Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Natural index?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    After years of shooting 1911’s, I could go from an armpit or chest index, punch straight out, and be on target. Glocks pointed high. This was remedied by bringing the weapon up into my line of sight then punching forward on a level plane. I can cheat with 1911’s, Glocks wont let me. Well this may or may not cost fractions of a second, it’s still faster than pointing high and trying to level out, stabilize, and find the sights. Because if I do I tend to bob the front sight back down, then back up.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    When you draw imagine a magnet on the tip of the barrel going directly to where you want to point on target. It's OK, normal and natural to use visual reference to line up sights, slide and use feel to adjust and correct as you push the gun towards the proper aiming point.
    I switch between Glock 19 and HK P30. Most of the time I train with the P30. When I switch to Glock, it used to point high. Then I've observed: If I hold the Glock grip loosely, then I feel if the slide is horizontal (I feel if it's balanced or not). This helps me to adapt faster to the Glock. At the beginning of the draw, I hold the grip loosely. I feel, if the slide is balanced, then I grip stronger.

I will try the magnet imagination, too. Sounds useful to me.
    Last edited by P30; 12-24-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My index for both guns was identical, in part because support hand position is similar on most guns.
    Do you happen to have any pics of how you place your support hand?

I use it as an excuse to keep buying 1911's

edit: To be serious, glocks point high for me. and when I got serious with them six months ago, tendinitis in my strong arm reared its ugly head. Back to the 1911 in dry fire and my elbow is back to 90%
    Last edited by theJanitor; 12-24-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Natural index?

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Do you happen to have any pics of how you place your support hand?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-24-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Hammertime
    VP9. [emoji51]

Glocks point high for me, compared to any other pistol. I've resolved the issue on two different Glock 19s, using two different methods:

1) A grip reduction by Cold Bore Custom. It required several months and a couple hundred dollars, but my CBC G19 points extremely well for me now.

2) A Grip Force Adaptor. It took five minutes and $15, but afterwards this particular G19 points perfectly.

I really like the Cold Bore Customs grip reduction, but if I had a time machine I'd just install the GFA on both 19's and drive on.

ETA: Mine are Gen 3s, so no adjustable backstraps.
    Last edited by Mark D; 12-24-2018 at 09:18 PM.

When switching from Beretta’s back to Glocks, the Glocks initially tended to point high. That went away with about a week of solid dry fire. Now, switching back to Beretta’s my index is off just slightly. But I am quite sure I could still shoot a Beretta today cold, with no dry fire practice, at a fairly high level.

Index is one thing, aligning your sights is another.

At the end of the day it is ALL about your sights. Are they aligned on your target (in focus or not - target focus or not, doesn’t really matter)?

I’m really not a big believer in grip angle being a huge issue. If you put in the work, anything feels natural after a few thousand repetitions.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Sticking with one gun for a while fixed it for me. I have a small issue in the first hour or two of switching between Glock and 1911, and it goes away.
    This ^^^. As clobbersaurus said it is all about your sights.

An index and a carry rotation are incompatible. Pick something as your primary and stick with it.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-26-2018 at 04:08 AM.

There are two approaches to this. You can adapt the pistol to you, by choosing one that points naturally for you. The other approach is to adapt your technique to the pistol.

Years ago, I found a Glock pointed high for me. Now, it points naturally. Since I didn’t modify the pistol, it is clear that I am holding the pistol differently. FWIW, a Glock and VP9 point the same for me.

If you choose to adapt to the pistol, through dry fire you will have to experiment enough to figure out what you need to do. This is not something you are likely to learn through reading.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List