted, place bullet on ram, run handle down, slight pause, and up, place bullet in container of choice, repeat, about that quickly. Slight turn of the screw on the lube feed at each bullet at the pause or at whatever required intervals to keep the lube filling the lube grooves well. It also gives you options for better grades of lube that are messy to deal with otherwise. The hard lubes arent generally as good at their job as some softer types like SPG or the old style Lyman Alox stick lube (NOT the same as the Lee liquid alox, which attempted to copy it but in a thinner, messier format and gets all over the bullet nose).

6 min vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkjx3UYZR-A
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-25-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. That video wasn't coming up on my searches. I'm a bit hesitant because this is will be the single most expensive piece of reloading/casting equipment I own, but I think it's worth it.

Chris

Thanks. That video wasn't coming up on my searches. I'm a bit hesitant because this is will be the single most expensive piece of reloading/casting equipment I own, but I think it's worth it.

Chris
    I think you will find it worthwhile. Ive done pan lubing for the first years I was casting, the luber sizer is a real time saver and makes casting and finishing the bullets fun again.

Fast forward to today...

Chris
    I have a 450, the predecessor to what you're looking at. PITA. Usual internet disclaimers apply (IMHO & YMMV).

If you do go with the lubrisizer, don't forget you'll also need a die and a top punch.

Look into powder coat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    makes casting and finishing the bullets fun again.
    That is exactly what I'm looking for.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    I have a 450, the predecessor to what you're looking at. PITA. Usual internet disclaimers apply (IMHO & YMMV).

If you do go with the lubrisizer, don't forget you'll also need a die and a top punch.

Look into powder coat.
    What makes it a PITA? They seem a little fiddly to set up, but once they're dialed in, seem to be pretty straightforward. It seems the key is not putting too much pressure on the lube.

I've looked into powder coating. I'm not interested in going down that path.

ETA: Yeah, I know I need dies and top punches. I'll start with my two most critical (from a production perspective) calibers and expand to the others over time.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 12-26-2018 at 07:07 AM.

I used a Star for a while. More expensive than the Lyman, but head and shoulders above it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List